Is the MS Band 2 worth the price tag? Would it be better to get the first generation?

Robert Lau

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Are the main differences between MS band 1 and MS Band 2, just the extra sensor, and the design? Is the second one worth $250, or would I be better off getting the first gen?

Beantool

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
What a perplexing question. Because the updated design really is something to behold but is it (and an added sensor) really worth an extra $150 seeing as how the O.G. can be had for around $99 at Best Buy these days...

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a Band 1, but based on the improved appearance of the new device and blind confidence that issues of material degradation with the first model have been fixed, I'd choose Band 2.

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I own the Band 1 and for me it is worth upgrading. The finicky charging connection drives me nuts sometimes and I have the metal corrosion issue, both of which appear to be solved with the 2

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Are the main differences between MS band 1 and MS Band 2, just the extra sensor, and the design? Is the second one worth $250, or would I be better off getting the first gen?

I guess, if you DONT own one now, maybe getting into a cheap, like a $99 new one, or even $40-60 on ebay for used ones might be a good idea. Use it, live with it, live with the feature set and how it works. Then hold on to it for 6 months or so, then by the time you want to get a 2, they will be lower in price...

The 2nd one, looks nicer but, Is the feature set worth another $150-200 for a new one over the older one when retail for a new one is only $250?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Band 2 has a barometer which the original Band doesn't. The Band 2 also has a better display and a more comfortable wrist band. That might be worth the $120 difference. Until people start using the the Band 2 in real life, it's hard to say if it is definitely worth the $120 difference.

The Microsoft Store and Best Buy had a $99 sale on the original Band a week ago. Great deal. Price is back to $129. Still a good deal when compared against other similarly priced devices. Given the uniqueness of the first gen Band (rigid wrist band), you might want to see how it feels in person before you buy.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The Band 2 also has a better display and a more comfortable wrist band.
Band 2 had a bigger display - a whole extra line of text. B1 can display 3 lines - but more often, just two (when a message comes in). If B2 will display 4 lines for incoming messages, that could be a significant difference for notification functions.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Band 2 has a barometer which the original Band doesn't. The Band 2 also has a better display and a more comfortable wrist band. That might be worth the $120 difference. Until people start using the the Band 2 in real life, it's hard to say if it is definitely worth the $120 difference.

The Microsoft Store and Best Buy had a $99 sale on the original Band a week ago. Great deal. Price is back to $129. Still a good deal when compared against other similarly priced devices. Given the uniqueness of the first gen Band (rigid wrist band), you might want to see how it feels in person before you buy.

I guess if you get a first gen band used...trying to get in it cheap, with them being $99 (still at a few places) brand new, getting used ones for $40-70 should not be too hard to find (ebay, etc)

Now the difference between a new Band 2 and the Band one is a lot more than $120...

Is there any better battery life on the 2 over the 1 ? That alone would be worth it, after coming from a Pebble that lasted OVER a week between charges...it's hard to go to something that lasts a day or 2...

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got a replacement Band 1 for that said same corrosion issue. I also have a Band 2 on pre-order so I guess we'll see when it finally gets here.

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had and worn my band 1 every day since Nov 2014 and after trying on a band 2 yesterday at the local MS store, the band 2 is considerably more comfortable. The band 1 is more of a handcuff, whereas the band 2 much more tolerable to wear.

If given the choice, I'd absolutely skip the band 1 and get the band 2. Starting this Friday, my band 1 will be cast aside and I will probably never use it again.

silkyrichness

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I bought the first generation and after a year I can say that it was a waste of money. The features and functions are great, but the build quality is appalling. I wore every day from buying it and it has started to fall to pieces the rubber strap has entirely worn though. I attempted to send it back stating that the wear was excessive, MS admitted that there was a problem with them and would take it back. I've had it returned to me stating that it suffered "accidental damage" and was not covered by the warenty.

If it is your intention to buy a band and not wear it, it is a fine device. If you want to wear it as a watch everyday it is not fit for purpose.

Maybe the Band 2 will last a whole year if you wear it each day, but if I'm too drop $250 or 200 UKP on something I expect it to work for more than a year.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a Band 1, and while the 2 has some features I'd like, I don't plan to upgrade for $249. Maybe when the price comes down. Or Band 3 comes out.

I also have my reservations about how the Band 2 will fit on me. The rigid curved part seems perfectly designed to not work at all on my wrist. But I'd had to try it in my size in person to know for sure, and that's unlikely to happen at Best Buy.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Is it worth it? There cannot be a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It depends.

1. What is your financial situation? Do you have $250 in disposable income every week, or do you need to save for months to come up with $250.

2. How important is sleeping well to you? Do you have sleep issues that are a contributing factor to other health problems? How much is at stake if you can improve your sleep?

3. How much is at stake if you can improve your productivity at work? Are you a business owner or executive who can have a dramatic difference with a small improvement in your personal productivity? How much of a hassle is it to deal with a wearable that doesn't charge or work the way it should?

4. How important is it to you if you can improve your exercise planning, execution and analysis? Are you a hiker, biker or runner who will benefit from elevation data in your work outs?

Nobody can answer this for you, but for me it is a no-brainer.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth it? There cannot be a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It depends.

1. What is your financial situation? Do you have $250 in disposable income every week, or do you need to save for months to come up with $250.

2. How important is sleeping well to you? Do you have sleep issues that are a contributing factor to other health problems? How much is at stake if you can improve your sleep?

3. How much is at stake if you can improve your productivity at work? Are you a business owner or executive who can have a dramatic difference with a small improvement in your personal productivity? How much of a hassle is it to deal with a wearable that doesn't charge or work the way it should?

4. How important is it to you if you can improve your exercise planning, execution and analysis? Are you a hiker, biker or runner who will benefit from elevation data in your work outs?

Nobody can answer this for you, but for me it is a no-brainer.

The problem right now is that no one can answer most of the above yet because there is very little information about the Band 2 that is public right now.

$250 is not an impulse buy for most people. You can't make an accurate comparison between the original Band and the Band 2 (which is what the OP was asking) until the embargo lifts and maybe even until a few days or weeks after that depending on what kind of reviewers have the devices.

My prediction is that the casual fitness, more techie oriented reviewers will go ga-ga over the Band 2. When the more serious fitness buffs get their hands on it, that's when people will be better able to see how the Band 2 stacks up against other fitness bands in the $250 price range.

My dartboard says at the $199 price of the original Band that the Band 2 would have been a no-brainer but the marketing whizzes at Microsoft probably had data to justify a $249 price to meet their desired sales targets. Time will tell.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
You can't make an accurate comparison between the original Band and the Band 2 (which is what the OP was asking) until the embargo lifts and maybe even until a few days or weeks after that depending on what kind of reviewers have the devices.

There's a number of things you can't tell from the demo unit. One question I have is if you get more lines of text for an incoming message. The larger display makes it possible, but until I see a non-demo unit receive a email notification, I won't know for sure. That extra line of text could make quite a bit of difference in understanding what just landed in the inbox.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My prediction is that the casual fitness, more techie oriented reviewers will go ga-ga over the Band 2. When the more serious fitness buffs get their hands on it, that's when people will be better able to see how the Band 2 stacks up against other fitness bands in the $250 price range.

If you want GPS, optical HRM, notifications, variety of connecting phones, reliability, and good battery life, then there is really little competition for MS Band/Band 2.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The problem right now is that no one can answer most of the above yet because there is very little information about the Band 2 that is public right now.

$250 is not an impulse buy for most people. You can't make an accurate comparison between the original Band and the Band 2 (which is what the OP was asking) until the embargo lifts and maybe even until a few days or weeks after that depending on what kind of reviewers have the devices.

My dartboard says at the $199 price of the original Band that the Band 2 would have been a no-brainer but the marketing whizzes at Microsoft probably had data to justify a $249 price to meet their desired sales targets. Time will tell.

Even when the unanswered questions are answered, I still won't be able to answer whether it is worth it for you or anyone else unless I know a lot of personal info about you. Likewise, you wouldn't be able to answer for me unless you knew a lot more info than I'd want to divulge on this forum.

A better way to frame the question, is how does the Band 2 compare with the Band 1, and how does Band 2 compare with other fitness trackers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss