Underwhelmed by *new* microsoft Band Announcement

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Was anyone else hoping for something more from the Band2 announcement today? Something about Windows IoT version...App upgrades...sensor improvements? Why the price hike? Its basically all aesthetic (drastically needed...). The gorilla glass warrants a small price increase, but not 50 dollars. The footprint is slightly larger already (the screen is "taller").

I suppose i just don't see a reason to upgrade. It will take a new charger (i have 2 of the first gen). The HR sensor is now on the "top" so it compels people to wear it facing downwards (not a fan).

One feature that wasn't really mentioned is the Watch mode now turning on when you turn your wrist (i'm guessing if you have it face down - less light - to face up).

Overall I was just underwhelmed. Im sure i'm not alone. I hope this causes more people to go out and buy one so the platform can stay alive and grow. But the price hike i suspect will kill more than the "v2" will bring.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I missed was whether or not it is waterproof :) The price is a slight let down, but not enough to push me away. I have my xmas present in sight :D

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
The price hike is a bummer but still competitive for either a fitness watch. I'm happy for gorilla Glass and for the reconfigured power and HRM ports. Looks like the corroded contacts (I hope!) and finicky spring-loaded power hack are gone.

I'd say the aesthetics are a win for me. I do wish they had made it more waterproof.

Pre-ordering is now open, btw.

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Anything that comes without $1000 cash back and a bj from a supermodel is guaranteed to get a lot of whining on forums like this one.

Ha! Thats totally fair. I guess i'm not sure what features besides waterproofing i would have liked. The revamped charging port is a real bummer unless MSFT offers exchanges...which they won't.

A little more battery life would have been nice. Something about an OS update....since there haven't been any SDK changes or anything recently...would have been good.

iSingBass

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If I wasn't so satisfied with the one I have I might be tempted to upgrade. Being more flexible and hopefully more durable are good--waterproof would've been bonkers. Some fancy sharing/social features a la Nike+ would be nice to see too.

With exception of the new altimeter, of course, I wonder whether the current Band will score a nice update. The essence of the new device and the Health app as presented look very similar.

Last edited:

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
New Health App went live on iOS today. New icon and color...Looks very xbox-y. Active Sleep monitoring!!! Create a workout!!!

Theres a "replace my Band" function...when i clicked it, it prompted me saying "this will unregister your band". Is this for store use..or when you buy a new band?

Doesn't seem to include a firmware update...or at least the firmware didn't push to my band yet.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm certainly underwhelmed by the presentations I've seen so far. Other than the nicer shape and the barometer, I don't see what it can do that my Band 1 can't. I want to seem more comparison about what they've added/improved in the products.

One things they've made worse: the clasp. Fuuuuuuugly! Why would anyone want to wear that "clasp out"? They should have stuck with the black chrome.

Baring any updates, I may just keep my Band 1 until it falls completely apart.

And I'm still disappointed that MS isn't adding more devices to MS Health - things like weight scales. And the HealthVault integration is almost a "PS" in the ad.

Tom825

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I was waiting since july for the band 2 and was hoping for some major improvements. It seems more like refinements than revolutionary changes. I just bought the band 1 for $130 at about 1/2 the cost of band 2, which I consider a steal! Not enough improvements to justify paying double. Besides, I'm going to get band #3 or 4 in a couple years anyways so why pay full price now. I can always get last years best on clearance.

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
What were you looking for? Better build, aesthetics, new sensor and capability (VO2 max). By no means am I a MSFT ****** but I've pre-ordered.

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence as to whether I will upgrade. Part of the reason is that as an iPhone owner, the new Band doesn't offer much more functionality than my current one does, at least on iOS. If I owned a Windows Phone (love the new phones, btw), I definitely would jump on Band 2, but I may wait a bit and see if more software updates that are exclusive to Band 2 (a "walk" tile or Cortana for iOS, for example) before upgrading.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm underwhelmed.

1) Comfort. Personally I've never understood why everyone thinks the Band 1 is uncomfortable. Maybe I just have square shaped wrists (and i do wear it facing inward) but it's fine for me. If anything the Band 2 looks MORE bulky. It's wider, the clasp looks a LOT fatter, and the watch looks thicker. Only the sides are less bulky.

2) Glass. The Gorilla Glass is awesome. That crappy screen protector I got with my Band 1 lasted about 2 days, and since i wear it facing inwards, it looks like someone's taken course sandpaper to the face. Even so, it still feels perfectly smooth, and looks fine when it's on.

3) Screen Size. Curved is nice. But they made the screen taller instead of longer... and it has just as much bezel around it if not more. It looks squarish now. I don't like it. I was really hoping for curved + longer + wider + almost no bezel. That would have looked gorgeous. Square screens are ugly.

4) Sensors. What is the O2 consumption thing?... not sure I need that. Altimeter I like, I miss that from my old Fitbit Force. I think the Band 1 sensors are fine though.

5) Aesthetics. Am I the only one who thinks that from more than 5 feet away it looks exactly the same? Maybe a bit worse with the chrome clasp. Guess Microsoft really likes black.

6) Battery. Mine already lasts 2 days. Next.

7) Waterproof? Still nope.

Yeah, i'm underwhelmed. Yeah i've already pre-ordered it... considering how fast they sold out last time. But if no great hidden feature(s) becomes evident, i'll probably cancel.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What were you looking for?
More wow. Maybe an extra line on the display by reducing the border. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I would have thought they pack a new feature or two that I didn't know that I needed. That's usually how these things work.

new sensor and capability (VO2 max).
See this thread. Band 1 will give VO2 max. Is Band 2 able to display it directly or is this yet another feature it inherited from it's predecessor?

All in all, this seems more like Band 1.5.

One of the things I'd like to know is how the processor and memory are different. That will give some indication as to what the future may hold in terms of 2 getting features that won't appear on 1.

But perhaps my biggest disappointment is MS Health not getting more devices to feed it. When Band came out, we were told this was just a feeder for MS's real strategy in health. I would have expected to see more offerings that connected to it. At minimum, a weight scale. HealthVault has had them for some time. But nothing to feed Health.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What were you looking for? Better build, aesthetics, new sensor and capability (VO2 max). By no means am I a MSFT ****** but I've pre-ordered.

Better build - yes but band1 is good enough
aesthetics- yeah but not worth $250 vs $130 difference
new sensor- don't need elevation. I do lots of flat running, not stairs. nice feature but not for me. One more sensor to eat battery
VO2 max - this is software driven and will be done on the app so I get that on band1 also
AMOLED screen vs TFT - nice for watch feature and battery life. It's actually the only thing I may consider upgrading for.

What I was hoping for- thinner bezel, maybe bigger screen. Maybe a circle watch face like other watches (I know it's a fitness tracker, but it could even be square like the fitbit surge. I know everyone has their own take on this one).

BETTER BATTERY LIFE. That would be the biggest feature for me. 2 days is pretty good. 3 days+ would make me upgrade

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Better build - yes but band 1 is good enough.

Well, your experience must be significantly better than mine. A curved screen and better build were my top two wishes for the new device. Looks like both came true with Band 2.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I stopped by the MS store last night. No demos, but they said they'd have them in a day or two.

They did have a chart comparing 1 and 2.

Band 1 sensors: 10
Band 2 sensors: 11

The other change was the display. Switch from TFT to AMOLED. While the width (in portrait mode) shrunk just a bit, the number of pixels is the same. But it did grow 1.2mm higher and add about 22 pixels in that direction. No information about internal RAM or CPU. But that display could limit what new things could come to Band 1.

Update: TwoClipz reported that Band 1 is 320x106 and Band 2 is 320x128. That's a 20% increase.

However, the fact the sales guys had that chart makes me think that MS expects to sell Band 1 alongside Band 2 for awhile. At $129 vs. $249, Band 1 still has a lot to offer against Band 2 for only 52% of the price.

I'm still trying to find out about the integration with Lose It. That appears to solve something a number of people have asked for - how to count calories in as well as weight measurements. But the question is which way is the data flowing? I had expected to make MS Health & HealthVault the center of my fitness. Is the Band just a feeder for Lose It, (which seems more comprehensive on the weight/diet side), or will that information flow back into the MS side? And will this be available for Band 1 users?

For the moment I think I'll upgrade when my Band 1 dies outside of warranty. If I have to pay "full boat" for 2, I'm not seeing any reason to rush to 2. That could change depending on new features and incentives.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
At the risk of cross-posting threads, B2 seems to add the following:

• Bigger display (320x106 vs. 320x128 pixels/ 33mm x 11mm vs. 32mm x 12.8mm)
  • UV monitoring (not just spot checks)
  • Stair tracking
  • Optimal Wake-up

A couple of those features suggests the B2 has more processing power.

Update: found the old and new specs for screen size. It lost 1mm in width but gained 1.8mm or 16% in height.

Last edited:

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Band v2 is more attractive to those who don't already Band v1, which is a significantly large % of the population. It may be a feel like a small revision, but it's important to correct these small issues that may prevent buyers from jumping on the "band" wagon. It's good to see that Microsoft didn't just abandon the idea entirely.

That being said, Band v1 is good enough for myself and a lot of others. Haptic notifications for calls/texts/meetings are features I take advantage of the most. Step tracking and sleep tracking are neat, but not incredibly valuable. I don't have issues with the fit and feel of it either. Band v2 looks more polished, but it's not enough of a functional upgrade from Band v1 to justify a purchase.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
B1 has sleep tracking functions, B2 is able to wake you up at a optimal time. While that can make you feel better, I'm not sure as it has that much affect on your long-term health. I set my radio to go off just before the news. Sometimes I'm aware before it goes off and sometimes I wake up toward the end of the news. So I think by using a gentle alarm, I've got much the same benefit. (Not like my old alarm clocks with a loud annoying sound that caused me to go from sound sleep to turn off the clock on one motion - that felt like 0 to 60 on a cold engine.)

As for the display: Text messages show up as 4 lines on the B2 and only 3 lines with a hint of the 4th on the B1. 1/3rd more text. Now that's a nice functionality upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb