Microsoft Band 2 Doesn't Work With Lumia 950XL (yet)?

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Band 2 Doesn't Work With Lumia 950XL (yet)

So, I just upgraded from the 1520 and purchased the Lumia 950XL. Got home and updated all the apps on the phone. Turns out Microsoft Health app running on the 950XL will not recognize and properly pair with the Microsoft Band 2. Called Microsoft support and they said it is not yet compatible with the Lumia 950XL and they are working on fixing the issue. Anyone else have this problem as well?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Band 2 Doesn't Work With Lumia 950XL (yet)

What? No, I got both my Lumia 950XL and the band 2 yesterday and opened them pretty much at the same time and paired easily and working well ever since. Health app, all the band related stuff works. That sounds like either faulty device or something's wrong with the firmware?

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Had my Band 2 before getting my 950XL, took a few try's to get it to see the Band when setting BT connection, but once it did haven't had any problems

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I can not get my band 2 to sync with my 950 XL either. I've tried multiple times but nothing seems to work. I've paired it back up to my Nexus 6 (which works every time) just to get the band off the 'getting things ready' screen. But I'd like to get my notifications working again as I'm not going to be using my nexus as my daily driver anymore.

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I've gotten it to pair with Bluetooth, but the Microsoft Health app allows you to select the name of the Band and choose to pair, but then the Health app never gets off the Pair your band screen. It fails with a message that says "Unable to Pair" An error occurred while attempting to pair your selected device. I've tried every which way and can never get past that screen in the Microsoft Health app. As far as being paired to your phone with Bluetooth, yes that works, but the Microsoft Health App will not work, at least for me. And when I called into Microsoft support the tech stated they knew about the issue, and were working on it, but said it could take a week or a month to get a fix out to users, and even told me to go back to using my 1520 until the fix is out.

jjmorgan64

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

My band 2 and Xl paired no issues and are working perfectly, absolutely no issues at all

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Ok, after posting my last post I tried it again. I went in to my Bluetooth settings and realized that the band was still paired in my phone even though it wasn't in the app. I then deleted it from the phones Bluetooth pairing under settings, and then went back into the Health app. This time each prompt that It gave when you get to pairing the device through the health app I made sure I hit the Pair now on the phone and the band at the same time, and it worked. I swear I tried everything but this yesterday. Hope this helps, glad it's working now.

Rezzee

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm running into the same issue. Hell of it is, I had it all working last night with no problems until I had to hard reset my phone to get the Lumia Offers app to work.

Here is my sequence of events:

wp_ss_20151128_0004.jpg
I go through the steps, everything works fine. The phone sees the Band, the Band sees the phone. I grant it permission to show notifications, etc etc.

wp_ss_20151128_0003.jpg
The phone proceeds to the final "Getting Things Ready..." step, this message is displayed on the Band and the App.

wp_ss_20151128_0002 1.jpg
Then, even though the pairing process is completed and the phone is connected to the Band (I confirmed in Bluetooth settings), I get this error message. Every time.

Things I've tried to resolve this:

• Reset the Microsoft Band 2
  • Uninstall Microsoft Health
  • Remove Microsoft Band 2 from the known devices in Bluetooth menu
  • Check for updates on the Microsoft Health app
  • Performed another hard reset on the phone. No luck.

I'm truly at a loss for words since I had this up and running fine before I had to do a hard reset this morning. Any additional suggestions would be wonderful, I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Last edited:

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Rezzee, this is exactly what is happening to me.
I was about to post the same screen shots. I've tried all your steps and also no success. Hopefully someone will have some other ideas or a solution.

Rezzee

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Rezzee, this is exactly what is happening to me.
I was about to post the same screen shots. I've tried all your steps and also no success. Hopefully someone will have some other ideas or a solution.

I fixed it! I did some digging and found a "hard reset" for the Band 2. Make sure you are ready to start fresh again (remove the Band from Bluetooth, close the Health app, etc), and make sure your Band is on the language select screen.

Press and hold the power & action buttons for roughly 5 seconds. The Band will vibrate and flash a red screen before rebooting. Be sure to have a charger handy, it will require you charge to a certain % before it goes back to language selection.

Start the process over again. It should go through this time.

MrMax99

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the same exact problem as you PhilWitt. I tried hard resetting the watch a few times. It still connects to my old android phone fine. Microsoft support also told me that it was a known bug in the Microsoft Health app that Microsoft is working on, but I couldn't get a firm ETA for when it would be fixed. I hope it is fixed soon.

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Look at my last post before this one, I was having the same issues as you guys with it giving an error every time when pairing, but I finally got it to work. Here are the steps I did, remove from Bluetooth settings as a paired device, remove from health app. Once this is done hard reset the band with the action and power buttons for 10 seconds till you see flashing red screen. Go through prompts on band till you get to pair now option, but wait don't hit it yet, open health app on phone and add a band. When you see the name of the band come up literally select it on phone AND hit pair now on the band at the same time. Sounds crazy but this is what worked for me.

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks metsfan421 for the comment but unfortunately it looks like there are two different problems that most people are experiencing. The one you had was a pairing issue "band error" that can eventually be resolved with some persistence. Then you have the getting things ready... error 'oops' that I've yet see anyone solve or get past so far.
I don't know anything about anything but my gut is telling me this is either a 'cloud' setting that we've stumbled into or an actual Windows 10 mobile MS Health App bug/issue that we can't get past.
I'm resigned to just waiting for someone to fix it or come up with a new set of things to try. I spent a few hours trying different combinations with the PC sync app, my android app and my windows mobile app to no avail.

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same exact problem as you PhilWitt. I tried hard resetting the watch a few times. It still connects to my old android phone fine. Microsoft support also told me that it was a known bug in the Microsoft Health app that Microsoft is working on, but I couldn't get a firm ETA for when it would be fixed. I hope it is fixed soon.

Here are the steps I followed to get mine to finally work:

Just got it to work.
In my situation where I could always pair my Band 2 to my Nexus 6 without fail I followed these steps to get my Band 2 to finally work with my Lumia 950XL.
1) Start Add Band process on my Nexus 6. On my Band 2 I selected Windows Phone instead of Android (Not sure this is needed but it seemed logical to me).
2) Finish successfully adding the Band to my Nexus 6 and turned off Bluetooth on my Nexus 6.
3) On my Lumia 950XL I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Health App and I had the My Microsoft Band option but when hitting it you can't actually see the Band 2 information.
4) On my Band 2 I went to settings and Bluetooth and turned it off, turned it to 'pairing' and it asks if I'm pairing to iPhone and I said no. Waited for pair between 950XL and Band 2. After successful pairing I went into MS Health App and I am able to use everything just like on my Android but now with the added ability to use Cortana.
I'm thrilled, and hope this works/helps for anyone else in the same situation.
-Phil

Rezzee

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Here are the steps I followed to get mine to finally work:

Just got it to work.
In my situation where I could always pair my Band 2 to my Nexus 6 without fail I followed these steps to get my Band 2 to finally work with my Lumia 950XL.
1) Start Add Band process on my Nexus 6. On my Band 2 I selected Windows Phone instead of Android (Not sure this is needed but it seemed logical to me).
2) Finish successfully adding the Band to my Nexus 6 and turned off Bluetooth on my Nexus 6.
3) On my Lumia 950XL I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Health App and I had the My Microsoft Band option but when hitting it you can't actually see the Band 2 information.
4) On my Band 2 I went to settings and Bluetooth and turned it off, turned it to 'pairing' and it asks if I'm pairing to iPhone and I said no. Waited for pair between 950XL and Band 2. After successful pairing I went into MS Health App and I am able to use everything just like on my Android but now with the added ability to use Cortana.
I'm thrilled, and hope this works/helps for anyone else in the same situation.
-Phil

Good to see you got it resolved, despite the frustration. Thanks for posting your fix!

MrMax99

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Great idea PhilWitt, thanks for the suggestion!

I got my Lumia 950 XL paired to my Band 2 now following your steps, but it seems like there's some issue with sending information from my band to my phone. For example, I can't reply to texts with the keyboard and I can't ask Cortana anything, it just stays on "connecting" or asks me to make sure i'm close enough for bluetooth and my phone is on. I can now get email, text, call notifications and calendar info and it seems things like step count transfer correctly to my phone (hopefully it still automatically periodically syncs).

Anyone have any idea what trick might get my cortana and text replying working?

---EDIT---

I rebooted my watch and phone a couple times and turned on and off bluetooth on both a couple times and eventually one of the times everything got fixed. I can now use cortana and the keyboard!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo