Band 2 band cracked/split

FrequencyCPM

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a Large Band 2 that I wear every day. After 8 months the cracks have just now appeared. The cracks are due to stress at the point where the rubber connects to the ends of the metal display. My wrist size is in the overlap area between medium and large on Microsoft's sizing chart. I usually have the band clasped tight. No one knew if there was a difference between the sizes other than length of strap so I bought a medium and a large to compare. Besides the medium strap being shorter, the angle of the band display ends is more pronounced than on the large, so that it will fit a medium wrist better.

I was intrigued that some people have had no cracking issues at all, while others have had recurring problems. I have to wonder if the failures are due to a less than ideal fit. For me, the medium band is a little too short - I have it fully extended and it doesn't feel right. But when I wear the medium band, there isn't as much stress at the point where the crack develops. I am returning the medium band and keeping the large one. I will wear it a little more loosely so as not to stress the band at the place where the cracks develop.

Not trying to justify the failures by any means, just saying that these failures were designed in if you are forced to go up a size for a comfortable fit..

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, only had my replacement of the above Band 2 for 4 months (replacement was lot/date 1620) and here is a picture of it when I woke up today, gutted :unhappy: -

band2slpit.jpg

It couldn't be a more identical failure point than my last band 2. Will see if I can replace it, but will have to consider whether to try and sell on the replacement (assuming I'm able to get one) or if I keep it will maybe have to consider not wearing it for sleeping, which is probably where it get most movement I guess.

I do love the band 2 and ironically it's been working a lot better when I made the jump from windows phone to a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (something I didn't take lightly, I've been using MS phones since 2003 and their first HTC Canary handset) I've seen better battery life (2 days) and better notifications, even Cortana was working which was something that was hit and miss with my Lumia 930!!

Stuart Wood

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I bought band 2 from amazon in August this year. Noticed I the week the strap had cracked half way across. This was about an inch to the right of the screen. Contacted microsoft online chat. Told them the problem and in minutes I was emailed a ups label to send band 2 off to Germany. I have been told a new band will be sent free of charge and will arrive within 10 days.

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine is also now on its way to Germany via ups. I raised the return in the online chat in band support pages as the online form wouldn't work.

Brandon Patnoe

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Today I looked down at my Band 2 and noticed the band itself had a crack or split on it. Does anyone know if there is an option to replace the band at all or am I going to have to purchase a new Band 2?
I'm disappointed as I've only had the Band 2 since November 2nd and I really like it compared to my Android Wear watches I have.
Any suggestion on how to repair would be appreciated too. I was thinking super glue just to keep the damage from growing and hopefully just living with it.
I order this online through the Microsoft Store and don't have any experience dealing with them for a replacement but I'm unsure if I want to go without a Band 2 if they would make me send it in first. I wish I lived close to a store but I don't.

View attachment 119731

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've received my replacement band, this my fourth now! (first one Blutooth died, and 2 cracked bands shows earlier in this thread)

This time it is again a brand new band 2 but it was not in retail packaging (so I don't know the lot number)
Not sure whether I should change my use of the device. Was toying with the idea of not sleeping with it on, not too fussed about losing sleep data, but for me the alarm feature is a must have, so don't want to not wear it in bed for that reason.

I'll just have to be extra careful with it, but I was with the last two. :unhappy:

I guess they will soon start to run out of replacements if it happens again. Shame, it's a great device otherwise, I certainly missed it while I was without it.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I've received my replacement band, this my fourth now! (first one Blutooth died, and 2 cracked bands shows earlier in this thread)

This time it is again a brand new band 2 but it was not in retail packaging (so I don't know the lot number)
Not sure whether I should change my use of the device. Was toying with the idea of not sleeping with it on, not too fussed about losing sleep data, but for me the alarm feature is a must have, so don't want to not wear it in bed for that reason.

I'll just have to be extra careful with it, but I was with the last two. :unhappy:

I guess they will soon start to run out of replacements if it happens again. Shame, it's a great device otherwise, I certainly missed it while I was without it.

Mine cracked too. I'll replace it next time I or a friend goes back to the USA. I was happy it's an easy exchange, though I share your concern that sooner or later they'll run out. (Hopefully they've done the math and it will be one years after the last one was sold. But we'll see.)

As for careful treatment. I'd guess sleeping with it won't make that much difference.

I've hypothesized that the fragile strap is stressed most when I take it on and off. It cracked on the side with the charge connector, which I tended to hold (instead of the watch body) whenever it was off my wrist, principally because I was connecting it to the charger. So, after I replace my cracked one, and before, for that matter, I'll make sure to handle it by the watch body.

One other thing: mine still works! I didn't expect that. I thought some underlying wires or electronica would fail when it cracked. So, I just taped it. Hope it holds until I can send it in.

Tupak J

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
hey guys, i had same problem with mine after about 7 months of wearing. I am from Brazil, so i have no microsoft support near me. I could not accepted that i would lost my band 2 due to this factory problem. So I found a solution for this **** problem. I use windshield glue. It is a rubberized black glue of polyurethane, after it dries, the color is almost the same of the wristband. I am really optimist with the result. I still have to do a finishing, I will sanding a little and then post the final result.

kinaton

May 31, 2012
Visit site
This is a known fault and M$ have been nothing but helpful with sorting mine.. I did have to go to executive office after my band 1 had been replaced 3 times due to meta rusting.! Who upgraded me!

I'll update as soon as they deal with my band 2 issue. Split in same place as everyone elses.! CEO office involved along with UK trading Standards!

Stuart Wood

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I had a split band2 in November replaced under warranty. This replacement now has a failed battery. Went back to germany on Wednesday for a warranty repair or replace. Band 1 lasted 8 months. Band 2 lasted 3 months. Replacement band 2 lasted 2 months. My warranty runs out june. I asked for a refund and was told no...unless unable to repair replace.

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I can already see that my band strap is about to crack again (in the same position). Hopefully will get a refund this time as they surely are out of stock by now. Might go for Samsung gear fit 2, reluctantly being shoved away from Microsoft hardware!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET