Step count from phone to Band 2

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
My phone says I have taken 9000+ steps however my band says it's only 6000+
My assumption was that phone and the band communicate with each other and band fills the gap using phone step count??
I am using Samsung note 4.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-29-15-33-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-15-33-58.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 18

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Phone screen shot

Attachments

• 2015-12-29 15.35.56.jpg
    2015-12-29 15.35.56.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi indiW,

The Microsoft Health app can use steps from your phone, to enable this go to the Health app and in the side menu select My Phone. You can then enable Motion settings.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My assumption was that phone and the band communicate with each other and band fills the gap using phone step count??
My assumption is that they phone fills in the gaps from the band with it's own data. But the Band is not updated with the total. The Band remains with only what it counted.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi indiW,

The Microsoft Health app can use steps from your phone, to enable this go to the Health app and in the side menu select My Phone. You can then enable Motion settings.

Hey devbent. Thanks for chiming in.

Certainly it doesn't double count, does it? And assuming not, how does it avoid double counting steps from phone v from Band.

Is it not odd that the OP had such a huge difference, 9,000 v 6,000? And if not, what do think might be going there ?

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply and it's a privilege to have someone from the development team. In fact in my opinion there should be few other guys representing other segments of the development team here too as this is the best way to improve this cool device.
Answer to your question, Yes I have enabled this, I did it on the very first of getting the device.
Only defence for the band in this instance is, I accumulated those steps during a Xmas party, pumped up with alcohol I was on the dance floor and phone was in my pocket and band was on the wrist.
I am almost sure that particular function is not working (at least in my band) because I have seen this kind of big gaps before.
Again, thanks for the reply.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I just double checked, it is definitely on

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-30-06-21-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-30-06-21-04.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 14

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
According to the verbiage I read in the app some time ago - the phone is only supposed to fill in when the Band doesn't. But I never learned the criteria of when the Band is and isn't in play. I assume the idea is to track steps while the Band is off being recharged.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply and it's a privilege to have someone from the development team. In fact in my opinion there should be few other guys representing other segments of the development team here too as this is the best way to improve this cool device.

Depending on the forum we have varying levels of coverage. Right now I'm the only one on Windows Central. :)

Answer to your question, Yes I have enabled this, I did it on the very first of getting the device.
Only defence for the band in this instance is, I accumulated those steps during a Xmas party, pumped up with alcohol I was on the dance floor and phone was in my pocket and band was on the wrist.
I am almost sure that particular function is not working (at least in my band) because I have seen this kind of big gaps before.
Again, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the phone dev team is out on holiday right now, and my team is responsible solely for the UI on the band, so I cannot give you a good answer as to how one wins out over the other. I do know that if the band is not being worn and the phone is being walked around with that that we switch over to using the phone (not applicable to your case), but I do not know what the full set of rules are.

Ultimately the goal of this feature is to give you credit for everything that you do. Aside from a shoe based step counter (and assuming you don't tap your feet!), no one device is going to be perfect for all scenarios, and having worked on this for three years I know how to trick every device on the market!

Using sensors mounted in two different physical locations we can get you better results than just one location, thus the support for using your phone's step data.

No real good answer here, sorry. I'll re-ask the phone team when they come back what their logic is so next time this comes up I'll have a better response. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven