On my 2nd Microsoft Band 2....and it's dead

partiallypro

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I love my Band 2, but Microsoft has a serious manufacturing problem with this device and its battery housing. It makes the device seem to not take charge, and eventually it will just get to the point to where it won't work without being plugged in. I bought my first Band 2 from the Microsoft Store (online) but I work out so often I went to Best Buy and bought one from there and just returned the one from the Microsoft Store. I really hope Best Buy doesn't try to stick it to me on this and not swap out my band, it should be covered by the manufacturer warranty. I'm sure the next Band 2 I get (if Best Buy cooperates tomorrow) will be a ticking time bomb too. I really wish Microsoft would come out publicly and acknowledge this manufacturing defect. This one lasted longer than my first Band 2 did, but it eventually died from the same fate.

It is absolutely a hardware problem too, maybe a bad solder for the battery? I don't know, but it's definitely battery housing related. No software update will be able to address this. It's time for Microsoft to own up. As you can see just in this forum several people are complaining about it. I had hoped it was just one lot that had the issue, but my two Bands that have died were definitely not from the same lot.

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I just got my fourth (yes 4th) one yesterday. All of my prior three had the same power issue.

I debated opening the new (4th) box and selling it instead. I decided to give it one last try.

3rd one lasted about a month.

I noticed my warranty period being extended each time I return and registered the new one.
I have a MSFT store relatively close by so other than the hassle they do swap on the spot.
With the 4th one I got yesterday the return period is now extended to Feb 2017.
Maybe by then they will have fixed the hardware issue :)

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my B2 at Best Buy. Had the battery issue and they exchanged it.

I did open a service ticket with MSFT. Was told they are aware of the problem.

IMO it's related to the clasp/battery mechanism. I've since worn my second B2 a little loose to minimize strain on the band. So far, so good.

flacoman91_mndd_1

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced mine today at the MS store. I bought it on Nov 9, 2015.

It wouldn't wake up anytime the screen went to sleep, but holding power button would turn it on leaving the "battery dead please set date/time" message.

They had me factory reset it, but the problem was easily repeatable in the store and they replaced it with a new one.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced mine today at the MS store. I bought it on Nov 9, 2015.

It wouldn't wake up anytime the screen went to sleep, but holding power button would turn it on leaving the "battery dead please set date/time" message.

They had me factory reset it, but the problem was easily repeatable in the store and they replaced it with a new one.

I'm getting the same thing happening! I bought my watch from a third party and I don't know where to go for a replacement! do I contact MS? I don't understand MS's logic, you can put in your typecover for warranty on the WARRANTY SITE but you can't enter RELEVENT INFO for warranty for the band 2... like wtf MS?!! btw I just bought this watch a month ago! I'm not feeling very confident in MS's products man! what do you peeps suggest I do?

EDIT: btw the closest MS store is 600KM away (6 hour drive) so going to an MS store is not doable...

Mike Albert2

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm now on my third. Amazon has been great with replacing and giving me free next day shipping. I love the band - really wish Microsoft would fix this issue asap.

Link BC

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my third replacement too. 1st suddenly broken, 2th arrived already broken, 3th pause itself when the workouts isn't finished yet. A nightmare

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like I should be making my purchases through Amazon instead of Microsoft Store. I'm on my second but I've spent $400 for both of mine now. First one was rejected for warranty repair. I do love the Band 2 and how it works for me but if this band tears again I'm done.
I wonder if the Band 2 band issues will get worse or if it's just a few select lucky people.

Microsoft Bandgate....

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking my second one back tomorrow for the same battery issue and will probably pick up my 3rd. I'm surprised they haven't come up with or explained why this seems to be happening so much.

BikeMrown

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I thought the cause was already established? Stretching/twisting of the band causes wires connecting the battery to temporarily disconnect/short. This makes the device power down and it treats it like the battery had died. Wearing the Band too tight or doing too much aggressive action repeatedly causes the failure to happen.

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought the cause was already established? Stretching/twisting of the band causes wires connecting the battery to temporarily disconnect/short. This makes the device power down and it treats it like the battery had died. Wearing the Band too tight or doing too much aggressive action repeatedly causes the failure to happen.

Just had this happen to my first band 2 (purchased 1/25) yesterday while working out. So basically I shouldn't wear my band while working out? Seems useless. The main reason I own these are for the golf app/gps but if the thing cant handle the rigor than I may just sell this thing and move on once I receive my replacement from Microsoft (went through 3 badn 1's too). I am not sure why I continue to support the windows ecosystem (lumia 920, 925, m8, 640 & 640xl as well as a asus t100 2n1)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6