GPS lock timed out

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I went running last night. When I activated the running with GPS, I walked for a couple minutes to the end of my street and finally got a notification that the GPS couldn't be locked. I finally started the run where the Band was supposed to continue searching for GPS, but it never got a lock during my entire 35 minute workout.

Are there any tricks to assist the Band in getting a GPS lock? I'm hoping this is just a glitch, but I'm worried that this unit might have a bad GPS chip. I've already had two warranty replacements for different issues. The first two units always got a GPS lock within a minute. The first run I went on with my current unit took until 12 minutes into my run to get a lock. It has been better since then until last night.

Last night's run was the first time I've been able to use the Band in about a week because I lost my charging cable while on vacation and just received my replacement cable yesterday. I don't know if the battery being dead so long would have affected any of this or if I should try a reset on the Band to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
My recollection of the last time this question came up was: try to wait (if possible) to lock before starting the run...in other words, don't take the "start now and lock later" option. I agree mine will sometimes lock in 10 seconds, and other times it takes a few minutes. If it doesn't lock in 3-4 minutes I'd suggest backing out of run mode and starting a new run. The only drawback is you have to start the run, cancel it, then start a new one -- no way to cancel the run while it's searching for GPS.

-Matt

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully, it's just a random issue, but I've only attempted to track 6 runs with this current unit and have had trouble with the GPS lock on 2 of those runs. Normally, I do wait for the GPS lock before I begin my run, but I didn't want to stand around waiting for an indeterminate amount of time for the GPS to lock in. I'll try power cycling the next time I run into this issue.

I took about a month off from running after completing a half marathon, so I am just getting back into a running routine. Hopefully, I will have better luck going forward. At least I should be able to tell with more experience whether this is just a random occurance or if this is a bad unit. I'm hoping to avoid going through my third warranty exchange in less than 4 months.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully it was just a "bad GPS day" (when the satellites for your part of the world are all hiding behind hills, buildings and other objects). I wouldn't make a snap judgement based on one day.

gyhor

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I am using gps everyday and the band get the gps lock in maximum 10 seconds.
Maybe if there are a lot of trees the gps signal is weak?

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My last three runs with the Band have included long waits for the GPS lock. I'm hoping a software update at some point will fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99