Any weightlifters find a use for smart bands/watches

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok yes we know we know these fitness devices help you run. I get it...you are a vegan who does marathons.

What about weightlifters?

I havent found much use for the MS band and weightlifting.
My anrdoid smartwatch uses an app in beta where you can program an exercise and it memorizes the movement. Like a curl or a benchpress. I have yet to incorporate it into my workout.

Does the band or the band 2 help with any lifters?
I figure if it can sense the height and the rotation, it would be able to sense a rep.
There are apps for golfers and their swings ffs.

Or perhaps help with Yogis?

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I've been able to find is the PUSH band:

Band ? TRAIN WITH PUSH // TRAIN WITH PURPOSE

Haven't tried it out though. Like the previous post indicated, heart rate is about the only thing it can track during weight lifting .... I did find that somewhat useful - I try to keep my time between sets to a minimum, and thus try to keep my heart rate up.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
In the build your own workout function in the MS Health Dashboard, I see things like "Barbell Deadlift" with the ability to sets, reps, and a number of other settings.

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
In the build your own workout function in the MS Health Dashboard, I see things like "Barbell Deadlift" with the ability to sets, reps, and a number of other settings.

ya but its a guided workout in which the band does nothing more than tell you whats next. Something a piece of paper and pencil can do.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As a Crossfitter, it would be great if my Band could figure out how I'm feeling that day and suggest my target weights for the WODs based on previous attempts :D

As of now, the band really doesn't do much for me except say that I'm not really working out hard enough cause the fitness benefit always just says "maintaining" :D

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
There seems to be a number of settings too - as if the band is grading what you're doing - as in not enough motion, too fast/too slow. Since I haven't used it, I can't say, but it seems like it will prevent you from cutting corners.

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I tested the own workout thingy with my Band 1 at home and it would show me I had to do something like 21reps for one set. And it would count. In my opinion, it would count it with the movement or something. Due to sickness, I can't test it in the gym. And I would think that the Band would apply some sort of different algorithms than when you're running or doing work with your legs. So it may not be as accurate as any medical device but I think the guided workout will work better than the "general workout" because now the band know WHAT you do.

Time will tell :)
Regards,

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I am speculating here, but when I had the chance to try on a Band 2, I was shown a new feature which obviated the need to leave it in watch mode. If you just turned your wrist, the time would show. I would think that this new ability to sense wrist/arm movement could be used to count reps, if someone wanted to create an app. Possibly too, the barometer, if sensitive enough could detect the arm wearing it going up and down. That might not work for independently held dumbbells but could work for bars and machines at the gym.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's new, just how it's being used is new. (Possibly related to processor power needed to do it along with all the other tasks.)

Probably right, but comes to the same thing. Couldn't and as far as I know still can't do it with my Band 1. If it works in the real world as well as it did at the demo, it's something that I've wished for without knowing almost since I got the band. Especially when biking and wondering about the actual time. Since I wear it under my wrist, turning that arm to see and pressing the button with the other hand at the same time always meant less control of my bike and paying attention to the road. Running too it was sometimes awkward if you wanted to see time of day while in running mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium