Can I set up the Band if I'm under 18?

N_Studios

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a Microsoft Band in a few days as a high school graduation present. However, I'm currently 17, and when I tried to set up the Microsoft Health app a while back, it wouldn't let me, since it said I had to be 18 or older to use the app. Will I be able to set up my Band with my real age, or will I have to wait until my birthday in August to be able to set it up?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
To my knowledge, you'll have to wait. This is due to the sensitive nature of health information. The only way around it (and I don't recommend this) is to lie about your age, and then I would think you'd be stuck with that erroneous birth date forever. You'd probably have to de-register the Band and set up another account in order to correct it, and then whatever data you've accumulated on the old account wouldn't be included in the new one. I know it sucks, but it is done for your protection, out of perhaps an overabundance of caution and fears of liability on the part of the company, but there it is.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You could lie about your birthdate, which doesn't really affect anything. Also, you can probably change it back some time down the road.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I stand corrected. You can go in and change your birth date. I just did it, because when I went and looked, my birth date had mysteriously changed! It had me as about 20 years younger than I am. So I changed it to what it should be. It also had my weight wrong. Hmm....I wonder if thats why my fitness level has been trending down lately. Age and weight should have an effect on calorie burn and heart rate zones, I would think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss