Downhill Skiing

leverda

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm a new user of Band 2. Going on a ski trip out west next week, and wondering if anyone has experience with using the Band 2 (or Band 1) with skiing. What data can it track? Any idea if calories burned count is accurate? Should I set it on general exercise or use run or cycle setting? Any other thoughts or advice?

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried Band2 for skiing, but I did some half a dozen of days on snow with Band1 last winter. I always set the Band to run mode. It tracks the speed, duration, altitude, heart rate and calories as well as distance. It doesn't compensate for the lifts or queueing, but you will see this pretty easily from the data afterwards.

I have also used the Band for ski mountaineering in run mode and it works ok.

Keep in mind that the battery life can be less than what you would wish when the GPS is on. So make sure that it's fully charged when you hit the mountain and preferably keep the screen off when you use it.

NeoDerGrosse

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that the calories are nearly accurate since downhill skiing is totally different from the other sports. Especially the lifts would add some fake calories. It should be possible for Microsoft to make a special mode for skiing but until there is non the results would be really random.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That\s true. As we don't know what kind of a secret sauce MSFT uses for any of the exercise modes on the Band to measure the caloric burn, it's impossible to know which of the two GPS assisted modes, run or cycle, is better for skiing. However, I would think that the most accurate is the run mode, at least when you combine that with ski touring - and probably the key to the caloric measurement is the heart rate.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Especially the lifts would add some fake calories.
In my experience since purchasing the original Band in March, there doesn't seem to be any difference in how the Band calculates calorie burn in different modes. It seems to be estimated based on heart rate, not activity selected or motion detected.

I ran a test comparing sitting idly at my desk at work with the Band in normal operation versus using the exercise tile. Both resulted in a very similar calorie burn for the hour. Ideally, the exercise mode would give a more accurate estimate while continuously tracking the heart rate, but that would depend on if the heart rate monitor is accurate and if the heart rate monitor retained a lock for the duration of the activity. I see no evidence that a different algorithm is used to estimate the caloric burn among the exercise, running, or cycling tiles compared with the 1 minutes every 10 minutes tracking in normal mode.

GlennBarnett

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Alpine skiing, or downhill skiing, is the sport or recreation of sliding down snow-covered hills on skis with fixed-heel bindings. Downhill skiing, ski race for speed on an adjusted downhill course that is marked by gates formed by paired poles, through which the racer must pass. Contestants should view hotel falls creek for at least one timed practice run, then compete singly in an order set by previous performance and starting at one-minute intervals. The downhill probably demands the most courage of all Alpine events.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb