Band 2 Keyboard Connecting and Cortana not connecting

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the exact same page as you all – Lumia 950 here.. The Cortana integration is spotty, but oddly enough the last Insider Fast build actually resolved all of my issues with the Band 2. Cortana even worked for certain tasks for a day, however I think that her consistent crashing on the 950 itself is to blame..

Has anyone else had Cortana crash nearly every time that you press+hold launch or hit 'enter' on a manual search on the Lumia 950? I may perform a hard reset and restore to backup, that way my Band 2 will be 100% functional. (for now.... *gruff*) Any others experiencing a sudden harmony with the Band 2's connectivity on the most recent Fast build?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I rarely use Cortana or keyboard to text from the Band. Every time I see one of these reports, I check to see if mine is currently working (640 XL currently running 10586.164). It doesn't always work the first time I check, but I've found that a power cycle of the phone always remedies that issue, at least temporarily.

I don't think it an issue that the feature doesn't work, but that there appears to be a particular Bluetooth connection issue that for some reason doesn't affect notifications or health synchronization.

For the record, I've had the keyboard connection issue with Windows Phone 8.1 and both the original Band and the Band 2. This issue has also spread across multiple phones including Lumia 920, 830, and the 640 XL. The solution for me has always been to power cycle the phone to restore that functionality for a while, which yes, does take away from the convenience of quickly doing a Cortana search or replying to a text message in the moment you realize you need to power cycle.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Can I add that, I am not using windows 10 and I just reported the keyboard stuck on connecting error, it appears to happen to me, when i go out of range of the phone. so its obviously a band/bluetooth issue. Same with Cortana, however I am able to fix it on my phone, by simply pulling down the notification menu, turning bluetooth off, then back on again. But it happens every day...

This is on windows 8.1 Nokia Lumia 920 MS Band 2 latest updates.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

I'm jumping into this thread quite late in the conversation, but yes, my Band 2 has just recently (in the past couple of days) stopped allowing me to use the keyboard or Cortana to respond to messages. The connection to my music is also very patchy.

I'm on a Lumia 950 running Windows 10 fast ring 14267.1004

There was also a firmware update that came through last night (16025.39016) but it's not done anything to correct the issue.

I've tried all the usual stuff...reset the Bluetooth connection, uninstall / reinstall the health app, factory reset the band, unregister the entire programme and re-register as if a new user with a brand new phone and band, etc, etc....nothing, absolutely nothing seems to work.

The weird thing is...it's not like it's permanently broken. Just occasionally it'll start working again, then it'll drop off and not work for days. Weird.

I've reported the problem through the Health app....hopefully I'm not alone and if MS get a ton of Bluetooth related complaints they'll react to it

I have just had to reset my band as it simply refused to connect anymore, i would not recieve notifications, cortana didnt work and text reply just stuck on connecting. I had to unpair the band, reset it and seems to be alright now...I should not have do this...

I mentioned previously for a few days, i was having this problem on and off every day, then it just refused to connect to bluetooth full stop...I restarted my phone, deleted the phone pairing, turned off the band, still didnt work, Band had to be hard reset...

Everything is working again, That is after 10 weeks use, god i hope I do not have to keep doing this...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good luck... I've had these problems from the day I got my 950. I did a hard reset at one point which got things working reliable for about a month and a half. Until MS updated the Health app, breaking all the smartwatch functionality. I could still update health related info, although even then syncing sometimes seemed a bit sluggish.

I will point out that the latest firmware and OS update restored that functionality. However, the Health app got an update which once again broke functionality. A simple restart took fixed that, something that has never worked in the past. Syncs seem to go much quicker now too.

That said, I'm not convinced this issue has been truly solved. I was having trouble responding to a message on the Band this morning. The keyboard came up, but it wasn't inserting words I had typed and kept switching between connecting and bringing me back to the keyboard. Cortana, at least, is still working.

em-martino

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I rolled back to 8.1 and it seems to work, only have an issue probably due to my stressing tests :)...any solution for w10?i love its "settings" layout, groove interface and foto app :((

EDIT
Issue ( keyboard "connecting") back again after a day...i'm losing my patience

Last edited:

em-martino

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Can I add that, I am not using windows 10 and I just reported the keyboard stuck on connecting error, it appears to happen to me, when i go out of range of the phone. so its obviously a band/bluetooth issue. Same with Cortana, however I am able to fix it on my phone, by simply pulling down the notification menu, turning bluetooth off, then back on again. But it happens every day...

This is on windows 8.1 Nokia Lumia 920 MS Band 2 latest updates.

Yes, me too. I just rolled back to 8.1 and keybord stucks "connecting" until I turn off/on BT on phone. Probably it 's due to new band firmware... or not??...did you find a solution?

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Not yet, im experiencing intermittent connecting issues again, having upgraded to windows 10, it works on cortana, the keyboard keeps getting stuck on connecting while typing text messages...

I am tempted to go back to 8.1 again, I am really fed up now with this issue.

I was actually thinking of dumping the band and maybe not bother again. i am beginning to feel like the purchase was the biggest mistake I have made.I feel like I just wasted ?200 on an external notification centre, really...the most basic aspect of the band and I have to keep resetting it.

On Windows 8.1 it worked, till it stopped working then it reset, now with windows 10, it bugs out at random intervals, generally when I am typing a text reply...

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
FYI..I've been having the same issues with the keyboard and Cortana not connecting since build .164. I finally decided to wipe the phone and start again. The Band seems to working better now (no connection issues yet) although it's only been a day. Overall, my 920 is running a lot better so I'm glad I did the wipe.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i'm just gonna lay it down cause i've researched this issue to death.

Apparently MS say it's an issue from a different thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...e-bluetooth-your-phone-close.html#post3344513)
It seems like it affects more older devices running on win10 than the 950s that have win10 though the 950s seem to have the issue as well.
It''s affecting heaps of people and apart from above forum post MS hasn't said anything else about it.
The issue is after restarting your phone or re-starting band or re-pairing or re-syncing to health app or restarting bluetooth your band connects fine to the phone and you may be able to use cortana or use the keyboard. then after a period of time ranging from an hour or 2 to a day or 2 when you try using the keyboard it just says connecting and you can't use it, or if you try using cortana it says you might be too far from your phone.
When a new build comes out for win10 or the band, sometimes it seems the connection is better but it's just a placebo cause soon enough it dies again.

this is not a problem with windows 8.1. i've tested this on a 630 and 930 both running windows 10 and windows 8.1. With windows 10 the issue happens within a day. i had windows 8.1 running on both devices connected to my band 2 for over 2 weeks and it was flawless!

the issue is windows 10 mobile bluetooth is screwed. and it's a big slap in the face when MS tweets something like this:

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the latest preview build. Did a hard reset, and got the update from a couple days ago. Seems solid so far. Lets hope it stays like that.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the latest preview build. Did a hard reset... Cortana will NOT respond to band 2 and has not done so since January :?( every thing else is fine - I blame 950xl sux :?(
I have access to 2x bands and 2x lumia950xl same thing

Will I ever get past ... Listening ... Thinking ... Just a sec....30 secs later... <buzz buzz buzz> Haha got you wasted your time again :?)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss