Wake Up Fine Tuning

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see or hear this; or just missed it but if you open the Microsoft Health (Window Phone) app and click the hamburger menu, tab What's New; swipe three times to the left and you'll see that the Band 2 can now wake you when you would feel your best.
Wake Up refreshed without sleeping in
You pick your wakeup time -- we'll fine tune it to help you feel your best

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I didn't see or hear this; or just missed it but if you open the Microsoft Health (Window Phone) app and click the hamburger menu, tab What's New; swipe three times to the left and you'll see that the Band 2 can now wake you when you would feel your best.

I took the description of this feature to mean that you could set your wakeup time, and the Band would alert you when you need to go to bed for a refreshing night of sleep based on an analysis of your previous sleep activity.

I'm thinking along the lines of Cortana alerting when you need to leave for work. It does this by using GPS and the saved address locations for home and work. It learns your routine, then alerts you when it's time to leave for work in the morning based on your normal arrival time at your work location.

In the same way, the Microsoft Health platform could analyze your sleep patterns to estimate when you need to go to bed in order to wake up feeling refreshed.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I forget which product did this but I took as the band would monitor you sleep and wake you up around your desired time +/- some minute that is optimal; basically you're in a light sleep cycle..

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
From the main page:
Smart alarm

Feel your best in the morning. Set the alarm and your band will wake you up at the optimal time during your sleep cycle up to 30 minutes before the alarm goes off.

So it sounds like it will wake you up early if you're in a good spot of your sleep cycle. But it won't wake you late.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
That very well might be the case as it seems like I've read something like that before. I push my alarm in the morning to the limits of procrastication, so allowing me to sleep a few minutes longer to feel more refreshed could get me into some trouble for showing up late to work.

If the feature works the way you are proposing, I probably wouldn't get much use out of it (I still use a nightstand alarm clock rather than my Band to wake me up in the morning). If it works as I suggested by indicating an optimal bedtime based on the desired wakeup time, I could get much more use out of a feature like that.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
If the feature works the way you are proposing, I probably wouldn't get much use out of it (I still use a nightstand alarm clock rather than my Band to wake me up in the morning).
But if you use the Band, you may find yourself more refreshed in the morning and weakening the drive to hit the snooze button.

If it works as I suggested by indicating an optimal bedtime based on the desired wakeup time, I could get much more use out of a feature like that.
That sounds more like something you'd learn from the dashboard.

Probably the big unknown is how much time do you need?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Probably the big unknown is how much time do you need?
The way I imagined it working is that the backend services would be crunching the numbers to determine the answer to this question.

The explanations of sleep cycles that I've read state that a full sleep cycle takes approximately 90 minutes. They suggest setting a bedtime in increments of 90 minutes prior to the time you wish to wake up. I don't know if that is what Microsoft is basing this feature on, but it still makes more sense to me to prompt a user to adjust his/her bedtime rather than going to sleep and having the Band adjust your wakeup time. That seems like a gamble I couldn't afford to take that the Band would wake me up after I needed to be up.

I could be way off base in my interpretation, but just wanted to explain where my thought process was.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The description suggests that the Band will fine tune the wakeup time, not the go-to-sleep time. This makes sense to me. Telling you to get to bed at a certain time is unlikely, and if that was the case, it would instead describe "fine-tuning the sleep time." Also, there are other sleep monitoring wearables that also wake you at the best time in the sleep cycle.

As for worrying about waking you up too late, of course it isn't going to wake you up later than your latest possible time to wake up. I'd imagine it would ask: wake me no later than _________.

Also, you are thinking about this in the wrong way. The goal isn't to wake up at the latest time possible. Rather it is to wake up feeling as well as possible and get where you need to go on time.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I forget which product did this but I took as the band would monitor you sleep and wake you up around your desired time +/- some minute that is optimal; basically you're in a light sleep cycle..

I had a SleepTracker watch that did this, and I loved this feature!

Basically, I would set an alarm for say, 7AM. By default, the watch used a 20 minute window, so if it detected I was in a lighter stage of sleep anytime between 6:40-7:00AM it would vibrate. Otherwise, it would just vibrate right at 7AM as the alarm indicated.

Overall, I found it had worked quite well.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
The phone app (yes, phone app) "Sleep as Android" claims to do the same thing. It has the option of connecting to and reading a wearable device (not the Band, sorry), which makes sense. How it does it with phone alone (let alone assess sleep quality) is more of a mystery to me!

-Matt

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I had a SleepTracker watch that did this, and I loved this feature!

Basically, I would set an alarm for say, 7AM. By default, the watch used a 20 minute window, so if it detected I was in a lighter stage of sleep anytime between 6:40-7:00AM it would vibrate. Otherwise, it would just vibrate right at 7AM as the alarm indicated.

Overall, I found it had worked quite well.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

this seems to be the case here, but its seems the windows on the band will be 30 minutes as quoted in earlier comments.

why didn't Microsoft pitch this at the event?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The answer is in the pic. You're supposed to sleep with the phone in your bed so it can sense your movement.

Yup, btw there is a windows app that supposedly does the same.... never worked for me...

and windows phone is a fire hazard in bed.... i once woke up with the phones glowing from heat.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow, scary story bro!

And yeah I figured it was the phone that's somehow doing the "sleep sensing" (in the case I was referring to earlier) but that still boggles my mind a bit....that is, how a phone resting on my pillow can approximate what the Band suite of sensors is doing on my wrist while I'm sleeping. Seems like a pretty coarse solution at best. Moot point any way you slice it -- we're here for the more direct solution...acceleromter, gryometer, body temp, etc.!

-Matt

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
my mind a bit....that is, how a phone resting on my pillow can approximate what the Band suite of sensors is doing on my wrist while I'm sleeping.
I'm guessing that motion is motion and details doesn't matter. But I also have to wonder if the developers sleep alone ...:winktongue:

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
gadgetrants did you finally get the Band2? Have had mine since Early Dec 2015 love works flawlessly
Oh sadly...no. :( I put myself on the sidelines as I waited for the release of the Moto 360 Sport (which ended up being fairly underwhelming). Thanks, though for confirming my suspicion that the Band 2 is a solid device!

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now...still very interested in the Band, but also have my eye on the Garmin 235 (no touchscreen and over $100 more, though better overall activity-tracking features). I have that awful, nauseous feeling that I'm IN-BETWEEN product cycles, and that I may prefer to wait until the next round of devices get announced! Not sure what I'll do.

-Matt

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre