I was debating about picking a used Band 1 from ebay for around $50 or so. I wanted to know if those that own it feel that it is still worth a purchase and offers enough value. I wonder if it still gets support from MS even though the 2 is out now.
    Any thoughts?
    01-11-2016 09:40 PM
    I think so.

I'm enjoying my Band 1. Just got in early October 2015 as Band 2 was being announced. I get great use from mine.
    01-11-2016 10:05 PM
    I'd buy it again, especially at 50 dollars. I feel its more sturdy, version 1, that version 2. When you have the 2 side by side, you can feel the difference
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-12-2016 09:46 AM
    At $50 brand new, the original Band would be a steal provided you bought it with the understanding of its clunky look and feel.

I'd be wary about buying a used original Band. You want the 1-year warranty clock to start ticking when you buy it. Remember it is first gen device.
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    01-12-2016 12:54 PM
    At $50 brand new, the original Band would be a steal provided you bought it with the understanding of its clunky look and feel.

I'd be wary about buying a used original Band. You want the 1-year warranty clock to start ticking when you buy it. Remember it is first gen device.
    Yeah. I'd love to get it new for $50 but I haven't seen it even close to that. They still run in $130 and up. I figured it would be good enough for a used.
    01-13-2016 12:54 AM
    I was debating about picking a used Band 1 from ebay for around $50 or so. I wanted to know if those that own it feel that it is still worth a purchase and offers enough value. I wonder if it still gets support from MS even though the 2 is out now.
    Any thoughts?
    Do you have a smartwatch/wearable now? Or in the past?

It might depend on what you would use in a wearable device. But I have had the Band 1 for about 9 months and have been very happy with it. I use it mainly for phone, txt, calandar, and sleep functions. Works great with Win 8.1 on my Icon, so so on my other Icon with Win10, and great with my Nexus 6 (current device). Though using Cotrana with a android phone is not a usable function ...the band 1 works extremely well with regards to keeping connection to my phone compared to my Icon. The nexus 6 has a newer bluetooth version....or a better bluetooth radio I am assuming.

Battery life is key for me, I would not accept any watch type wearable with less battery life than the band 1.....about 2.5 days with my use.

I have been toying with trying a Asus zenwatch 2 or getting a back up band 1. But my band 1 has not yet broke .......I keep waiting for that moment when the clasp or strap break............but knocking on wood still ...........

I see you can probably get a new band sealed on the bay for maybe $90-$120 on average now. Worth it for sure compared to the competition I think. And with some of the complaints of the band 2.......not sure I would want to upgrade for such a big cost right now.
    jpharwood likes this.
    01-14-2016 11:24 AM
    Do you have a smartwatch/wearable now? Or in the past?

It might depend on what you would use in a wearable device. But I have had the Band 1 for about 9 months and have been very happy with it. I use it mainly for phone, txt, calandar, and sleep functions. Works great with Win 8.1 on my Icon, so so on my other Icon with Win10, and great with my Nexus 6 (current device). Though using Cotrana with a android phone is not a usable function ...the band 1 works extremely well with regards to keeping connection to my phone compared to my Icon. The nexus 6 has a newer bluetooth version....or a better bluetooth radio I am assuming.

Battery life is key for me, I would not accept any watch type wearable with less battery life than the band 1.....about 2.5 days with my use.

I have been toying with trying a Asus zenwatch 2 or getting a back up band 1. But my band 1 has not yet broke .......I keep waiting for that moment when the clasp or strap break............but knocking on wood still ...........

I see you can probably get a new band sealed on the bay for maybe $90-$120 on average now. Worth it for sure compared to the competition I think. And with some of the complaints of the band 2.......not sure I would want to upgrade for such a big cost right now.
    $120 would be pushing it. Remember original Band is more than a year old and it is first gen with all the baggage that entails.

There have been some very good fitness wearables at or near that price point that have been introduced recently which would be more compelling buys.
    01-14-2016 01:25 PM
    $120 would be pushing it. Remember original Band is more than a year old and it is first gen with all the baggage that entails.

There have been some very good fitness wearables at or near that price point that have been introduced recently which would be more compelling buys.
    That is why it depends on how you would use the band 1 or any wearable. Band does so much more than the average fitness band does......its totally an in between watch and fitness product that does both pretty darn well.

That said, so its a year old.....there is also some baggage with the new band 2.....less battery life...other minor problems glitches. So the Band 2 is not tons better than Band 1.

Technology is sort of topped off in the past year or so. Its all about what the hardware can do with current software.....and using a Band 1 still ......does not feel like it is old or not functioning up to par. I was going to update to the Band 2.....but there were just not enough improvements over the gen 1. And now that Band 2 has been out for a bit and as we see all the reports and opinions of those that have used both 1 and 2.......there is a huge price to pay for upgrading with little gained.

So, if you just need a fitness device....there are lots to compare with in the $100 range. If you want a smartwatch with some fitness functions or other functions not found on most smart watches....then the Band 1 is still a good deal I think.

It's funny how some thing that after 1 year of a device being released....it has fully depreciated in usefulness because a new version is out. Then some complain that their 4 year old phone cant get current OS updates......you can please everyone huh.
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    01-15-2016 11:51 AM
    Part of the reason is to have the smart watch functionality and the fitness all in one.
    So far no joy. The used are going for about $65 and up. I'll keep an eye open and see if I can snag one. I don't want to go over $50.
    01-17-2016 03:21 AM
    Part of the reason is to have the smart watch functionality and the fitness all in one.
    So far no joy. The used are going for about $65 and up. I'll keep an eye open and see if I can snag one. I don't want to go over $50.
    One of my fellow Ambassadors found a used Band 1 in nice condition on craigslist for $25.

Then, shortly after, he was gifted a Band 2 for Christmas.

He may just be a lucky SOB... YMMV.
    01-17-2016 12:04 PM
    That is why it depends on how you would use the band 1 or any wearable. Band does so much more than the average fitness band does......its totally an in between watch and fitness product that does both pretty darn well.

That said, so its a year old.....there is also some baggage with the new band 2.....less battery life...other minor problems glitches. So the Band 2 is not tons better than Band 1.

Technology is sort of topped off in the past year or so. Its all about what the hardware can do with current software.....and using a Band 1 still ......does not feel like it is old or not functioning up to par. I was going to update to the Band 2.....but there were just not enough improvements over the gen 1. And now that Band 2 has been out for a bit and as we see all the reports and opinions of those that have used both 1 and 2.......there is a huge price to pay for upgrading with little gained.

So, if you just need a fitness device....there are lots to compare with in the $100 range. If you want a smartwatch with some fitness functions or other functions not found on most smart watches....then the Band 1 is still a good deal I think.

It's funny how some thing that after 1 year of a device being released....it has fully depreciated in usefulness because a new version is out. Then some complain that their 4 year old phone cant get current OS updates......you can please everyone huh.
    Most of the cheap to moderately priced casual fitness bands out there today aren't built to last. If you are looking for fitness bands that last more than a year, or two years if you're lucky, you have to pay a lot more.
    01-17-2016 12:22 PM
    One of my fellow Ambassadors found a used Band 1 in nice condition on craigslist for $25.

Then, shortly after, he was gifted a Band 2 for Christmas.

He may just be a lucky SOB... YMMV.
    Ask him if he wants to get rid of his 1. I'll pay up to $50 for good condition.
    01-17-2016 06:54 PM
    He passed it along to someone already... Sorry.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-17-2016 08:53 PM
    Gave the Band 1 to my wife. It was a nice upgrade from her fitbit. She loves the Band 1. I liked it too while I had it. You could tell that the quality of the material on the band 1 doesn't stand up very well to sweat. But if you're one who doesn't sweat often, and takes care of your tech, the Band 1 at less than $80 is a steal.
    xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
    01-18-2016 12:34 PM
    I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new Band 1 for 32 when O2 had them on a clearance offer in December and would say it's still a fantastic device, and an absolute bargain for the price I paid for it.

I use it regularly when I'm running, alongside my normal running watch and it's pretty much spot on with the distance. I must admit mine is quite scratched up already, and had I bought it when it was 170 and it was in this state I would be quite disappointed, but as it cost me a fraction of that price I'm not too concerned. As it's something that is worn every day I wouldn't expect it to look in mint condition, but in hindsight it might have been a good idea to put a screen protector on it.

But if you can get one at a decent price it is still a fantastic piece of kit that does almost everything Band 2 does and just as well, it just doesn't look or fit quite as nice, but if that doesn't bother you then grab one if you can, I don't think you'll regret it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-19-2016 11:27 AM
    So I finally was able to get one under $50. It should be a week or so until I get it.
    I was wondering if anyone here has the band 1 and is running Windows 10 on the phone? Curious if it works well. I'm still on 8.1 but was curious about upgrading.
    02-11-2016 05:44 PM
    So I finally was able to get one under $50. It should be a week or so until I get it.
    I was wondering if anyone here has the band 1 and is running Windows 10 on the phone? Curious if it works well. I'm still on 8.1 but was curious about upgrading.
    I have a Band 1, since Apr '15 (but got a replacement in Sep '15) and it ran flawlessly on WP8.1. 2.5 weeks ago, I got a 950 DS (currently running Build .29). During the first week, the only change that I noticed was the notifications icon on the Band updated, to match WM10's notification icon, and was quite happy with the seamless transition in functionality. On the second week, I stopped getting consistent notifications. I still got SMS/MMS and Call notifications, but the other notifications stopped. I tried rebooting the phone, rebooting the band, soft rebooting the phone, decoupling the band, etc. Nothing seemed to get it to work consistently again. Then I noticed that my runs wouldn't automatically upload, sometime last week, and I had to force a sync by opening the MS Health app. I noticed that Bluetooth connection was intermittent too. Fast forward to yesterday, I started getting all my notifications again and everything seemed normal. Yay! Today... back to only SMS/MMS and Call notifications, but Bluetooth has been connected (every time I remembered to check) all day. :/ I'm not enrolled in the Insiders Program, so I don't know if any of the more recent builds addressed the issues I'm experiencing or if this is isolated to the 950 DS's. Either way, good luck.
    02-12-2016 09:19 PM
    I upgraded to the Band 2 and gave the original Band to my wife. She loves it, but managed to wear it washing dishes and it has water damage.

Luckily I bought the MSFT complete and it expires on March 13, 2016 so I know it will be replaced. The question is, will the Microsoft store swap it out (no deductible for Band 1 warranty terms) with a Band 2? Do they even still have the original bands in stock?
    02-14-2016 08:09 PM
    The question is, will the Microsoft store swap it out (no deductible for Band 1 warranty terms) with a Band 2?
    The reports have been inconsistent. Good luck.

Do they even still have the original bands in stock?
    Highly doubtful. They may send it in for repair/replacement.
    02-15-2016 06:21 PM
    So the band arrived today. Pretty cool. So far it's working great. And even despite it being somewhat bulky it's quite comfortable.
    Does anyone have any must have apps for it?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-17-2016 03:28 AM
    Do they even still have the original bands in stock?
    Highly doubtful. They may send it in for repair/replacement.
    I took mine in yesterday. They did have a replacement! So it's worth checking.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-17-2016 03:58 PM
    Update: took the Band 1 in, had MSFT Care. They didn't have any Band 1's left, so we walked out with a Band 2 at no cost. Did add the Care warranty ($39) though. Best deal ever. The Microsoft employee actually said to get the warranty again since it may allow us to get the Band 3 when it comes out. Strange comment, but ok.
    Kilika_g35 and RumoredNow like this.
    02-19-2016 12:11 PM