Returning Band 2? Why?

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I returned by band 2 after 10 days with it. I found it really uncomfortable to wear. I wore it on my right wrist (where I have never worn anything before) and that may be the reason I found it so uncomfortable. It wasn't as bad when wearing it on my left wrist, but I didn't want to use it that way as I wear nice watches, and I am not replacing them any time soon. I'll give it a pass on that as it could be a "it's just me" kind of situation.

I had the latest firmware and Cortana and text messages didn't work for me. It wasn't that big of a deal to me as I am still on W8.1 with my L920 and I bought it as a fitness band, not a smart watch anyway, but I won't say no to added convenient features.

However, I didn't find the step counter accurate and it wouldn't record floors climbed all the time. Driving up the freeway will make it record a floor climb. Odd! Very disappointed with its accuracy, which at the end you wonder what's the point. Battery life seemed to gotten slightly worse over time instead of the opposite. Going back to my Fitbit ONE. Too bad because i like all the built in functionalities, UV, reminders, seemed to have a better sleep data than fitbit, etc. However, I found the combination of my Fitbit One during non-exercise, and Endomondo app Plus chest Strap during exercise as the best combination.

For microsoft, what will get me to consider the band again:
- A slimmer and less bulky design, more flexible rubber band which should make it more comfortable to wear 24/7.
- Better Battery life
- Accurate trackers ( this is a must for the very reason this is why you are buying the band to begin with).

Maybe band 3 will win my heart? I think Microsoft hit the sweet spot hardware/software feature wise, so IMO, it only needs to improve design and performance.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Sooooooooooooooooooo you do know FitBit is under a class action lawsuit for inaccurate health tracking on their devices?

Not defending Microsoft necessarily as I am making a general point that any wearable is not going to be "accurate" per se.

I did a 100 physical step around the office and it recorded 93. So yeah it was off a little but I can live with that as my last counter would give me 110.

What do you consider good battery life? I'm getting 48 hours on my band 2 (unless I turn on GPS) which seems good to me.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I really love the Band 2. A nice improvement over Band 1 (which I still like). The only negatives for Band 2 has been the worse battery life (I'm averaging a day and a half versus a solid 2 days with Band 1) and how the curved screen is so much more reflective than Band 1 and almost impossible to read in sunlight (talking about watch mode, not when the screen is on).

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I returned by band 2 after 10 days with it. I found it really uncomfortable to wear. I wore it on my right wrist (where I have never worn anything before) and that may be the reason I found it so uncomfortable. It wasn't as bad when wearing it on my left wrist, but I didn't want to use it that way as I wear nice watches, and I am not replacing them any time soon. I'll give it a pass on that as it could be a "it's just me" kind of situation.

I had the latest firmware and Cortana and text messages didn't work for me. It wasn't that big of a deal to me as I am still on W8.1 with my L920 and I bought it as a fitness band, not a smart watch anyway, but I won't say no to added convenient features.

However, I didn't find the step counter accurate and it wouldn't record floors climbed all the time. Driving up the freeway will make it record a floor climb. Odd! Very disappointed with its accuracy, which at the end you wonder what's the point. Battery life seemed to gotten slightly worse over time instead of the opposite. Going back to my Fitbit ONE. Too bad because i like all the built in functionalities, UV, reminders, seemed to have a better sleep data than fitbit, etc. However, I found the combination of my Fitbit One during non-exercise, and Endomondo app Plus chest Strap during exercise as the best combination.

For microsoft, what will get me to consider the band again:
- A slimmer and less bulky design, more flexible rubber band which should make it more comfortable to wear 24/7.
- Better Battery life
- Accurate trackers ( this is a must for the very reason this is why you are buying the band to begin with).

Maybe band 3 will win my heart? I think Microsoft hit the sweet spot hardware/software feature wise, so IMO, it only needs to improve design and performance.

If you want an accurate step count you need something that attaches to your shoe. Anything on the risk will not be 100% accurate.

If you want an accurate HR you need a chest strap that monitors the electrical signals that are generated when your heart beats.

This and any other wrist device at best will give you a general idea of what's going on. Considering all the device does, I'm ok with it not being 100% accurate. But worse you compare it with FitBit, even though you have no idea if its more or less accurate than the Band. Maybe you should have been more realistic with your expectations.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I mentioned Steps and Floors climbed accuracy. My Fitbit One is spot on on both. Band 2 wasn't. So I do have an idea that is more accurate than the Band. I don't know when it comes to calories and sleep, which are the other 2 things the Fitbit One does that I can't really measure to compare.

Steps accuracy didn't bother me as much as there is a premise that this is something deliberately done in the band 2 to not count really short trips as steps taken as it wouldn't really be relevant as you being active. I'll give it a pass because it makes some sense.

As far as floors climbed, there is no excuse, and that really bothered me. Not counting the floors I have actually climbed, and counting changes in altitude as floors climbed. (ex. driving from the street up into the highway).

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned Steps and Floors climbed accuracy. My Fitbit One is spot on on both. Band 2 wasn't. So I do have an idea that is more accurate than the Band. I don't know when it comes to calories and sleep, which are the other 2 things the Fitbit One does that I can't really measure to compare.

Steps accuracy didn't bother me as much as there is a premise that this is something deliberately done in the band 2 to not count really short trips as steps taken as it wouldn't really be relevant as you being active. I'll give it a pass because it makes some sense.

As far as floors climbed, there is no excuse, and that really bothered me. Not counting the floors I have actually climbed, and counting changes in altitude as floors climbed. (ex. driving from the street up into the highway).

I'm not returning my Band 2 as I still like it.

With regards to the step count and floor count I really agree with you. The Band 2 is not accurate at all. I am waiting to see what Microsoft do about it as I have a case open with Microsoft Band Support in Europe.

Regards

Infinidim

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I am not hitting the panic button yet, but I am not far from it either.

Step count is so poor, unless I wagg my left hand (Band hand) like no tomorrow only then it will count the steps. Then the problem is... passing by people stare at me,

My band randomly delete my hard earned steps

It's not rewarding me for burning more calories. Coz it's stuck at 799.. No matter how many calories I burnt the trophy remains at 799.

It cannot cope/not recognising changing speeds when I am on treadmill

These are my major concerns, all other little things, such as having to charge it every day.. I can live with them.

I paid ?200.00, for that I expect it to deliver at least 50% of what MS promised on the list of its facilities.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Played 2.5 hours of tennis last night which consisted of a 50/50 mix of singles followed with doubles.

I started the general exercise monitor and it gave me:
1588 calories burned
~12500 steps
Average HR 144

Does not seem like anything too far fetched.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes