[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten Band 2?

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I picked mine up yesterday. First impression...it is more comfortable than band 1 as others stated although 1 didn't annoy me. The appearance exudes quality; real or imagined. I never really had issue with 1's appearance however with 2 it is good to look at. I almost don't want to sweat in this, but I want to test battery life with GPS during a run after work. Lastly the display, it is much sharper and has more real estate for notifications. My only gripe is the resizing, I can rock a small at the widest or medium at the tightest. I opted for med as I intend to get larger (muscle mass.) For those coming from band 1 there is much improved, those new to the platform if you have the choice between 1&2, 2 ftw.

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
This is not Microsoft's decision with Best Buy's retail outlets. It is entirely up to the organization to provide a sample.

Not exactly true. The OEM, in this case Microsoft, supplies all product and prototypes, etc.. For major OEM's like Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, etc. things like product placement in stores are negotiated, it's not necessarily all up to the retailer. Microsoft negotiated with Best Buy more than two years ago to open up "Microsoft Stores" inside of 500 Best Buy stores in America (and some additional stores in Canada), in these stores Microsoft has the say so over their product placement.

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Biggest disappointment to me is the memory capacity, it can't hold more than twelve apps, same as Band 1. I still have to juggle apps around which is very annoying. They could have at least doubled the memory to hold 24 or more apps. And the second issue is with third party apps. Most of them don't work yet with Band 2.

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Band 2 Review

The distances on the course seem pretty good though the one course has several holes mixed up which I noticed on the Band 1which is a data set issue not the GPS. The distance I am referring to is in the Taylor Made App and on the "overview" on the MS health app. They depict each hole on a "map" and show the shots as points with distance measurements. Those are off. ON the Taylor Made app, it is supposed to register the distance of each shot. That is off. While you can manipulate the app to correct these things, I spent an hour just trying to clean it up so the data was somewhat useful

The band is supposed to track each and every shot as long as you "hit" a ball. It does not track practice swings as you don't impact anything. But many times I would hit my tee shot then me second shot and it would not register any shots for that hole and I had to then add them in manually . And, if it did not advance to the next hole (I usually don't look at the distance from the tee on anything other than a par 3 so you don't know it did not advance to the next hole though it is supposed to vibrate when it does) it will not count your shot on that hole or it records it from the previous hole.

Let me know how you do. I have not given up yet and will give it a couple of more rounds. But as I said, the tracking and analysis is the selling point as there are many easier to use GPS devices.

My first question would be if you wore the Band on your leading arm, inside wrist. If you look at my other posts on golf, or in the "Bugs / Defects" threads, you'll see the issues I describe. Short answer: Original Band needed to be worn on leading arm, inside wrist, in order to count strokes. Band2, even though it now asks what wrist and orientation it will be worn, doesn't seem to count strokes if worn differently to Band 1.
With Band 1 (worn on leading wrist), the only time I generally had to alter strokes manually on the Band, was for tap-in gimmies, or dropped shots. However, I did always advance to next hole manually.
If you are manually entering strokes, the maps of the hole WILL be off (logically).

Ben Sailors

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Microsoft Band today, took off my 1, put on the 2, and seriously, WOW.

The rigidity is virtually gone. There is a bit, but not nearly as much as there as with the one. Honestly, the emotion I felt after putting on the Band 2 was relief.

I loved my Band 1, every day I had it, until I put on the Band 2, and man, the 1 is just a brick now. The Band 2 is much more forgiving around the wrist, allowed for move movement as well.

I love the new feature to get the time when you raise your wrist to check it. That's awesome.

I love the new glass curved screen and how crystal clear the screen is. I also love how smooth it feels to touch the screen and interact with it.

Just in the couple hours I've been wearing it, I've found it to be worth every dollar of the $250 price tag. I love it. I can't wait to take it out biking.

If you loved or liked the 1, the 2 is worth the upgrade.

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

My first question would be if you wore the Band on your leading arm, inside wrist. If you look at my other posts on golf, or in the "Bugs / Defects" threads, you'll see the issues I describe. Short answer: Original Band needed to be worn on leading arm, inside wrist, in order to count strokes. Band2, even though it now asks what wrist and orientation it will be worn, doesn't seem to count strokes if worn differently to Band 1.
With Band 1 (worn on leading wrist), the only time I generally had to alter strokes manually on the Band, was for tap-in gimmies, or dropped shots. However, I did always advance to next hole manually.
If you are manually entering strokes, the maps of the hole WILL be off (logically).

Good points. Yes, on the leading hand and inside wrist. True that adding strokes will make the distance off. I will have to go back and look at the maps and see which ones I know it recorded. How many rounds have you completed with the Band 2? I appreciate your feedback. AS I said, I need to play a couple more rounds to see how I can eliminate some of the issues I have had if they are truly operator error. But in the very bright south florida sun with polarized glasses on, it is a challenge to read the display, and manipulate the app to go to the next tee box if it does not change on it's own.
Also, tell me the sequence you use to find the distance for each shot? When I push the power button before my shot it shows three dashes (front middle back) and then I have to push the flashing arrow (action button) and it then has a pause (incremental blue line) and after about 20 seconds it shows the distance. Am I doing something wrong here?

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

Good points. Yes, on the leading hand and inside wrist. True that adding strokes will make the distance off. I will have to go back and look at the maps and see which ones I know it recorded. How many rounds have you completed with the Band 2? I appreciate your feedback. AS I said, I need to play a couple more rounds to see how I can eliminate some of the issues I have had if they are truly operator error. But in the very bright south florida sun with polarized glasses on, it is a challenge to read the display, and manipulate the app to go to the next tee box if it does not change on it's own.
Also, tell me the sequence you use to find the distance for each shot? When I push the power button before my shot it shows three dashes (front middle back) and then I have to push the flashing arrow (action button) and it then has a pause (incremental blue line) and after about 20 seconds it shows the distance. Am I doing something wrong here?

I have about 20+ rounds on Band 1, and one on Band 2. Do you have a Windows phone? My friend seems to mess with his Band more than me on the golf course, but he has an iPhone (and messes with his SkyCaddie AND phone golf app constantly too, so it may just be him).
I have to lift my polarized sun glasses when walking off the green, to check my shots recorded and advance it to the next hole. But I look at the yardage distance with the sunglasses on. That's my general way of using the Band 1: Let it do it's thing, then as I walk off the green, advance it to the next hole (I don't trust the auto advance.....doesn't always seem to work), and maybe add a stroke if I had a 2-inch gimmie putt.
Checking distance: I hit the power button to bring the screen up, then hit the action button. A bar moves across the screen at the bottom, and in a few seconds the yardages are displayed. I generally use the golf app on my phone for yardages, and only use the Band to double check, or if the cart (my phone is in the cart) is far away.

Oh, and I'm in Tampa, Florida! Great for golf.........

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

H Solo

I am in Naples... But our cheap golf season ended on Saturday so I will be scrambling to get out the next few weeks to further test the band. Sounds like I may just need to get used to it. I used the Band 1 for two weeks and three or four rounds. Thought it worked better than Band 2, so I need a little more time to get used to the routine. And I am more interested in the shot count / analysis than the distance. I have Binoculars and a simple garmin if I need to know the distance. I will try the manual advance to the next hole as you mentioned as I leave the previous green and see how it goes. I also may not have taken the calibration swing on the first tee and may have started the round too early as I was driving a few minutes before reaching the tee.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How accurate is it, out of interest?

I've never compared it. I just know that the band need an outside run with GPS to calibrate your stride length so it can translates "steps" to "distance". Most pedometers have a place you can set it, but the Band is designed to be self-calibrating via the GPS.

JDasenbrock

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
It seems to me the Band 2 battery is draining much faster than Band 1. My typical routine was to charge my Band 1 in the evenings while gaming or watching TV and then go to bed with 100%. Sleep tracking barely touched the battery and then next evening when charging, I would typically be at approximately 60-70%. Now, same routine and my battery is significantly lower than 60%, probably 30-40%. I've been using the Rotate On watch mode with Band 2 whereas I used the always on Watch Mode on Band 1. I have a predominately black interface on Band 2 to get any benefit I can from the new AMOLED screen and minimal alerts. Haven't even tried a bike ride with GPS yet, but I'm worried how that will go.

If, I'm down to a day per charge, so be it. This new band is many times more stylish and comfortable.

Anyone else seeing similar battery performance?

JDasenbrock

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Light years ahead of Band 1 in fit and finish. Just picking it up, you notice the quality feel. The look is quite stylish and is definitely more comfortable that Band 1 (and I never really noticed the Band 1). Touch screen is larger and more responsive. Even after a workout today, a sweaty finger tip worked well to operate the touchscreen. Clasp seems stronger.

Band 2 is superior in every way to Band 1, with the exception of battery life. I'm seem to be burning through a charge at a much faster rate than before. My Band 1 routine was to charge each evening while gaming or watching TV. Battery would be between 60-70 percent typically (watch mode on). Now, with Rotate On watch mode on, I'm seeing 30-40% battery when charging each evening. Haven't tried a GPS bike ride yet.

LucyLovely

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone put a screen protector on? If so, which one? I had gotten a medium at Best Buy, returned it, but they couldn't find the only small they had in stock so I ordered it online. Loved it for the 2 hours I had it, can't wait until I can pick up the new one on Friday.

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Some Gen 1 Band owners had issues getting the 1 min and 2 min ending HR, and that typically went together with not getting a VO2 Max calculation. I rarely got the 1 min and 2 min readings and never got a VO2 max calc. There was a long thread on this with some saying to keep the HR tile open after the workout, and other suggesting a light cool down continuing after ending the work out. None of those ever worked for me.

David, what system are you using? I ask because my band 1 (kept it only two weeks because of this) and my band 2 running windows 8.1 and ICON phone, has a major issue with HR on the bike app. After about five minutes of riding (yes I am sweating) the HR jumps up to 160-170 when it should read about 108-110. As soon as I shut off the app and look at the HR rate on the band, it shows normal. Tried this three times. Obviously this ruinds my stats and is the major reason I own the band. I am going to try the Run app on the ride tomorrow and see if it does it on there as well.

Any ideas?

With my first bike ride commuting to work today, I got the 1 min and 2 min ending HR calc without doing anything special after the ride. So I'm hopeful this is working better with Band 2.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

My phone is a Lumia 1020 on WP8.1.

I'm now 4/4 on getting the 1 and 2 min HR.

Regarding unusual HR, on my first two commutes to work, I got unusual HR spikes that are highly unlikely, as I don't push that hard when commuting and don't have any big climbs.

Screenshot (12).png
Screenshot (13).png

However my 3rd and 4th rides appear to be about what I'd expect to be accurate, so perhaps it needs to get initialized to function properly.

Here's the one from this morning's commute:
Screenshot (14).png

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
My first impression is very positive. Was worried about the fit after reading about sizing differences vs. Band 1, but luckily my medium fits tightly enough, with still a bit to spare (in case my wrist shrinks :wink: ). I never really minded the shape of Band 1, but 2 is really much nicer, and the screen is an improvement too. Will have to see about battery life, but am used to charging mine every morning while showering/etc. anyway. I'm hopeful it won't beat up quite as easily as Band 1 did. Looks like they got the bezel sorted, but now the question is how the clasp's surface will stand up. Anyone seen any protectors on the market yet?

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
MS Store was very helpful in swapping Large for a Medium. Set it up this evening and love it. Shape fits better, screen is crisper, build is nicer.

Band2 2.jpg

SorenCG

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I got mine first thing on Friday and now have had a few days with it. I had the Band V-1 for about a year of constant use except when charging... Had to replace v-1 3 times.

note 1. The band 2 is better in every way so far except battery life seems a bit less, I deffinately have to charge it every day. The highlights for me are the Bette more comfortable fit, raise to show time, stairs climbed, better screen, more running metrics, and bettr charging location that won't corrode as easily.

Note 2. Stairs climbed really has to be to 10 feet or it will miss it,.

Note 3. These are larger than before so you might need a size smaller.

Note 4. The screen works when wet, I ran in a complete downpour and it worked and swiped perfectly.

Note 5. No new killer features but just all around better, and I bet i won't have to return this one due to it breaking prematurely.

What I really want is for the keyboard feature on iPhone that the windows phone version has.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well.....my Band 2 came in today and gotta admit it is nicer than the Band 1. I might be just wearing it at home for a few days to get a better idea as to whether it is the right size (don't want to ding it up out in the wild). I bought the medium direct from Best Buy because I had the medium with the Band 1. The Medium 1 was normally worn on the 2nd or 3rd last click from the end, but rarely the last click. I have the Band 2 on the last click and it is pretty tight, but wonder if it maybe could be one more click for an even tighter fit. Looks like I'll have to hit BB when they have the Band 2 in store and hopefully I can try it on and see. Otherwise, I like the size and the look is much better and is quite comfortable. I'll be interested to see how it feels on the wrist when I sleep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786