advice for a Band 2 newbie

cjallan417

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've searched through the forums and read about different apps people use, but as a Windows Phone user expecting a Band 2 delivery soon I'm wondering what the data syncing/collection will be like.

I currently use Runtastic and believe I will continue to do so as I see no substitute in the store that gives me the same features. I also sync this data to MyFitnessPal. (Band supports Runkeeper, which doesn't support Windows Phone, and MapMyRun, which is weak on Windows Phone...so I have looked into alternatives but they aren't really alternatives.)

Since MS health syncs with MyFitnessPal (not sure if sync goes both ways), my initial reaction was to sync and get my Runtastic info into MS Health that way, but this will likely be pretty generic and possibly redundant with whatever the Band may possibly input into MS Health.

So my question is: Say I go for a run, what information does Band load to MS Health (steps, calories, distance)? What different information would it load when GPS is on vs off (because I hear many say they'll turn it off to conserve battery life on a long run)?

Thanks in advance!

cjallan417

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It does measure distance with GPS off. How accurately I'm not sure. I'm planning on doing runs with and without GPS to see just how accurate it is. I'll try to remember to comment back with any findings.

Using the Band 2 for a few days and seeing how it syncs activity, it looks like it sends the data out (to Runkeeper, MapMyFitness, MyFitnessPal, etc). Since I also had MyFitnessPal synced to the other two, it also got their activity as well, overstating in MyFitnessPal. Nothing came back to MS Health though. After this little trial and thinking about what I want synced and where, I've turned off some of the syncing between MFP and others, sending only MS Health. Runtastic will stand on its own now. MyFitnessPal will get fed MS Health data to be supplemented with food items (if I ever get back to tracking/eating better).

So I guess I answered my own questions with some testing. I suppose it's all a matter of preference. But figured still worth sharing here in case anyone else who's as anal as I am is curious what data moves here and there between all the apps.

Samuel Hernandez1

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I did a GPS off run a couple days after getting the band because the GPS just wouldn't lock. At the end of the run it was about .5 km off. I saw somewhere else in the forum that repeated GPS runs get that figure to be more accurate.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
In my limited experience, running without GPS is fairly accurate, but I have had plenty of GPS runs to calibrate it. Early on in my Band ownership, I ran on a small indoor track that is approximately 1/16th of a mile. I ran 4 laps twice about 30 minutes apart and it reported 0.23 and 0.25 miles. I ran a full mile (16 laps) a few months later after more GPS calibration, and it told me I hit a mile around 15.5 laps.

A few weeks ago, I jogged through my neighborhood when I couldn't get a GPS lock at the beginning of the run. It finally locked about 0.7 miles into the run and notified me I had hit 1 mile about 15 seconds before I reached my usual mile marker. It is very close, but my experience with no GPS is that it slightly overestimates my distance.

As for the question in the OP, the data collected in from the Band or your phone's step counter is the only input method for Microsoft Health. The Health app can share data to the other connected apps, but there is no way for those apps to share data back to the MS Health dashboard.

Last edited:

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did a test on a 2:15 bike ride with GPS on yesterday with Band 2. Started with a completely full battery and had 58% left at the end of the ride. So if the battery discharge is linear, that would indicate over 5 hours of bike or run monitoring with GPS on. I also accidentally left the screen on for a portion of the ride. If kept off other than periodic checking that should have extended the battery even more. So there's no reason for most people to ever turn off GPS while running or biking to save battery unless doing very long activities exceeding 5 hours or if you are going to be in a situation where you won't be able to top off the battery throughout the day. Normally I use GPS on all of my rides, but I am planning on doing RAGBRAI next summer and was curious what it can do if pushed to the limit.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I did a test on a 2:15 bike ride with GPS on yesterday with Band 2. Started with a completely full battery and had 58% left at the end of the ride. So if the battery discharge is linear, that would indicate over 5 hours of bike or run monitoring with GPS on. I also accidentally left the screen on for a portion of the ride. If kept off other than periodic checking that should have extended the battery even more. So there's no reason for most people to ever turn off GPS while running or biking to save battery unless doing very long activities exceeding 5 hours or if you are going to be in a situation where you won't be able to top off the battery throughout the day. Normally I use GPS on all of my rides, but I am planning on doing RAGBRAI next summer and was curious what it can do if pushed to the limit.

The course you rode affects the battery life too. If you're riding on a course where trees or buildings block your signal for long stretches, the receiver will use more power trying to maintain or re-establish a lock. At the other extreme, if you are riding a flat course without any trees or buildings, there should be less drain on the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786