Why isn't my Band 2 counting the floors I climbed correctly?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure Band 2 is counting floors climbed correctly

I received my Band 2 today and got it set up and running. I've been up and down the stairs in my house a few times today already and the band still shows 0 Floors. I don't know if the sensor isn't working or if the elevation change is insufficient to register as a "Floor". What does it consider a "Floor"? Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know how this is supposed to work?

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Not sure Band 2 is counting floors climbed correctly

I decided to try it myself. I went up and down my stairs 5 times and my Band only counted it twice. You are not alone with this problem.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

WAG: For quick estimation, a floor is 10 feet.

Now, few technical questions (which I'm not expecting anyone but MS to know the answer):
  • How often does the Band check the pressure? We know with B1, unless you were in excise mode, the HR sensor only worked 1 minute out of every 10. Is the pressure sensor the same way such that a quick up/down could be missed?
  • What is the resolution of the pressure sensor? Can it resolve a single floor (10'), or does it take multiple floors to "register"?
  • Does it only count "up" and not "down"? Or only "net" change?

g2red89

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

I noticed this too. I went to the mall and went up several escalators and yet still 0 floors. I thought maybe it was because I wasn't actually 'walking' up just kinda gliding, but glad to hear I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

WAG: For quick estimation, a floor is 10 feet.

True. I have two flights of stairs in my home, though. I walked up and down both five times and the Band still only read 2 of those. My guess is the firmware needs to be updated for the sensors to correctly assess this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The barometer may need to be calibrated. I don't have a Band 2, but have had a phone with a barometer and a scientific type watch with an altimeter. Check in the sync app to see if you can adjust the baseline pressure inside the tile.

Use your local airport for a value of pressure or if altitude is called for find your altitude on the web.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

So, I've walked up and down my stairs a few more times since my original post, and wow, I've climbed 1 floor. Geez, do I have to climb a lighthouse for this to work right? The way I understand it is the band uses changes in barometric pressure to determine changes in elevation. Perhaps the barometer just needs time to calibrate itself. If I remember correctly with the first band, the step counter needed time to calibrate itself, and using the GPS helped with that process. So maybe the barometer just needs time to adjust to its environment in order to accurately measure changes in barometric pressure? I'm just guessing here. I really don't have a clue.

I haven't been able to find any information on Microsoft's support page. There's no mention of any means to manually calibrate the barometer. I guess I'll have to contact support to see if they can shed some light on this. Hopefully, it will fix itself over time, or get fixed with an update if it's a bug. I'm hoping it's not a defective barometer.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

I doubt if it's "calibration" as much as "stability". You probably need to go "up" and stay there until the pressure change registers.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I doubt if it's "calibration" as much as "stability". You probably need to go "up" and stay there until the pressure change registers.
Every time I've gone up and down the stairs today, I did stay on that floor for a long while. How much time would it need to register the pressure change?

lfanb

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I think I found your floors! My band says I climbed 14 floors, and I don't recall climbing any.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It's frustrating not knowing if this is just a bug that'll eventually get fixed or if the barometer in my band is defective. I guess I'll wait a few days to see if it improves. I reported the issue to Microsoft support, so we'll see what happens.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Wait a few days and see how others respond. See if everyone has the same problem or if it's only a few.

If that's the way it works, I'd think MS would have to say something fairly soon.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site

If it only counts going up stairs, then mine has correctly logged each time I've gone up and down the stairs at home.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

If it only counts going up stairs, then mine has correctly logged each time I've gone up and down the stairs at home.
Question: what is the height of your stairs? Some people may have homes that have half-story steps.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Mine appears to have started working. The last two times I went upstairs, it logged it. I checked the number at the bottom of the stairs, then checked it again when I got upstairs and it incremented. Will continue to monitor it for a while to see if it's consistent. Maybe the barometer just needed time to adjust to my location or something.

daymouse

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Ova had a Fitbit before and the way that worked was

It only counted going upstairs not coming down.

If your in a lift or on an escalator it won't count. It used the most in sensors to register you walking along with the change in altitude.

Every 10 feet in altitude was classed as a set of stairs as 10 feet is the average height of a set of stairs.

I'm guessing this will work the same way.

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Yesterday I walked up 10 flights to my apartment and the Band2 recorded all 10 precisely as I reached the top of each floor.
So this morning I walked up the same 10 flights and this time it only recorded every other floor and showed 5 flights at the end.
Tonight I walked up the same 10 flights and it showed a total of 8 flights. So I don't think it has to have time to adjust because it was absolutely perfect the first time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6