Use Band mic for voice recording

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
So im guessing this is a no....?

Hi Allen,

There is no way to turn the mic on from the phone, only user initiated actions on the band can enable the mic. On board the device itself we do not have storage space allocated for saving audio. So to sum it up, no real way to store audio.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Let me rephrase: I am aware there is no on board storage on a band 2, however, is it possible to use the mic via Bluetooth for voice recordings via the app on the phone. It is a Bluetooth connection after all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically you can ask Cortana to "take a note" via Band voice command and it will save to OneNote.

In practice I'm not getting that to complete.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Allen Rhodes,

We actually looked into this a bit early on in the project. Technically the band could connect as a Bluetooth headset with only a microphone, and the Bluetooth standard allows for that. It turns out that a lot of cellphones do not support Bluetooth headsets that are only microphones, once we tell the phone that we are only a mic, our connection gets shut down by the phone.

The lack of support from cell phones combined with the engineering effort that would have been needed to pull it off meant that we didn't investigate it further.

I agree that having the mic record into a custom app of the user's choosing would be super cool. When I'm on Windows Phone I can just use Cortana, but when I am testing out on Android or iOS I miss the functionality of being able to quickly jot down a note.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for providing answers/responses that actually explain the situation compared to "We are looking into it" or "It currently isn't possible." Very helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte