Band 2 Discussion and suggestons.

Jimybobby

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi All newbie here.

I have had the original band since launch and have pre ordered the Band 2 as am now a huge fan.
I watched the Microsoft event and was somewhat impressed with the new band but was left stumped as to why the band was not NFC enabled or have I missed something?

At this point with everyone and everything going NFC payment the band not having NFC seems a monumental error/oversight and something they should definitely look to fit to the next band. Being Android iOS and Windows enabled it would make the band that much more of a competitor to the other smart watches out there not least based on price.

Apple iWatch at ?300+ starting point versus a microsoft band at ?200 but able to use apple pay would be a definite winner.

Anyone think the new band may be missing any other tricks.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I did expect NFC. Microsoft is using the barcode system for payments but it isn't as universal.

I'd like to think they have a surprise up their sleeve and it has NFC support but until they introduce a payment system they are not announcing it, but who knows, it likely doesn't have anything.

Not sure it's missing tricks... support for Cortana on iOS etc. are missing and who knows, if the OS APIs change they can add that later.

Still think its good value for money for what it does. They added support for Golf and Biking.. so perhaps other key sports will get special features... Soccer mode to measure kicks etc. :)

The strap looks like it might be removable too. Maybe... so perhaps straps will come later if they take off.

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, NFC just didn't fit into this model. From what i gather, the entire plan for this round was to take what they had, and make it more appealing to the consumer: more durable, prettier, more comfortable.

If the product continues to gain steam and make MSFT a profit, and launches Health into a viable competitor, then we could see Gen 3 and 4 introduce some of these features.

In regards to iOS, make no mistake, apple and microsoft are direct competitors here. Don't expect Apple to license out Apple pay rights (especially because it takes touchID to make it work...) to the Band. They want you to have an Apple Watch on your wrist and nothing else.

As far as other sport tracking, I can definitely see that coming as the OS improves. Their current software path is to get Windows 10 IoT running on the Band. This is the "next generation" OS that they are trying to get all connected devices to run. It allows for direct communication with windows devices among other major changes.

The strap definitely isn't removable. The Band is NOT a watch...the strap of the band contains sensors and tech that is vital to the Band.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos