GPS not working

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Went on my first run today with the new Band 2, and sadly I have to report that my GPS did not find a fix in the 51minutes I ran ;(
Same sh*t that happened to me with the Band 1 continously. Worked 1 time than not the 2nd time... countless factory resets

Anyone else had that problem before? Do I have to factory reset it again?

kds

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem last night. The other two runs I've done since I started using my Band 2 the GPS worked fine. Last night, after I updated the Band firmware, I started having GPS issues. After about 15 minutes of waiting, I rebooted the device, then tried again. Waited some more. Finally gave up and just started running while it was trying to get a GPS lock. Then it got a lock about a tenth of a mile in. I hope this isn't a trend.

dj_ricks

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Do your bands work with GPS now? I just got one a few days ago on build 2.0.4117.0 26R and can't get the GPS to work? Everything else seems fine apart from intermittant Cortana voice working to the phone but thats another issue! Any info would be great

Cheers
Duncan

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Did you wait for a lock before you started the run? I have never (whether Band 1 or Band 2) been able to achieve a GPS lock if I start running (or walking, or cycling) before it gets a lock. I think its a mistake for them to suggest going ahead and starting before it locks. Mine typically gets a lock in about 30 seconds, but I'm out in the country where there are no tall buildings to interfere.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree...on the two occasions that I have selected to go ahead with my run, while the Band 2 is trying to obtain GPS lock, then shortly after I start running, it will proudly proclaim a GPS lock but after syncing the run to MS Health, there is no GPS map/data displayed.
SImilar to Nate, my Band also obtains GPS lock quite quickly, however, without fail it usually struggles (5 - 10 minutes) to obtain a lock when I go for a run in Ushuaia or Punta Arenas. Other than those two locales, everywhere else is good to go.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
After the firmware update last week, my first run had trouble getting a quick lock. Even after power cycling the Band, which usually resolves that problem, I still waiting a couple minutes without the GPS getting a lock. Finally, I decided to start my run and allow it to keep searching.

I was less than 2 blocks from my house when the GPS successfully locked. This is actually the first GPS locking issue I've had since replacing my original Band with Band 2 about three months ago.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
After the firmware update last week, my first run had trouble getting a quick lock. Even after power cycling the Band, which usually resolves that problem, I still waiting a couple minutes without the GPS getting a lock. Finally, I decided to start my run and allow it to keep searching.

I was less than 2 blocks from my house when the GPS successfully locked. This is actually the first GPS locking issue I've had since replacing my original Band with Band 2 about three months ago.

Hi poit57,

In the most recent update we made some changes in the GPS driver to fix an issue some users were encountering. As a side effect of this fix, the first lock after the update takes longer.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When I bike, I never wait for it to lock before I start. I always push the action button and go. It usually never takes longer than 20 seconds for it to lock on to GPS.

dj_ricks

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback people, mine seems to be working ok now, like Devbent says maybe it was just this first lock. However I'll got for my first proper run since trying last week tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on

jayrthomas

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Just to follow-up on this, how long should it take to connect with GPS once the firmware update has completed? I haven't been able to connect at all. I spent over 30 minutes searching for GPS today before giving up.

dj_ricks

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi just been on a run, first time it took 4-5 minutes to get a lock I just walked around at lunch waiting for it to connect but didn't run. Now its done it this first time after the firmware update I would say it just took about 30 to 40 secs to get a lock, and its got a lock about 4-5 times now in this quicker time frame so I believe its working fine now

defaguim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my band 2 in April, used it for about a month and it worked perfectly, GPS locked in less than 20 seconds and it mapped my runs very accurately. It went so up to may 4th, that was the last time it worked. It now takes over 5 minutes to get a lock, I always wait for it to say GPS locked before starting my runs, even though it says it locked, after the run if I check it either on app or the web dash board I see a message "
Enable GPS on your Band to record a map of your run"
tried powercycling and factory resetting the band, nothing worked. Also because it is trying to guess my steps it is now very far from accurate, about 20% error on distance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720