[NEWS] New firmware April 23

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
(4/23) UPDATE -- Here is a link to the original blog post, lurking in the bowels of Microsoft's blog pages (BTW, the author is Matt Barlow from MS's marketing -- just a coincidence we have the same first name!).

Looks like this very same site is reporting several new features (and perhaps a firmware update?), due tomorrow:

Microsoft Band receives more tracking features in latest update | Windows Central

Microsoft has announced plans to add more tracking features on the Microsoft Band wearable fitness device, starting with an update on Thursday, April 23. The company also announced new updates for the Microsoft Health website that will go live on April 27.

Apparently some interesting things are headed our way, including several new tricks in Microsoft Health!

"Comparative Insights: Measures data such as daily steps, sleep, workout frequency and calorie burn and compares it to similar Microsoft Health customers based on body type (height and weight). Customers looking for motivation can use comparative insights as a benchmark to understand their health relative to similar people."

"Sleep Recovery: Good sleep is the foundation of health, and something everybody does and needs. Microsoft Band tracks the length and quality of sleep. Use the Microsoft Health web dashboard to analyze sleep restoration, sleep efficiency, and wake-ups, to find out how well the body restores its resources during sleep."

"Fitness Benefit: Track fitness progress using historical data to measure improvement over time."

"VO2 Max: VO2 max refers to the maximum volume of oxygen used during exercise, and is the primary indicator of cardiovascular fitness. Traditionally, measuring VO2 Max is cumbersome. Not anymore. Microsoft Band estimates VO2 max based on heart rate information. Now customers can track how their VO2 max increases as they improve fitness level and achieve their wellness goals, simply.".

"Run/Exercise Observations: Get more out of run and workout data with in-depth observations and insights. With a week of data, customers can determine which day of the week and at what time of day they perform best. Using historical data from as far back as five weeks, customers can track whether they're maintaining, progressing, or need to re-dedicate themselves. Analyze detailed stats to find specific aspects of runs and workouts that can be improved."
-Matt

Last edited:

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
There was no mention of new Band Firmware in that post or nay other comma I have seen. It is the health app that will have added connected apps (strava map my ride etc). Did not think the band firmware would change.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
There was no mention of new Band Firmware in that post or nay other comma I have seen. It is the health app that will have added connected apps (strava map my ride etc). Did not think the band firmware would change.
You know, you may be right!

Microsoft has announced plans to add more tracking features on the Microsoft Band wearable fitness device, starting with an update on Thursday, April 23. The company also announced new updates for the Microsoft Health website that will go live on April 27.

I read "add more tracking features on the Band" and "starting with an update" as firmware but that was an assumption. :eek:rly: If nothing shows up I'll ask a mod to update the title!

-Matt

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe these are app side and server side updates and may not really update anything in the Band. Nothing here in the UK and 23rd is nearly over (at least working hours are!)

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe these are app side and server side updates and may not really update anything in the Band. Nothing here in the UK and 23rd is nearly over (at least working hours are!)
In hindsight that makes sense, especially given the minor recent update. I've been checking my Android app for updates every 15 minutes, but nothing so far! LOL

AH, that reminds me: rockstarzzz, should I PM you with a revised thread title?

​-Matt

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The article posted yesterday made it sound as though there would be a health app and/or firmware update today and a web site update on Monday:

"Microsoft has announced plans to add more tracking features on the Microsoft Band wearable fitness device, starting with an update on Thursday, April 23. The company also announced new updates for the Microsoft Health website that will go live on April 27."

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks David -- I can't tell if I jumped the gun or not. The PCWorld article (linked in the second post) also led me in the same direction:

Wednesday morning, Microsoft pushed new updates to its Microsoft Band and related Microsoft Health apps that compare users to an anonymous cross-section of users with the same body type, based on height and weight.

Maybe it's hair-splitting, but the phrase could also be read as "Microsoft pushed new updates to its Microsoft Band Health app and also related apps..." I guess we'll know soon enough.

Either way, with all the excitement I somehow missed another interesting item:

Now, Microsoft said, users don?t even need a Band?they can use the step and calorie data collected by an Android 4.4+ phone or the iPhone 5s or later.

OK so that's pretty cool: now my Band-less wife can install the Health app on her Moto X and use it to collect step and calorie data. But that raises an interesting question: right now, she's using the Google Fit app on the same phone, and even THAT DOESN'T estimate calories (just steps and minutes of various activities like walking and running). So perhaps that's a misstatement above...in other words, I see no evidence that Android phones "natively" collect/estimate calorie data. I guess the way out of this is to just assume that if you install the Health app on your phone (hey, ALL three major platforms!), the app will use the accelerometer to estimate steps and calories. Very nice.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been kicking myself all day trying to figure out why I read the news as a "firmware update" when I was sure I'd seen it...somewhere...turns out...NOW I remember where I saw it:

BandUpdate.jpg

Guess it was a case of subliminal suggestion! LOL I wonder where that update...in whatever form...is hiding?

-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, "calorie data" could refer to intake ..... I don't know how else you're going it get it without knowing HR or the "work" being done (think exercise machine).

Which reminds me .... The gym I work out at has Precore equipment, and they're tied into Preva.com. It would be nice to link up that cardo "run" to MS Health. Not only can the equipment sense HR electrically, they work with Polar chest straps. And they know the real "work" being done and not estimating it from HR. That's not data I'd dismiss casually.

Well, it's past noon MS time, where is it? [tapping foot impatiently]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss