Should I sell my Band 1 for money toward Band 2?

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking about selling my first-generation Band for the upcoming Band 2.

I bought it from Target for $130 during their 25% off sale ($150, but I had a few gift cards lying around which brought it down).

$199.99 - 25% = $149.99
$149.99 - gift cards = $130

The device (medium size) is in nearly excellent condition. There aren't any huge scratches, dents, rips, etc. (just very minor typical wear-and-tear). The only "defect" I can think of is that my cat bit the charging cable (a small bite, and the cable works just fine anyway). I put a screen protector on as well. Also, I have the original packaging (including manuals/guides and even the "plug me in to get started" tag).

If I do put it up, I want to sell it for around $150 (that seems to be the median on EBay).

I'm posting this because I want to hear your opinions about my plan.
What do you think?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry Greg but I agree with Visa Declined. Since the retail price has dropped to $150 it's pretty easy to find one new between $100 and $125. I think $75-$85 is a more realistic price range for a slightly used like-new Band.

Assuming there's an announcement for Band 2 sometime in October I think that slightly-used price will look more like $50.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input everyone!
Thanks for the even-tempered response. Your superb netiquette is duly noted!

Let me reiterate: in a better world -- like 2-3 months after the Band launched -- $130 would be a reasonable price. The dilemma here is that MS is supposedly announcing the Band 2 in early October. So retailers dropped their price on the new Band to $150 maybe 2 months ago, and so prices are dropping fast on both new and used. If your Band looks as nice as you say it does, and you live in a reasonably-populated area, you might go the craigslist route and ask $110 or so for it. I think selling at eBay or Amazon is a bit more competitive/uncertain environment.

-Matt

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have to agree with everyone here. In my honest opinion, you won't get what you're wanting for it.
However, it may very well be worth selling it to put money towards the Band 2. The original Band was nearly a prototype, simply Microsoft testing the waters. It was them feeling out the market and collecting feedback. The Band 2 should (hopefully) be the finalized, fully realized, beautiful device that everyone wanted the original to be.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sell it on Swappa or eBay or CL or heck even the Marketplace here for a reasonable price. I always offer the lowest price here since there are no fees and everyone interested is a member of the community. Use the funds towards the purchase of a new one. The Apple fanboys do it every year so why not Windows fans?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the wear and tear on my Band, I don't think I could give it away...frankly I'd have to pay someone to take it off my hands.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Band and have worn it roughly 22 hours every day I've had it and exercise (sweat) intensively 4 times a week. But I've only had it since April and it's fair to say it's unlikely to make it to Christmas. On top of the usual issues (scratched to hell, metal underside rusting, plastic coming off the batteries, etc) I also have the added problem of the actual rubber strap tearing and nearly breaking in half.

I'm hoping for just 2 things out of the new Band model:

1. That it's made of tougher stuff

2. That it remains very competitively priced. ?150-160 would be my upper limit. Free if I take a 950/950XL on a two year contract would be even better

bigdog9586

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Bite the bullet and buy a Apple Watch. I'm about ready to tell my wife to dump her band and get the Watch. Now that 2.0 is out so much better.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
^^^ You know saying things like that can get a big Apple logo burned on your front lawn. I'd be more discrete about your love for Apple around here! :smile:

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping for just 2 things out of the new Band model:

1. That it's made of tougher stuff

2. That it remains very competitively priced. ?150-160 would be my upper limit. Free if I take a 950/950XL on a two year contract would be even better
I'm concerned about build quality too -- common sense suggests Band 2 will be tougher, but...if the first gen is lasting on average 6-9 months (I'm SURE MS knows that based on the return data)...then I'd expect the second gen to be OK for 12 (which is still disappointing).

Cost-wise the latest leaks/rumors suggest it will stay at 200 USD which means you should see it under 150-160 GBP no problem.

-Matt

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Bite the bullet and buy a Apple Watch. I'm about ready to tell my wife to dump her band and get the Watch. Now that 2.0 is out so much better.

Beyond what Nono said, no one has any idea about those materials after 6 months or a year either. Admittedly, Its a nice watch. My son has one and it is pretty nice. So if that is what you want, get it. This isn't a Microsoft watch. It's a device designed for tracking physical activity.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Band 2 is announced. Frankly, as long as you're good with the shape of the 1, and the HR is good enough for you, you might want to just hold out for Band 3.

Frankly I'm not convinced the Band 2 is a upgrade for users of the 1 as much as it's to get more people on-board by fixing the clunky shape of the original.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, the Band 2 is announced. Frankly, as long as you're good with the shape of the 1, and the HR is good enough for you, you might want to just hold out for Band 3.

Frankly I'm not convinced the Band 2 is a upgrade for users of the 1 as much as it's to get more people on-board by fixing the clunky shape of the original.

Think you might be right in what you say above.

Infinidim

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

And then when and if a Band 3 comes out, you'll say, eh just wait for Band 4. You can't keep saying wait for the next version, it will be a never-ending cycle. You're going to have to bite the tech bullet sooner or later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720