False Heart Rate Spikes Illustrated

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Sure would like to figure this out and get it solved. These screen shots are from today's indoor cycling activity, and really show the problem I'm having with the heart rate sensor, particularly in the first 10 minutes or so of an activity, though sometimes they persist through the whole activity. This was a 'Tempo' ride, no hard intervals, no really significant effort. What frustrates me is that when this problem isn't showing up, as you can see, the sensor is perfectly capable of tracking quite accurately. Not up to the accuracy of a strap, but I don't expect that; I'm well aware of the limitations of optical heart rate sensing at the current limit of the technology. But these spikes are showing up on nearly (but not always) all my indoor cycling and treadmill activities. I really think there's something going on with the software part of the equation that is causing it to sort of 'run away' with itself.

Anyway, you can plainly see the two drastic spikes during the first 10 minutes of the ride, followed by a third lesser spike at about 17 minutes. The second spike is particularly whacked, as it shows around 180 bpm. The highest hr I have ever managed is 163 bpm, and that's at flat out on a long steep hill, about ready to puke. By looking at the time line on the Garmin charts, you can see that when this spike was recorded, I was off the bike standing still, adjusting the seat. Not even breathing hard!

After this, it settles down nicely, and stays within a few beats of the strap for the remainder of the hour and sixteen minute ride. First screen shot is from MS Health, and the second is from my Garmin Fenix 3 with heart rate strap. The drop-outs you see in the Garmin charts are not from sensor problems, they are from me stopping to make some bike fit adjustments.

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo