06-23-2016 05:03 PM
80 1234
tools
    Cheers DU42, I noticed that during a run, but the Microsoft Health posted above clearly states it is suppose to count stairs descended.
    "Microsoft Band has a built-in barometer that can count the number of flights of stairs you’ve climbed and descended."
    Think I will wait for the next firmware update before I considered getting it replaced.
    12-10-2015 11:01 AM
    As far as the problem of accurately counting stairs - I'm sure one issue the designer faced was trying to measure pressure differences due to change in altitude and changes due to weather. My guess is they included logic to only record changes that happened during walking. (Escalators don't count!)

But given the Step Count Issues thread, maybe the problem is the band isn't sensing steps as you go up stairs. You might want to test this theory by noticing how you hold your Band arm when climbing stairs. Do you:
    • Let your band arm hang/swing freely?
    • Do you hold the handrail but move along in spurts (almost like you were pulling your self along using the handrail.)
    • Run your Band hand over the rail at a steady speed - not really holding onto it, but just ready to grab if you need it.

My thought is that the first method see most likely to see that you are walking. The last method is least likely to register as walking.
    12-10-2015 07:12 PM
    Today was a big update (music and activity). Does anyone know if it fixed this problem with the altimeter? And the inaccurate heart rate monitor with high activity?
    12-10-2015 08:56 PM
    Haha, bursted out laughing, it sounds like you found my floors too :)
    01-04-2016 01:11 PM
    This is not working correctly for me.

This morning I walked down 7 flights of stairs and my band only registered 1.
    01-06-2016 09:24 AM
    elevation maybe?
    Possibly the weather. Rising or falling barometric pressure.
    01-06-2016 07:50 PM
    I usually only do about 8 floors per day if you count up and down, but my Band usually averages counting about double that number. This doesn't bother me as my stairs climbed is fairly insignificant to my daily step count. I just revisited this page because I noticed yesterday that my Band stopped counting floors completely. I'm not sure why the change because it has been a week and a half since I've installed any sort of updates tot he Health app or to the Band's firmware.
    02-11-2016 01:23 PM
    After a week of the Band not counting any floors climbed, I decided to perform a factory reset. It successfully counted the 1 floor I climbed when I arrived at work this morning.
    02-17-2016 09:41 AM
    ah well...I ran a 13 miler...on a flat a road as can be (Nassau, Bahamas) and on my return to the port I discovered that I had magically climbed 117 floors while running on the flattest road imaginable.
    then another run from Miami Cruise Port Terminal to Brickell area...apparently there are 430 floors that I run up while bumbling around Miami Circle :-)
    03-01-2016 06:45 PM
    ah well...I ran a 13 miler...on a flat a road as can be (Nassau, Bahamas) and on my return to the port I discovered that I had magically climbed 117 floors while running on the flattest road imaginable.
    then another run from Miami Cruise Port Terminal to Brickell area...apparently there are 430 floors that I run up while bumbling around Miami Circle :-)
    I've noticed that extremely low elevations can mess with altimeters. Could be what's going on here.
    03-12-2016 03:46 PM
    The altimeter on my Band 2 is definitely wonky. It is always way overboard in its readings. The Band 1 was actually more accurate in its "estimate", which I'm guessing was determined by placing the recorded track line on top of existing topographic data and reading the resulting data. I've found other altimeters in the past to also be prone to inaccuracies, and sensitive to weather conditions. Altimeters do best at least a certain height over sea level (~400 feet or so, depending on pressure conditions), and day/night changes (pressure drops at nightfall) and heavy winds (lots of little microchanges in pressure) both affect the altimeter reading. Honestly, MS would do best to drop the reliance on barometer readings for altitude, and go back to the old way of reading existing map-based topographic data. Or, allow us to manually input elevation readings at certain known spots, to help calibrate the altimeter as we go. Long story short, reading altitude from barometric pressure is hard, and requires some intelligent massaging of the data to get accurate readings.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-12-2016 04:00 PM
    The floor counting is completely useless, this morning my Band 2 was already showing 11 floors even before I got off of my bed lol. Counted 44 floors yesterday and 34 floors the day before even though I have climbed only 1 flight of stairs each day (up and down) once.
    Step counting also terrible, it counts thousands of steps while I am riding my motorcycle, never had this problem with my old band 1.
    I understand it is not supposed to be dead on precise on these metrics, but the way it is working for me is unacceptable.
    04-02-2016 09:26 AM
    My band 2 has always wildly over-estimated my floor count - I regularly get counts between 200 and 400 floors, on a normal day in the flatlands of southern England. Maybe 20 floors really climbed, maybe 50 on a busy day.

I though hardware might be faulty, but my Band 2 died and was replaced under warranty, and the replacement band has exactly the same problem; so maybe I just wave my arms a lot more than a Microsoft-Typical human?

Paul
    04-15-2016 06:32 AM
    I'm having a different experience with the refurbished unit I just received, to replace my original Band 2, which was suffering from a split strap. The altimeter is much more accurate on this new one. So there is some hardware variance, apparently. Maybe try another replacement through MS Support?
    04-15-2016 12:36 PM
    Same for me!
    On my first Band2 , the floor count was very accurate at first , yet after 2 months it went all over the place. Now, on my second (refurbished) Band 2 everything is back to normal.
    So, I guess certain sensors are very fragile. For me it should be enough a reason to be granted a new refurbished Band.
    04-15-2016 12:52 PM
    Gee the barometer in my area has been dropping every single day for 5 months I have registered over 100 flights every single day, when I am 70yrs old and very seldom leave my home with no stairs
    04-15-2016 01:38 PM
    Hmm a lot of complaining here. Don't you realize that "the" floor distance simply doesn't exist? In houses, every floor is about 3 meters, but it could also be 4 in older houses. In companies and schools, this could even be way larger. And what is the world-widely accepted standard number of steps on a stairway? It doesn't exist.

No wonder floors can't be counted correctly, I guess Microsoft uses some kind of avarage floor height that they use for measurements, and that's all that's possible...
    04-15-2016 01:53 PM
    Of course the height of floors varies. So let's say you pick 3 meters as the "normal" floor height. If I know that my floors are 33% greater than "normal," then I should expect approximately 33% more floors calculated by the band than what I actually did. Is that indeed what the Band is telling us? Or is it off by 330% or more at times?

I know that the bike climb data is off by 300-400% for me lately, making it worthless for calculating elevation.

I get that this is an emerging technology, and it is exciting to see new features added every couple of months. So I do have a tolerance for MS figuring this out as they go. However, it is 6 months since Band 2 was released. They should have it dialed in by now, unless the hardware is junk, in which case, it would have been better to have left it out with this version. Part of my decision to upgrade was the inclusion of elevation data, which I would like to have.
    04-15-2016 07:28 PM
    Hmm a lot of complaining here. Don't you realize that "the" floor distance simply doesn't exist? In houses, every floor is about 3 meters, but it could also be 4 in older houses. In companies and schools, this could even be way larger. And what is the world-widely accepted standard number of steps on a stairway? It doesn't exist.

No wonder floors can't be counted correctly, I guess Microsoft uses some kind of avarage floor height that they use for measurements, and that's all that's possible...
    But what about 100 to 150 floors every day for 5 months when I am 70yrs old no stairs to climb just walk on flat ground. I dont care what average they use I should be at zero like my fitbit surge use to show all the time.
    04-16-2016 07:53 AM
    But what about 100 to 150 floors every day for 5 months when I am 70yrs old no stairs to climb just walk on flat ground. I dont care what average they use I should be at zero like my fitbit surge use to show all the time.
    Hmm, that just seems as a hardware error to me for your specific band.
    04-16-2016 10:28 AM
    Hmm, that just seems as a hardware error to me for your specific band.
    May be but this is the 3rd Band2 with the exact same problem what are the odds of that happening???????????????
    04-16-2016 12:12 PM
    May be but this is the 3rd Band2 with the exact same problem what are the odds of that happening???????????????
    Maybe you move in an irregular way that makes the bands think you pass a lot of stairs. Have you entered your weight and length correctly in the Microsoft Health app?
    04-16-2016 03:06 PM
    The Band can't count stairs? There's a surprise.
    04-17-2016 03:32 PM

I have both the Fitbit Surge and MS Band 2. The Surge has no trouble counting floors. I get credit for one floor whether it's the 7 1/2' basement stairs or the 12' stairwell at the office (4 x 12' stairs with landings between each set of steps. I get credit for 4 stairs).

Plus the Surge correctly gives me credit for going up steps only; not up and down like the B2.

I stop wearing my Band 2. Not only was the stair count largely inaccurate when I walked up stairs, I was getting 100+ floors during days where I was sitting in my office desk (or home watching TV) and the weather (i.e., Barometric pressure) was changing outside. My record for one day was 215 (actual stairs count was ~20).
    04-19-2016 07:16 AM
    I have both the Fitbit Surge and MS Band 2. The Surge has no trouble counting floors. I get credit for one floor whether it's the 7 1/2' basement stairs or the 12' stairwell at the office (4 x 12' stairs with landings between each set of steps. I get credit for 4 stairs).

Plus the Surge correctly gives me credit for going up steps only; not up and down like the B2.

I stop wearing my Band 2. Not only was the stair count largely inaccurate when I walked up stairs, I was getting 100+ floors during days where I was sitting in my office desk (or home watching TV) and the weather (i.e., Barometric pressure) was changing outside. My record for one day was 215 (actual stairs count was ~20).
    That's it. I'm getting the Fitbit Charge and call it a day.
    04-20-2016 11:04 PM
80 1234