[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten Band 2?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you just unboxed a Microsoft Band 2? Is it so recent that you haven't stopped fiddling with it yet?

Give us some quick thoughts on how you like your new device. What stands out right away as a major draw? What seems to be lacking?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I just finished setting up the Band. I want to leave my thoughts on two things.

First, the Band 2 is much more comfortable than the previous version. The flexibility in the sides due to the relocation of the battery is a welcome addition. When I rotate my wrist the band does a better job of moving with my wrist. The curved screen also imparts more comfort than the original Band. Since I wear the band on my inner wrist, this is a welcome adjustment; placing my wrist on my desk feels more comfortable as it allows me to place my wrist in a natural position on a flat surface.

The second noticeable difference is how much nicer the screen is in terms of appearance. The metallic trimming really sets the screen apart from the body of the band. The screen itself is nice, and while it does retain a few smudges, the tactile sensation is smooth. The curvature of the screen also feels better for touch; it provides a more natural movement of my finger as I navigate the screen.

All in all, this is a much more comfortable device. I haven't had the time to put it to practical use, so I'll postpone my thoughts on the functionality until a later time.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a very high quality device. Configuring the tiles from the Health app seem a bit clunky though. I was worried that even the large would be too small, based on that paper strip you can print from PDF off of MS' site. I probably could have gotten a medium, as only the very tightest setting is too tight. Although since I'll wear it working out, a large is probably right as it will allow some room once I'm warmed up.

Not sure if I really did 76 steps though as I've mostly been sitting at my desk.

Going to wear it to bed tonight to track my sleep, and will use it tomorrow morning with my workout.

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
...Configuring the tiles from the Health app seem a bit clunky though...

I agree with you, partially. I agree in that it is not an intuitive process. I'm surprised this wasn't improved drastically from Band 1. I feel that the Health App itself hasn't seen much of an improvement. Perhaps it is because a Universal Health App is coming out later and the developers are focusing their resources on that.

I wouldn't consider it a mark against the Band 2, though. As this isn't an implicit function of the Band 2 I personally did not mention it. It's a weakness of the Health App itself.

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Fed Ex came early in the mourning but I was already off to work. But I was able to pick it up on my way home.

My Thoughts so far?

IT is thinner than I was expecting. After looking at all the close up images I expected it to be a little thicker. I'm very pleased with the thickness. I'm elated about the size. I had the Gen 1 Large and I had to force it on my wrist to wear it in a bit on the last possible adjustment. The Gen 2 fits comfortably, and feel very nice with the new curved contour. I can put it on the last adjustment setting and then tighten it 2 - 3 notches. The new curve screen scrolls better in my opinion and seems a little more natural. I also was impressed about the packaging, very nice. I don't have a problem with the tile manager at all. I do not like that it is limited to a certain number of tiles, but I understand why. I love the seamless setup through the Health app as well. I guess At this point compared to the Gen 1 I'm very pleased the improvements and happy 😊 I pre-ordered. The look to me is very universal and I can see wearing with any of my clothing looks. I wear the face up for a more natural watch look so the clasp does not bother me at all. Also I like the fact that they moved the sensors around. The UV is not one I'm concerned with at all so face is my preferred choice.

Rotate on reminds me of the glance feature on my phone...😁

I really need to find a way to protect it on my wrist from bumping and scratching it while I'm at work. I fix machines all day and the band is a God send for me not having to reach for my phone while I work. I bought my wife plenty of different color guards that fit on her apple watch to protect it and give it a color change at the same time and they work out well for her. I'm wondering if something like that will be available from a third party for Gen 2. I will be searching.

Last edited:

p.ashton

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Had to stop by the Microsoft Store today and walked out with my new Band 2. Looks and feels much nicer than the first model. The clasp is a little bulky but still looks nice with the metal finish. They have made them a little larger than before. My first band was a large but now I have a medium. Right now my favorite feature is the watch rotate mode. My first band was always in watch mode which probably didn't help the battery life. Can't wait to see how this one compares.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Compared to Gen 1:
*The Band 2 feels much better on the wrist. Way more flexible and form fitting. Sleeves slide over much easier.
*The screen looks much nicer.
*The fit and finish is a big improvement.
*The battery charger is a big upgrade in terms of the way it connects, and no connectors on the inside.
I've got crappy outdoor weather, so won't be able to test GPS on a bike or walk for at least a couple days. Can't wait to try the intelligent wake up function.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Far more elegant in appearance than Gen 1.

Rotate to briefly show time is a great improvement.

I like the way the wake up alarm is part of the sleep tile.

Can't say how the touch screen will perform in bright sunshine or when fingers are sweaty, but in the office/home it is gorgeous.

jimmib

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
got mine this afternoon and so far I like everything about it....this is my first exercise tracking device so I think I started with a good one....will be playing with all the features for the next few days....I was surprised when I got my 1st text on it....gonna have to get used to that and it letting me know who's calling

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
here in Charlotte, I called the MS store at around 10:15. I didn't know this but you never get connected to the store...it goes to some central call center. I was frustrated as all I wanted to know was if they had any so that I can come and purchase the frickin thing! But the rep just said we don't know how many they may have...or not have. I said, can you just connect me to the store? I want to speak with someone who is in the store! He said, no, and that I would just have to go to the store to and check....I hung up on his ***, very frustrated. Microsoft still making it very hard for us to BUY their products at the flippin stores!! So lunch I headed there and the store had not even received their shipment....waste of time.

I came back at around 8:eek:o p.m. not very hopeful, but they actually had a few left from PreOrders, and their shipment came in at 6:00. I snagged one. I almost bought the Band 1 but the voice inside told me to hold off, and Im glad I did. This device is really nice. I have the medium, and I really like it. I havent work a watch since I was in the eighth grade! Im now 41 (but I can outrun 90% of people on this board I'm sure haha). I'm going to test it out and give more feedback...but I would say this is an awesome fitness device.

Note to MS: Help us buy your stuff...I used to laugh at all the "When in India" comments....but now I know get it haha!

Last edited:

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
After minimal use before it died last night:

1. I like that it can finally show emoji's instead of blank boxes.
2. Touchscreen responses is good.
3. Love the screen (much improved!)

Only cons so far:

1. Seems not to be consistent on receiving all my text messages.
2. I don't like the new location for the battery charger compared to the 1. Seems like the magnetics are not that strong.

pil71

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Band 2 Review

Much better looking band, but unfortunately, the same issues with inaccurate sleep detection and inaccurate HR during exercises. Not much improvement on those fronts. Just completed a hard workout with max HR of 180 and calories 663 per chest strap. MS Band Max HR 164, calories 534. Not even close.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Tried the sleep tracking last night, pretty cool.

Used the run tracking for my treadmill routine this morning. The heart rate seems all over the place. At times it would have my HR at 93 even though i was doing the incline portion and 30 seconds earlier it had me at 120. My HR was higher standing and wiping down the machine than at some points during the workout.

I've been using the Zephyr HxM BT monitor with Run.gps app on my Lumia. My heart rare for the same routine last week was significantly higher than the Band reported. According to that my calorie burn was 782, but since the Band was overall lower it reported 473. So not sure which is more accurate, but the Zephyr uses electrodes like a Polar monitor would, but mine is broken so I can't compare.

Steps seem more or less accurate, although it missed a trip up the stairs yesterday but got both so far today.

Overall so far I'm liking the band.

jimmib

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
just got back from my WET walk and really liked the heart monitor....mine seems to be fairly accurate so far....I used the run app to record my walk and it buzzed every mile witch was nice....so far so good.....:)

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Band 2 Review

So, which one is correct - the Band or whatever you're using with the chest strap? If the chest strap device is so much better, why did you buy another Band?

HdHunter

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate the quick impressions. I should have come to this forum 1st. I've been asking about the accuracy of the HR monitor and from what I'm reading now, I'll have to take a pass and see what happens with MS Band 3. At least my Nike+ Sports Watch and Polar Monitor are still ticking. Maybe if the Band 2 had NFC for mobile payments I'd buy one. Bummed! Waiting again. Also, bummed that so far, T-Mo won't carry the Lumia 940. Let's see if there is a Surface Phone on the horizon. I'm waiting. :(

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
here in Charlotte, I called the MS store at around 10:15. I didn't know this but you never get connected to the store...it goes to some central call center. I was frustrated as all I wanted to know was if they had any so that I can come and purchase the frickin thing! But the rep just said we don't know how many they may have...or not have. I said, can you just connect me to the store? I want to speak with someone who is in the store! He said, no, and that I would just have to go to the store to and check....I hung up on his ***, very frustrated. Microsoft still making it very hard for us to BUY their products at the flippin stores!! So lunch I headed there and the store had not even received their shipment....waste of time.

I came back at around 8:eek:o p.m. not very hopeful, but they actually had a few left from PreOrders, and their shipment came in at 6:00. I snagged one. I almost bought the Band 1 but the voice inside told me to hold off, and Im glad I did. This device is really nice. I have the medium, and I really like it. I havent work a watch since I was in the eighth grade! Im now 41 (but I can outrun 90% of people on this board I'm sure haha). I'm going to test it out and give more feedback...but I would say this is an awesome fitness device.

Note to MS: Help us buy your stuff...I used to laugh at all the "When in India" comments....but now I know get it haha!

next time your in the store ask the manager for the direct number. i was able to get my local number, and it makes all the difference

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
An important detail that I haven't read is how it scratches compared to the first one. First one was full of scratches before I even closed the clasp for the first time.

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Point of sale comments:

Bought mine today at a Best Buy. This particular Best Buy has a huge (almost one side of the entire store) WINDOWS section, it's very inviting and has every Windows based device that they sell in that section(one of the HP laptops shocked me at how good it looked,lol)...except the band. The band display was in a small "wearables" aisle completely on the other side of the store. While it's needed in that section too, Microsoft should make certain that the band is prominently displayed in that huge 'all things Windows' section as well, people need to be able to see it even when they aren't looking for it (good marketing).

One more thing, there were no samples in the store to try on, I actually had to buy one in order to try it on. I bought a large, stood right there at the counter, unboxed it and tried it on and promptly handed it back and asked for a medium, then I had to go over to cust svc and make an exchange. That was ridiculous, there has to be a better way. Microsoft should at least provide some dummy samples for fitment at point of sale.

The band:

This is my first fitness band so I don't have much to compare it to but...so far I love it. Haven't had time to test a lot of the fitness features yet but everything else is working great, texts(receiving and replying), emails, notifications, cortana, love the rotate function for the clock, calendar, FB notifications, etc. As far as the HR monitor goes, it seems to be fairly accurate based on what I know about my own heart rate but I do plan to compare it to the heart rate shown on my home blood pressure monitor (I'll report back).

I've been able to change the theme/background with several apps: Fanband (for my sports team); Pimp my Band, and perhaps the best...Live Lock & Band. The band wallpaper on LL&B is clearly better than the rest. Hopefully I'll get to test out the golf app pretty soon, which as an avid golfer, is what attracted me to this device in first place. Good luck with yours folks!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3