Band now auto detects sleep!!!

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for listening MS!!!

Look what I found in the updated MS Health Dashboard under the sleep tab...

"Detected sleep
Microsoft Band will auto-detect sleep events over two hours long, even when your Sleep tile is off. However, if you want to track sleep restoration, be sure to set your Sleep tile in motion when you hit the sack."

Yeah baby! Haven't yet given it a try yet...

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
The wording is misleading. The Microsoft Health portal will now look at the band data and show sleep if it thinks the data corresponds to those parameters. So no change to the band or the phone app but changes to the analysis of the data received form the band. Still good though, I am totally fascinated by the sleep analysis so have not yet forgotten to enable it every night.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The wording is misleading. The Microsoft Health portal will now look at the band data and show sleep if it thinks the data corresponds to those parameters. So no change to the band or the phone app but changes to the analysis of the data received form the band. Still good though, I am totally fascinated by the sleep analysis so have not yet forgotten to enable it every night.

Ah ok - is that what you've read or have deduced? Yep the data is amazing!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Soo what happens if your stuck sitting down on a commute for over two hours on a train, which is more packed out than a granola bar? :winktongue:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So, if sleep is auto-detected you'll miss some features.

I had the same thought. But its still pretty good to know that if you crash before you turn on the sleep monitor, some of the night will be captured.

It is a especially good feature for those that doze off at work. :)

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So no change to the band or the phone app but changes to the analysis of the data received form the band.
I used my free Fitbit that came with my Lumia 830 for about a week. I guess this is similar to how the Fitbit app only shows restful vs. light sleep (or however they label it) while the dashboard on the Fitbit website analyzes the data differently and shows asleep vs. awake.

Soo what happens if your stuck sitting down on a commute for over two hours on a train, which is more packed out than a granola bar?
I'm not sure how exactly it measures sleep, but I think if you were not actually asleep, it would know the difference. I was having issues falling to sleep a few nights ago due to the anxiety of my first half marathon the next morning. I was trying to lie still in bed, but the sleep tracking showed that it took an hour and 13 minutes to fall asleep, which I'm pretty sure is accurate. With readings like that, I don't think sitting still while awake will be enough to for the dashboard to analyse this time period as sleep.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Soo what happens if your stuck sitting down on a commute for over two hours on a train, which is more packed out than a granola bar? :winktongue:

Since the Band also uses Heart rate to determine whether you're resting, i'm assuming it will be smart enough to know that you aren't sleeping :winktongue:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The Band can't differentiate between your motion and the motion of the car you're in. So unless it's glassy smooth for 2 hours ....

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The Band can't differentiate between your motion and the motion of the car you're in. So unless it's glassy smooth for 2 hours ....

Was this meant for me :D In any case.. Still sticking with the heart rate theory.. I think you're heart rate will be different depending on the situations you are in, unless you're a very mellow guy lol

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it uses heart rate for more accurate sleep detection, which is huge to me. Normally at rest (sitting on the couch motionless) my heart rate is around 70-80, but during sleep it's in the 50s. That's a big enough gap to differentiate sleep from being motionless.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Was this meant for me :D In any case.. Still sticking with the heart rate theory.. I think you're heart rate will be different depending on the situations you are in, unless you're a very mellow guy lol
I'm pretty sure that "sleep" is measured by motion. Pull up your sleep pattern and then toggle to your HR pattern and you'll see what I mean. No obvious correlation.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that "sleep" is measured by motion. Pull up your sleep pattern and then toggle to your HR pattern and you'll see what I mean. No obvious correlation.

I am pretty sure you, and most people here, are guessing at how it identifies sleep instead of looking it up since they are rather clear on the subject on the Microsoft Band site: Sleep tracking with the Microsoft Band | Track your sleep | The Sleep Tile. As for no correlation, looking at your own data and assuming they correlate with everyone else is logically flawed. I do not assume my sleep pattern is representative, particularly given I deal with chronic insomnia, but the correlation between heart rate and sleep is evident in the data. Equally evident though is the fact that something else is in the analytical mix. Since they say it is both heart rate and motion, the other factor is obvious....

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Unless your heart rate is also dropping on the train which is probably unlikely under the circumstances, it will not identify sleep. Motion and heart rate are factors in the calculation....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro