Band 2 power problem update

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Just got off the phone with the folks at Microsoft Band support. Wanted to make them (more) aware of the Band 2 "thinks the battery is dead" problem. They said they were aware of the problem and that it's being worked on. I'm on my second B2 because of this problem and I'm not alone.

Maybe if a few (many) more B2 owners call, this issue will get a priority boost to get fixed. Maybe.

Here's the number I called (in the US) : 425-635-2970

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine just did that too. Shut down unexpectedly and when I connected the charger it showed 70% charge. I might try a hard reset to see if it helps.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. Band died with plenty of power. Replaced it. Occurred again. Will see if update fixes...

Last week's update does NOT fix the problem. Some are saying it's a problem with the clasp mechanism. I dunno but I do know MSFT is aware of the problem. If it is the clasp, then our friends in Redmond have one hell of a job facing them in terms of getting the fix out to the masses.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Clasp? I wonder how the clasp could affect that? Although..... you don't suppose they'd be dumb enough to expose raw power on those charging contacts and they're getting shorted out?? You might try putting something over the contracts or the surface they would touch and see if that resolves the problem.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Clasp? I wonder how the clasp could affect that? Although..... you don't suppose they'd be dumb enough to expose raw power on those charging contacts and they're getting shorted out?? You might try putting something over the contracts or the surface they would touch and see if that resolves the problem.

Well the clasp is where the battery is and there are 5 gold contacts on it that the magnetic charger cable snaps in to. That means there's a cable in there that routes power to the display/guts of the rest of the B2. Maybe if the clasp gets "jiggled" in a certain way, it causes the problem. I don't know. But I trust someone at MSFT does by now and a fix is being worked on.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
If devbent is reading this -- any comments / updates on this issue? Seems to be affecting many B2 owners.

And thanks for checkin' in here.

paescebu

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey all, I just registered here to make my statement.
My Band 2 is affected as well and following the support forum of the band 2 page, many others are as well.
It really seems to be the clasp mechanism pulling off that issue, and if it is true, than MS is in big trouble, since a design or HW failure is so expensive to fix. Additionally, this would really damage their image (again :unhappy:) .

I have a big list of links to forums with threads of people having this exact issue (but since im newbie here im not allowed to post links)

I tipped windowscentral to write an article about that (since wmpoweruser refuses to write one [fanboys much :evil:]) in hope to push MS a little with their research and solution finding.

short the issue looks as followed:
1. Band turns off /screen turns black
2. Can only be turned on when plugged into the charger
3. After plugin the band displays an error message: battery ran out, please enter date and time
(even though battery was full)
4. After a few minutes it turns off again..making it totally unusable
(but only with a closed clasp)

Last edited:

paescebu

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
ok, yesterday I received the replacement band 2 and guess what, same issue again (but I needed a little more force to trigger this effect, had to use the clasp more violently), this one is going back to MS again..keep in mind..this is a brand new band 2..i just cant believe that..

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Just got another email from the Band support folks. MSFT is fully aware of the problem and it is being worked on. No ETA for the fix.
IMO, if it's H/W (and it looks like it is) that will be much harder to handle than pushing out a S/W or F/W fix. We'll see.

mightybrick

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Just chiming in to say I'm having this same problem with my Band 2 purchased 3 days ago, and to subscribe to the thread for updates. I'd done a little searching before purchase, but hadn't come across this. Bummer that I'll probably have to return it. Can't get much use out of a device that won't stay on. :(

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Just happened to me last night. Support call states same thing and that I needed a replacement. They refuse to comment on whether this is hw or sw issue or both. like others, I believe due to their silence and providing no details it is likely hw. I have passed the 30 day refund period so looks like I may get a new band every 4+ weeks for the next 2 years or until they finally figure this out.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Ran down to local MS store and they replaced my B2 with no hassles. Even gave me a new Zagg screen protector. Will see how long this one lasts. Hopefully until the permanent solution is available. Glad MS made the exchange process hassle free.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Got another email from the MSFT support folks. They wanted to close my B2 problem case because it is in the hands of those responsible. I asked to keep it open so I could get occasional updates. They said OK. Now that the holiday season is winding down, maybe we'll see a solution soon. Maybe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99