Day time while running/exercising on Band 2

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

There was no way to see Day Time, for example 1:15pm, while running or exercising on Band 1.
Will I be able to see Day Time on Band 2 while running or exercising? This seems like a very basic function of every watch.

Thanks,
S.

lpc30000

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the watch mode on, and I just need to press the power button during workout to display daytime on the band. Not sure if this works when the watch mode is turned off.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
lpc30000,too
Thank you for replying.
1. The Watch Mode eats battery and it is too dim for outdoors. No way to see anything on a sunny day while running.
2. When the Watch Mode is off, the only way to see the day time is by pausing the run - too complex, too many actions needed for such a basic function.

S.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the Band 2 will be MUCH better for this kind of thing. They are moving to an OLED display meaning they could do something like Glance on the phone where we can have an always on display using next to no power. So watch mode may be a feasible thing finally. I didn't use it on the Band 1 for sake of battery life.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Tyresian,

Thank you.

(I will check it in the store, but) it looks like I will be a buyer! :amaze:

S.

I think the Band 2 will be MUCH better for this kind of thing. They are moving to an OLED display meaning they could do something like Glance on the phone where we can have an always on display using next to no power. So watch mode may be a feasible thing finally. I didn't use it on the Band 1 for sake of battery life.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
While I don't know the full answer to your question, smatofu, as I mentioned on another thread, Band 2 has a feature where, when your flip your wrist, the time lights up and shows for a few moments. That obviates the need to leave it in watch mode all the time. Now I don't know if it works that way while running or doing other exercise, I didn't think to ask last night, but I hope it does.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
1. The Watch Mode eats battery and it is too dim for outdoors. No way to see anything on a sunny day while running.
I leave my Band in watch mode all the time. I trained for a half marathon earlier this year running with GPS on for up to 5 times a week. Maybe I was overly cautious about charging it for that reason, but I never even thought about watch mode draining the battery faster.

Everyone's eyes are different, but I'd disagree with the statement that there is "no way to see anything on a sunny day." It isn't as easy to see at a glance as a fully lit screen would be, but I can still make out the time within a few steps during a run without really altering my stride. An improvement in this area would be welcome, but I'm not really sure how often I'm concerned with the time of day in the middle of a workout anyway.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
1. My Band 1 goes w/o charging:
No GPS, no Watch Mode - 3 days,
No GPS, Watch Mode - 2 days,
GPS (2h), no Watch Mode - 2 days,
GPS (2h), Watch Mode - 1 day.

2. I don't think our eyes are different, but the bands could be. You may have a different MS Band. My band is set on 10% backlight in the Watch Mode - the Auto Brightness doesn't work on my band in the Watch Mode. 10% backlight is not enough for outdoors. If 10% was enough, why would we ever need 100%?!

3. [I'm concerned with the time of day in the middle of a workout anyway] Some people are never concern about the time of day, but that doesn't mean that other people are not. I often choose different running routes based on the amount of time I have left before my lunch ends. Anyway, time of day is the very basic function of every watch - it must be always available.

S.
Maybe I was overly cautious about charging it for that reason, but I never even thought about watch mode draining the battery faster.
Everyone's eyes are different, but I'd disagree with the statement that there is "no way to see anything on a sunny day."
An improvement in this area would be welcome, but I'm not really sure how often I'm concerned with the time of day in the middle of a workout anyway.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
2. I don't think our eyes are different, but the bands could be. You may have a different MS Band. My band is set on 10% backlight in the Watch Mode - the Auto Brightness doesn't work on my band in the Watch Mode. 10% backlight is not enough for outdoors. If 10% was enough, why would we ever need 100%?!
This may indeed be the difference. I've never messed with the brightness setting on my Band. I just checked and mine is set to high. I don't feel the need to squeeze more battery life out of my Band as I plug it in every day during my shower and almost always leave the house with at least an 80% charge, but now that you brought it up, I will try out different settings and see how they affect the visibility of Watch Mode and the battery life in every day use.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Great News!

Based on the photo, the time of day can be added to the running screen. Battery level and GPS status were also added - nice!

Thank you Microsoft!

S.
Screen00420.png

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure that is the time. I'm thinking the 18:34 is the duration of the run. The 10'23" is the instantaneous pace of the run (apparently they weren't able to keep the pace up :)

Yes, you are right!
So, at this point, we don't know if time of day was added to running/exercise display fields.
Battery Level and GPS Status show that MS was working on improvements.
Also, the right arrow would indicate that the awkward up-down swipe was replaced with a right-left swipe.

Thanks,
S.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure that is the time. I'm thinking the 18:34 is the duration of the run. The 10'23" is the instantaneous pace of the run (apparently they weren't able to keep the pace up :)

In MS Health with Band 1, you can choose any of the following 3 items: Duration, Heart rate, Calories, Distance, and Pace.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

BUT, the duration of the run should have a small stopwatch icon to the left - there is no stopwatch icon on the photo. 18:34 may actually be the time of day.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Also, the right arrow would indicate that the awkward up-down swipe was replaced with a right-left swipe.
I've been using this thing to track my runs for 7 months and never realized you could swipe down for more info. I thought we were limited to the 3 stats on the main screen.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I was aware of that. I picked the three that I felt were most relavent to see quickly during my run, I didn't know the rest of the stats were still available with a swipe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss