Why has my Band 2 stopped turning on?

Frank Lai1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Stopped turning on

I received the band 2 several days ago and it has been working great. I charged it last night to about 90%. This morning, the alarm works and everything was functioning normally. On my way to work though, I noticed that the band stop responding. I found out that the screen no longer turns on. Pressing on either buttons (holding it, several presses...) does not do anything either. The screen just stays off.

I have held both buttons for 20 sec and nothing has happened either.

Does anyone have any idea what happened? I don't have a charger with me, so I can't just plug it in and see what happens, but I don't think it is a better issue. Or is there a manual hard reset?

Thanks

Last edited:

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stopped turning on

I encountered something similar yesterday and thought I had plenty of charge left but when I connected it to the charger, it says it has 0% battery and it won't charge. I can't get it to do anything this morning so the only choice I have left it to take it back to the MS store today.

Jason Burroughs1

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

Mine too.. died real quick from full charge and then wont charge. will turn on when plugged in but wont respond to button press or hold a charge.
three in one day? hmm

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Same here. I bought mine at Best Buy on Sunday, paired it with my 640, and has yet to turn in back on. I have tried plugging into different outlets, to try and feel that vibration, letting you know its charging, but nothing. I have no idea what the issue is...

partiallypro

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen to me twice, the only way to "wake" the device is to plug it back into the charger, the instantly it jumps from 0% to the actual battery percentage at 75% or so when it turned off. I hope this is a software bug...I'm starting to think it is since I keep seeing people post about it. I had this happen to me just a few days after I bought the band...and I fixed it when I got home (by simply plugging it in) it was ok up until literally today and it did the same thing again. Had 100% charge and then "died" at around 10am. I'm assuming when I get home it will again be fixed simply by plugging it in...but that's very annoying. It really does throw off your work out routine. They need to fix this quickly. I have not found a way to "fix" it without plugging it in, but carrying around my charger everywhere I go is not acceptable.

Frank p Lai

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
So I placed my band 2 on my charger and it says the batter has been completely drained. I left it on my charger for 1 hour, but it still says 0%. Did a factory reset only to have a blank screen with an empty battery charging icon and a blinking dot on the opposite side.

Contacted Microsoft support, and deemed my unit to be defective. Toler me to return it, which I will be doing to exchange for a new one.

As for the Microsoft support rep, they said many people have been having this issue.,

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
So I placed my band 2 on my charger and it says the batter has been completely drained. I left it on my charger for 1 hour, but it still says 0%. Did a factory reset only to have a blank screen with an empty battery charging icon and a blinking dot on the opposite side.

Contacted Microsoft support, and deemed my unit to be defective. Toler me to return it, which I will be doing to exchange for a new one.

As for the Microsoft support rep, they said many people have been having this issue.,

Resetting any hardware at 0% battery makes you a Daredevil. Bad idea.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I was going to MS Store tomorrow and was thinking about getting the Band 2. Hmmm, maybe not now. Lol has to be software bug if this many people are experiencing the same thing.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

I've seen this problem posted numerous times here and on another forum. Along with the HR issues people are having. Think I'm gonna hold off until after the holidays to buy one. Maybe they'll drop the price first of the year? Maybe they'll come out with a firmware update to correct these problems.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear, I'm itching to get one (in the UK they are available from tomorrow) but this makes me pause. Hmmm.

Can those with the issue keep us posted as to any resolution?

partiallypro

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I can now confirmed this is 100% a hardware issue, and I assume it might effect almost every device unless it's just those from a certain lot. Yesterday I posted here and said it happened again; however this morning when I disconnected it from the charger it immediately shut off. Something it didn't do last time.

So I was curious and started pressing really hard on the battery housing on the bottom of the band...did that and pressed the power button and boom, it turns on. I then barely tap the battery housing and it turns off immediately. So, my guess is that something is defective about the battery housing itself. Maybe the ratchet being so close to the housing is allowing a connection to be jarred loose.

I hope Microsoft knows about this. I am contacting the Microsoft store today to get a replacement, but I fear it's going to have the same issue before long. Looks like I will be breaking out my Band 1 for a while for my workouts while I sit and wait. :(

partiallypro

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I was going to MS Store tomorrow and was thinking about getting the Band 2. Hmmm, maybe not now. Lol has to be software bug if this many people are experiencing the same thing.

Sadly, it seems to be a hardware failure, which makes me worry a lot more :/

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Sadly, it seems to be a hardware failure, which makes me worry a lot more :/

I was just there and hour ago, tried the Band 2 on. It wasn't as balky as I was thinking and looked pretty darn nice. Should have bought it but just couldn't pull the trigger.

sooby77

Jan 27, 2007
Visit site

Had this exact issue and did exactly as you did. I went to the store and exchanged it.

Chris Pruc

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Im having the same issue of it shutting down but it only happens when I bring it close to my work radio . I'm assuming some type of signal is forcing it off. Could be what's happening to other ppl as well ....some sort of interference that is forcing the unit off. Here's a videohttps://youtu.be/R9J78FLtnMY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786