Is Band 2 a windows 10 device?

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I'm thinking about buying myself a Band 2. I live in the Netherlands, and the Band 2 isn't available here, so I would have to import it. No big deal, if the thing is actually worth it. I like the features of the device and I am always curious about new tech, so no doubt the thing is worth it for now, but I'm not sure on the long term. One thing I was wondering, is this actually a Windows 10 device? With Microsoft propaganda telling us Windows 10 would be the universal OS for all devices, also IoT devices, I think this is important for the long term. Or is this just a simple, almost 'dumb' device with it's own basic firmware and thats it?

Seems hard to find any information about it, let alone whether this actually matters. Maybe one of you guys could enlighten me. Does the band 2 runs windows 10, or if not: would a Band 3 on windows 10 be theoretically worth the wait?

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Just curious.... why does it matter if Band(x) is Win10 or not? I have a B2 and wonder about these questions. I look at it this way. The Band is a focused product which does everything I could ask for that will likely improve over time.

Why try to squeeze something like Win10 in this package? What are the advantages?

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. It is perfect at transmitting notifications and great as a fitness tracking device. I couldn't care less about apps on my smart wearable, and only need the basics. My phone does everything else better.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks RumoredNow, answer couldn't be any clearer :).

Well, I'm not sure IF it would even matter if the Band is a windows 10 device or not, but I can imagine a Windows 10 device would automatically get more updates. I'm just afraid Microsoft will turn Band 1 & 2 in de next Surface RT thing.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious.... why does it matter if Band(x) is Win10 or not? I have a B2 and wonder about these questions. I look at it this way. The Band is a focused product which does everything I could ask for that will likely improve over time.

Why try to squeeze something like Win10 in this package? What are the advantages?

Several unknowns but one potential advantage would be for people who buy apps. Granted there aren't many apps for the original Band but look how many of those apps still need to be updated for Band 2. I'd bet that some never will be updated for the Band 2.

If Band 3 goes to W10 IoT, how hard will it be to update the current first and second generation Band apps. Microsoft will probably make any conversion simple but it is an unknown.

This might all be moot anyway if the lifespan for current gen casual fitness trackers is more likely to be measured in months and not years.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...the lifespan for current gen casual fitness trackers is more likely to be measured in months and not years.

The Band can take 1,000 full charges. I charge every 2 days. That's 2,000 days / 365 = 5.48 years. Assume a more realistic 750 charges and a charge rate of 1.5 days that is still 1,125 days or 3.08 years...

Perhaps you are referring to user interest and not device potential???

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Band can take 1,000 full charges. I charge every 2 days. That's 2,000 days / 365 = 5.48 years. Assume a more realistic 750 charges and a charge rate of 1.5 days that is still 1,125 days or 3.08 years...

Perhaps you are referring to user interest and not device potential???

No, I meant how long these casual fitness device actually last in everyday use. You can tell the difference in the build quality between current casual devices and sports fitness devices. The battery in the Band 2 might have years worth of charging cycles but if the plastic peels away or the wrist band snaps, charging cycles don't mean much. Hopefully the Band 2 will be much more durable than the original Band. Give it 4-6 months for a good sampling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro