[NEWS] New firmware April 23

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You might want to check and see which way the sync goes - it appears to sync Strava to MS Health. I'm not sure as it goes the other way around. The Band had the cycling tile added previously. So I think the main thing this gives is to import data from bicycle-mounted devices into MS Health.

I'm not sure what that brings to the table, but I would expect to see MS wanting to add more devices. Their game plan is the back-end, not hardware sales. I'd think the way to win that game is to suck up any and all data that can be had. (Hey, MS, what about weight scales???)

So while this may benefit some users, I think it falls short of benefiting most users. Hence the "Pffffft."

"Microsoft Band customers will be able to wear their device during rides and compare performance or share routes with other riders using these apps."
That is obviously syncing data from the band to Strava. Strava to Health doesn't need a band to exist in the picture and makes no sense.

It brings the ability for me to replace my old Garmin with something I'm already wearing. That is exactly the benefit to this user I've been looking for. I was considering the Fitbit with GPS, but its more expensive and does have as many features (though it does have better battery life).

I'm already syncing my Fitbit Aria scale to MS Health Vault - been doing that for a while. Hopefully Health and Fitness can pick up Health Vault data. I'm really confused with the weird separation of MSN Health and Fitness, Health for the Band and Health Vault. MS needs to get all that crap in order - its a confusing mess how you're supposed to use all of this right now.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm already syncing my Fitbit Aria scale to MS Health Vault - been doing that for a while. Hopefully Health and Fitness can pick up Health Vault data.
I think the MS Health and HealthVault is strickly one way: From Health to HealthVault. MS Health seems to be more about your activity and HealthVault seems to be more about doctor-type medical records. So the Health data gets summarized and fed to HealthVault. But I'd sure like to see some of the Stuff in HealthVault come back down to MS Health - after all HealthVault has a lot more devices that sync - like weight scales. But MS Health has no way to even input/track that. At this point it seems to be strictly a data aggregator for the Band.

I'm not sure where MSN Health and Fitness fits in. I've not played with it. In my mind it really should merge with MS Health.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
"Sleep Recovery: Good sleep is the foundation of health, and something everybody does and needs. Microsoft Band tracks the length and quality of sleep. Use the Microsoft Health web dashboard to analyze sleep restoration, sleep efficiency, and wake-ups, to find out how well the body restores its resources during sleep."

Can't wait to see this in action in the web app come Monday, as at the moment the sleep data is all about comparison now this will at least bring some deeper insight.
The comparative insights for benchmarking against other users may also help with that extra bit of motivation, hopefully this will be enhanced more challenges and achievements for people trying to improve their fitness.

DrFix82

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
What is the difference with what is already in dashboard? All that sleep data is already there...

Does export to strava include gps data too? Because runkeeper export does not.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Graphic shows the direction of sync with various services. The Fitbit Aria scale also syncs to Myfitness Pal, so that data may be able to come to health through that account.
b8119072-222b-4858-bd0e-9c20e14db242.jpg?n=Desktop_MSHealth.jpg

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
What is the difference with what is already in dashboard? All that sleep data is already there...

Does export to strava include gps data too? Because runkeeper export does not.
Yes strata has the full GPS and HR info, as does map my ride.

Note that this was NOT an a firmware update, it was just addition of Strata to connected apps and adding Bike rides to the data shared with them (was running only last week).

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I noticed the observations tab under sleep and run only today... was it already there or I noticed it only today?
HEY, what gives?!?!?!? I've got "Observations" for Calories and Sleep...but not Run. :crying: Is this some kind of penalty for the Android phone owners -- and how would the Dashboard know that?

-Matt

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yep, same here. Strava and MapMyRide no longer syncing bike rides. Worked for 2 days only, I suppose teething issues to be expected but no comma on the issues from MS, and they are aware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss