Rubber strap splitting on Band2

whitecm1

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I've just reported the same problem and they are picking it up later today - has anyone has success getting it fixed under warranty in the UK? They tried to tell me straps are not covered...

rlewis2737

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Complete only replaces it 1 time. I have complete and if they do use that to replace it I will be selling it and buying some kind of Android wear. This is clearly a defect. Also my band was a large and the tightest setting was the one I used (was fitted at the MS Store). The cracks are where the strap meets the metal on the sides of the display. I am wondering if the fact that it's the large on the smallest setting could be the reason so I'm going to go by Best Buy and see if a medium on largest setting would do.

Last edited:

cyclical

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
My wife has had to return two Band 2's now, and I have had to return one.

Both of ours started splitting/tearing about 1/4 inch from the clasp. She is a little more active at work. I sit in an office chair with a long sleep dress shirt. We got them when they came out.

Both times Microsoft has tried to blame us on the tearing, saying this isn't common, or that they haven't had anyone return the bands for this trouble. I hope these replacements last. I love the functionality and I love using them to run.

ken ouellette1

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
i had the same splitting on both sides. a very good but not particularly attractive fix is shoe goo you can buy at walgreens etc. works perfect to fix the crack permanently as it flexes with the band.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
...Also my band was a large and the tightest setting was the one I used (was fitted at the MS Store)...

This is also probably good information for everyone to log... Like what is normal wearing style and size, like mine is usually 1/2 to 3/4 tightness on medium band. So far so good since mid December.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Many reports of durability issues, if this is happening after a few weeks/months, then the item can be classed as defective, remember the item needs to be suitable for its intended purpose. MS should be offering repairs while its under warranty. You do not need the extended insurance for this. It would appear the band is not as durable as it should be. This makes MS entirely liable for repairs or replacements, but they will fob you off with this rubbish.

I took mine back and got it replaced this morning. I only had it ten days, developed a crack in the screen. I did not have extended/complete care.

You have additional rights as a consumer use them.

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
This may be the final straw that drives me back to Fitbit. Fitbit just announced the Blaze (will be available in March). It has replaceable bands so I don't have to worry about band tears. I had my Surge replaced after 10 months when the band on it split. Add the 5 day battery life and it will be hard for me to resist retiring my Band 2 just after 6 months.

Amazon has the Blaze up for pre-order.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hope that is not a print error, blaze has no gps, bands cost extra, same skin issues from there bog standard material, even if they can be replaced, limited notification support, does not sit well with windows phones, no whatsapp integration... explains the five day battery life.

It does look nice though...i will give it that, customisation nice...

If MS sorted out their warranty, it would be no problem...

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I returned my Band 2 a few weeks ago, I notice a small dink in the strap by the clasp which quickly turned into a centimetre long split in the strap. I have only just joined the forum and have been taking a look today and noticed this thread. I am gutted because I thought the Band 2 was awesome, it really made me look at my daily activity. I could not believe how few steps I take on my non running days and it motivated me to get up every lunch time and walk and also find more active ways to get to and from work.

I won't be investing in replacing it especially at ?200. This is totally unacceptable. I thought it was just mine that teared but it seems it is a design fault. I'll wait to see what happens if we get a Band 3.

Sadly and regrettably I will be finding another fitness monitor or GPS device to track my running and activities.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I am finding Microsoft's warranty stance quite appalling, they designed a fitness band that does not seem that durable in real life, and then pushes the cost off to you for using it, how wonderful. I hope you get it repaired. This 1 year limited warranty should include repairs for defects. if it wears or rips after a month, I would call that a big defect, design flaw whatever. They should offer to repair the defect at least...If not I would just take it back, get a refund. I do not see how that is legal...

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I had my band just over a week before it started splitting and I used it under what I would consider normal conditions.

I ran with it on and used the GPS. I wore it in the day and used it to count steps and activity and I wore it once in the gym.

I would take it off to sleep in, and only used the sleep monitoring twice. I would also take it off when washing up or doing any task that could knock it etc. The only time I kept it on would be when working on the computer, but then it was under a jumper or long sleeve t-shirt so it would have unlikely taken direct contact with desk.

The Chapman

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
As of today the strap on my band has cracked open to the right side of the screen. I have been to the forums on the Microsoft website and many have the same issue, and same response from MS "Not a Manufactures Defect". We need to "band" together and demand reparations from Microsoft. Maybe an expose article from WindowsCentral.com would be a good start.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I am really not sure what to do now. I originally delayed replacing my MS Band 2 after Amazon UK accepted the return and refund because I originally bought it on offer at ?150 but it had gone up to ?200. Now i am seeing more incidences of strap splitting I am not sure I want to get a new one as I don't want to fork out ?200 then have issues with it again at any point down the line.

I really liked the MS Band, it was comfortably to wear, easy to use, the data feed on it was clear and precise. The battery life could have been better but I managed that. I found it very motivating and prompted me to keep active in the day as well as hitting the gym and running.

I thought the MS Health app was very good and I really liked the break down of my running route that showed me where I was slowest and fastest, this allowed me to modify my pace on the next run. I did wish it had a community liked to it like Fitbit or Strava, but I appreciate the MS Heath App wasn't really designed for that. I also use MyFitnessApp to track my calorie intake and i liked the sync between MS Heath and MyFitnessApp.

I am not sure where to go with this now. If I don't replace the Band i need to find an alternative. I am not sure if there is anything else that links to the MS Health App so it might be that I can only use the GPS on my Lumia 950 and use one of the Running Apps from the App Store like Run Keeper, Runtastic or the new one from Adidas. Otherwise it will be looking for another activity tracker or specify gps running watching, but again I am not sure if any of the GPS Running Watches sync to the Lumia and w10m etc.

It maybe that I use a GPS Watch or other alternative activity tracker and sync it online via my laptop to the dashboards on their websites, and only use the w10m app (if one is available) to view my data

rlewis2737

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Update: MS have replaced my split band as a regular warranty replacement and didn't use my MS Complete and it's on the way to me. Hopefully this one doesn't suck.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is mine. It is size medium and was purchased the week it was released in the US. I wear it all the time and it split about a week ago. It still works but I anticipate it will eventually fail as the mechanism continues to be exposed. I am going to take it to the Microsoft store next weekand see if they will replace it.

WP_20160205_08_38_24_Pro_LI (2).jpg

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is mine. It is size medium and was purchased the week it was released in the US. I wear it all the time and it split about a week ago. It still works but I anticipate it will eventually fail as the mechanism continues to be exposed. I am going to take it to the Microsoft store next weekand see if they will replace it.

View attachment 121840

Please keep us informed...

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
As of today the strap on my band has cracked open to the right side of the screen. I have been to the forums on the Microsoft website and many have the same issue, and same response from MS "Not a Manufactures Defect". We need to "band" together and demand reparations from Microsoft. Maybe an expose article from WindowsCentral.com would be a good start.

indeed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb