Is the Starbucks app any better?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I found the awful scanners rarely read the original Microsoft Band bar code. I've seen people with 5" phones have to wait for the scanner to pick up the code so I don't entirely blame the Band.

I'm wondering if the bigger screen helps out with Starbucks. I gave up on using the original Band with Starbucks. People first think it's so cool. And then I'm moving my arm under the scanner like 5 times and it gets embarassing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on your Band? I had issues with scanners at Starbucks and at other stores when I had a certain screen protector on my 2013 Moto X. Using a different screen protector solved the issue.

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Seeing how easy the original Band scratches, I don't know if I want to remove the screen protector.

I'm surprised no one with the Band 2 has tested the app.

I tried the app on my Band 2 and the person couldn't get it to scan. I don't even have a screen protector.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Never had an issue scanning on Band 1 or 2 and on the first try.

I usally take it off my wrist and move the band vertically from top to bottom of the scanner. Scans it right away.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I used Band 1 with the Zagg screen protector, using the Band 2 without any protector. I use the tile every day, the only problems I've had have occurred when I've been at the drive-through, and the sun is making it hard for the scanner to detect the bars. But this isn't unique to the band, any bar code in full sun will have problems. So to answer the OP, it has been working fine.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Never had an issue scanning on Band 1 or 2 and on the first try.

I usally take it off my wrist and move the band vertically from top to bottom of the scanner. Scans it right away.

Thanks for the advice. So to be clear, you hold the band horizontally but you move it vertically from top to bottom to get it to scan.

I'll give it a shot. I thought the bigger size of the screen might help the Band 2 scan better than the Band 1.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Depending on which starbucks I go to it scans right away. At others it takes a bit of effort. Not sure if it is the scanner or the band. It seems as if band 1 was a bit better at scanning than band 2....jury is still out. I use it almost daily. My main SB it works great (the bigger square scanner). The other SB I frequent (drive thru) uses a hand scanner which is temperamental but mostly works quickly.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I have used both the Band 1 about 20 times and the Band 2 3 times. I have always had it read. My Band 1 had a screen protector but the Band 2 doesn't. They need to have the square window laser scanner and hold it steady. Waving it around makes it harder to read.

Last edited:

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. So to be clear, you hold the band horizontally but you move it vertically from top to bottom to get it to scan.

I'll give it a shot. I thought the bigger size of the screen might help the Band 2 scan better than the Band 1.

That's right. Sometimes, you may need to rotate your wrist to keep it at the same angle as the scanner, but never had any problems. Don't let the employees move the scanner to scan the barcode, that makes it more complicated.

Also, when you take off the Band, you will inevitably get the question... "Is that an iWatch?" Then you can tell them all about the benefits of owning a Band over an iWatch!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos