Who is getting the Apple Watch?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
How many of those will be available for the Band? I think even Runtastic doesn't have a Band app yet.
I don't want to be impolite to a new forum member, but that's kind of a red herring -- the two devices are somewhat "apples and oranges." Maybe a more apt comparison would be the Apple Watch vs. Android Wear Watches?

​-Matt

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Lesson learnt from two words 'Cross Platform'. Microsoft makes software available for Apple, Android. Why doesn't Apple or Android do the same?

Because Microsoft is a developer/software company, Apple is the manufacturer. Again, I am NOT a ****** of any vendor, but you gotta think that developers will develop for the platform that has the most percentage of the market. At times it's Apple, and at times it's Android. Why do you think you see all of the apps lately dropping from the Windows Store? I'm sure it's not TOTALLY the reason, but I'm sure it's one of them.

I don't judge ANYONE for what they use, I just want whatever they use to work for THEM, that's all. And I do wish that apps were more cross-platform, that way people wouldn't have to choose a platform rated solely on apps available.

It's getting late, and I'm starting to blab... but I hope you all get my point...

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting -- and I SWEAR I'm not being snarky -- that we're up to 63 posts in this thread, and the OP (this time, I mean poster) hasn't posted here twice. It makes me wonder what was the intent of asking in the first place. I assume the answer is: because he or she genuinely wanted to know what this community thought about the two devices. While I still think they're very different beasts that serve very different needs/personalities/tastes/lifestyles/goals/pocketbooks, sure, you wear both on your wrist and they both talk to your cell phones. So at some level it makes sense to compare them. It's just a shame that we'll go around the block 6 times and not end up anywhere. Maybe a poll would have been a better way to go!

-Matt

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to be impolite to a new forum member, but that's kind of a red herring -- the two devices are somewhat "apples and oranges."

How so? Just because Microsoft markets the Band as a fitness device? Both, the Apple Watch as well as the Band, are typical wearables. Otherwise MS wouldn't have implemented notifications, calls, sms, Cortana, etc. into the band. And otherwise MS wouldn't have provided a SDK for the band.

The problem is that MS has again released a nice hardware product but fails on the software side. I remember how developers always said with WP7/8 that they don't develop for the platform because of missing APIs. The same is happening right now with the Band.

Apple on the other hand is pushing developers into developing for the Apple Watch and has just recently started a "free Apple Watch for iOS developers" program.

The Apple Watch gets released about six months after the Band but still beats it by app support by a mile. There should be 1000s of Band apps right now, but Microsoft apparently decided to play catchup again.

Why shouldn't it be possible to control PowerPoint from the Band like you can now do with the Apple Watch? Why shouldn't you be able to manage OneDrive with your Band like you can do with the Apple Watch? Just because the Band is a fitness device?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
How so? Just because Microsoft markets the Band as a fitness device? Both, the Apple Watch as well as the Band, are typical wearables. Otherwise MS wouldn't have implemented notifications, calls, sms, Cortana, etc. into the band. And otherwise MS wouldn't have provided a SDK for the band.
Dave, I may have misunderstood your original post. If you're proposing that the Band could function as a "remote control" for the phone (or even a PC) then the gap between the two devices is pretty small. I'm not sure what you mean by "manage OneDrive" with the Band, though.

​For sure, I don't know the specs in detail on the Apple Watch, but my impression from afar is (a) it has a significantly more detailed display, which in itself affords a bit more interactivity and functionality, and (b) I'd presume that the internals offer more functionality than the Band as well. From that perspective, it's probably a flawed analogy but I'd suggest: the Band is like a chef's knife and the Apple Watch is like a multi-function food processor. They're both (presumably) great tools in the right hand, but one is certainly more versatile than the other.

-Matt

PS There's no disagreement about apps...marketing...the cult-ure of the two respective communities. In that case Microsoft could always do better.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not getting one, nor is anyone in my household, I would rather wipe my behind with a cactus than buy anything with an apple logo on it.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that MS has again released a nice hardware product but fails on the software side.

The Apple Watch gets released about six months after the Band but still beats it by app support by a mile. There should be 1000s of Band apps right now, but Microsoft apparently decided to play catchup again.

Why shouldn't it be possible to control PowerPoint from the Band like you can now do with the Apple Watch? Why shouldn't you be able to manage OneDrive with your Band like you can do with the Apple Watch? Just because the Band is a fitness device?

Go back to a Story on Windows Central that basically broke down what Microsoft did with the Band and Why.

For MS it was a proof of concept that it did not expect to catch fire like it did, which was why the limited production runs. They also had no ads about it at the start, no TV spots.

They wanted to only license the tech to Fitbit and others.

They also wanted to round up Health Bands by Fit and so on to come under Microsoft Health App.

So it's not really a case of playing catch up, more a case of being caught unaware of what happened.

They did not expect Tech/Fitness junkies to go ga ga in reviews and push awareness of the device past other fitness band makers to the wearable marketplace.

They know now, and they could have followed with a Watch that could have taken a little Thunder from Apple ( I'll admit not much), but enough to make a wave or two.

So it only looks like they playing catch up, but they didn't even have people in place at the time to handle Marketing it for the consumer, which was why the huge delay to get it over to the British market to sell.....again in low numbers as they didn't plan this as a main stream consumer device.

So without knowing it they hit a walk off grand slam home run, and sadly are facing third base blocking home plate not even aware they should run around the bases!!

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've ordered one. I've never had the Microsoft Band (yet) but I just sold my Samsung Gear S which was amazing and I feel naked and a little lost without it awaiting my Apple Watch in June. The point I'm making though is although the Samsung Gear S (and possibly other Smart Wearables) is better in loads of ways to the Apple Watch, app and software support is limited and the full potential of the device can never be achieved. In my opinion I'm downgrading to the Apple Watch but I'll get a much better experience in the long term as there is overwhelming support from developers etc so I'll get more from the device. Much the same goes for Windows Phone tbh, amazing hardware and potential but we get let down by poor apps or no availability of some essential ones

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish I was on the list to get one...dam...

Because there is a shortage of them (just like MS did with the Band), I know I could get double or triple what I paid for it on ebay if I got it on day one...

But, for use, no, Not sure why anyone would want this one at this point. Early reviews are out, Standby time is about 18 hours, IF YOU USE IT, you might get 2-4 hours out of it.

If you wear a watch that you have to charge 3-4 times a day, it's worthless and too much of a hassle. What good is a smarwatch if it cant be smart because the battery is DEAD again...

Maybe when the iWatch 2 comes out battery will be better but, mark my words your going to see a FLOOD of complaints about the battery life on it...

I'll stick with my Pebble...

zeref0016

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Idk but getting an apple watch doesnt mean someone is an apple ******, ffs we just want to try it. I know the band is waaaay better in terms of sensors and battery etc but i must face the reality that it's not going in my country anytime sooner :(( and I cant buy online cause im still a minor and i dont have cards.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Acutally I think I have used that toilet paper in a few airports. ha ha....BTW hello from a fellow Jeepr!

OIIIIIO (it's a jeep thing, no one else will understand 😉) I'm still rocking my 95 ZJ V8 4X4 with 219,000 miles on it. I've owned an MJ & XJ both with the bullet proof 4.0.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
awesome. I have a 2011 JK unlimited with teraflex lift, and a crap load of overlanding gear installed. My wife and son go with me in the woods ALOT. We love it. To anyone......buy a jeep and get outdoors.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
awesome. I have a 2011 JK unlimited with teraflex lift, and a crap load of overlanding gear installed. My wife and son go with me in the woods ALOT. We love it. To anyone......buy a jeep and get outdoors.

I've been in some sticky situations with my jeep and it had never failed me. That thing just keeps on going, it loves the off road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12