How many of you think that microsoft could pull a Surface 2 on us with the band 2?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have history, my Surface 2 still works perfectly, but sadly its not getting universal apps, which are getting all the fun within the next year, and it will be missing out.

Could this happen with the band 2?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, Band 2 isn't a windows device - but it's designed to work with Windows. So "universal" apps, don't apply to the Band 1 or 2. Will it apply to Band 3? Hard telling. But I'd think the very small size of the screen could push the "universal" aspect pretty hard. More likely it would get some kind of IoT OS.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Most likely the Band won't end up like the Surface RT/2 line. It seems to be fairly successful and I don't really see it going in their failed list. RT the operating system failed as the few oems that were using it stopped using it leaving the Surface RT/2 as the only devices using it. In addition there was the deep confusion about it as compared to the Surface Pro line.

Band 2 doesn't have the internal competition that the Surface RT/2 had. Now if MS releases a Surface Watch or something like that then you might have an inkling of worry, but even then they'd be targeting different markets and not having the confusion caused by Surface RT/2/Pro. The Band would target fitness first, smart watch features second while a Surface Watch would target smart watch features first, fitness second... and probably have a higher price point to boot.

If I recall correctly, the Band does run Windows 10, but it's more akin to the IoT version. It might even just be the same kernel, we'd have to wait for the update for Band 2 to see what it is running.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't put this anywhere near the same category. Windows RT was a moronic idea in the first place, seemingly a result of Microsoft's total confusion about how to approach the mobile PC market and Intel's lagging Atom performance. As soon as Cherry Trail got rolling, RT was kicked out the door. Microsoft was dumb enough to have 2 ARM operating systems, one of which looked identical to the x86 OS and had almost none of the software support or functionality. It was a conceptual disaster, and that was STILL better than how it actually went.

The Band devices fit into a totally different reality. They don't overlap with in-house products. They don't struggle for an identity. They aren't overpriced or functionally disappointing. It's hard telling how the W10 IoT stuff is coming along, and I don't know how MS will attack it in the future. Dan's last video said the OS wasn't reliable enough for the Band 2, but I'm not sure if that was an OS problem or a hardware power problem. If W10 IoT needs to mature more, MAYBE we see an update that gets it onto the Band 2 next year, to help it roll on with the rest of the platform.

Regardless, I don't even think Universal apps are meaningful here. Unless it's a social network or NFC-based shopping experience, it doesn't have much use on the Band. For example, what's a ported-over app like Xbox going to REALLY offer you? A tiny, clunky display for hardly any info? How about the Office suite? I just question how much of these apps going to wrist devices are there for function and how many are just hitting a checklist of features to get fans excited for ideas that'll fall flat.

The one thing that would be really nice is if they tied Microsoft Health & Fitness (with the Band) into the Xbox Fitness software on Xbox One. Adding that next level of biometric reading to your console workouts would be sweet.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be so quick to assume not having W10 IoT is Microsoft's failure. The band is pretty darn small, and who really knows if the hardware is even capable of running that OS sufficiently, or that they can cram suitable hardware into the same size device. The bottom of the band is already pretty thick as it is. I certainly wouldn't want them to add any more bulk than is already there. Even when you look at those compute sticks, they are at least the same or larger than the band and they don't have to make room for batteries, sensors, or screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99