Should I pull the trigger?

thalador

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
So I have been considering getting a band 2 for a while, I have a cheap fitbit my daughter got me now. I mainly use it to track steps and sleep. With the Band2 I am intrigued about the golf app and the look of it is awesome. The idea of pairing it with my 950XL seems a great idea.

When the price dropped the other day to $175 I thought "Wow, time to buy one" but then I started reading this forum. Seems like most people are having hardware (band) issues along with other little quirks. Combine that with the murmers I see about a Band3 coming soon and it gives me some real cause to take a breath.

I know I am the only one to answer this, but looking for opinions. Even with the issues, assuming I buy one and get the cracking so many others get, is it worth it to get one or just wait to see what the future holds?

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for a Band 3, if there's going to be one. Also considering the new Garmin Vivoactive HR that's due out soon. Need to find out if it will work with my 950XL.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Combine that with the murmers I see about a Band3 coming soon and it gives me some real cause to take a breath.

Band 1 was announced/released on October 30th, 2014.

Band 2 was announced October 6th, 2015 and went on sale on October 30th.

Best guess is that Band 3 will show up October/November 2016. But that's speculation. I've seen no conformation from the "usual sources".

The price cut to $175 is interesting. I'm not sure if that means Band 3 will be early, it's a reaction to the Garmin vivoactive HR having been announced at $249 or perhaps testing of public pricepoint. (Or, perhaps all of the above.) Band 1 did go though some discounting before Band 2 came out.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I have been considering getting a band 2 for a while, I have a cheap fitbit my daughter got me now. I mainly use it to track steps and sleep. With the Band2 I am intrigued about the golf app and the look of it is awesome. The idea of pairing it with my 950XL seems a great idea.

When the price dropped the other day to $175 I thought "Wow, time to buy one" but then I started reading this forum. Seems like most people are having hardware (band) issues along with other little quirks. Combine that with the murmers I see about a Band3 coming soon and it gives me some real cause to take a breath.

I know I am the only one to answer this, but looking for opinions. Even with the issues, assuming I buy one and get the cracking so many others get, is it worth it to get one or just wait to see what the future holds?

I say go ahead and get it. I love mine. It functions wonderfully, and fits sooooooo much better than the Band 1. The screen is really great too. I haven't had a single issue with it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
If you buy it now it may just last long enough for Band 3 to be released before it starts to disintegrate.
I've kept my replacement in the box and will probably leave it as a backup for Band 3 when it comes out, if I decide to buy it that is.

anon(9173271)

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
At 199 I am happy with the hardware. I haven't had any issues yet...

I will likely keep this until the 3 comes out. If they have added detailed graphs / charts and not just access to summary info I'll likely buy one. If not I may look at garmin or whatever Fitbit does with a surge 2( if it exists)

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Band 1 was announced/released on October 30th, 2014.

Band 2 was announced October 6th, 2015 and went on sale on October 30th.

Best guess is that Band 3 will show up October/November 2016. But that's speculation. I've seen no conformation from the "usual sources".

The price cut to $175 is interesting. I'm not sure if that means Band 3 will be early, it's a reaction to the Garmin vivoactive HR having been announced at $249 or perhaps testing of public pricepoint. (Or, perhaps all of the above.) Band 1 did go though some discounting before Band 2 came out.

The $199 Fitbit Blaze is available now too so one more new model for the Band 2 to compete against. The Blaze is supposed to be more like the Apple Watch. It has most of the fitness features that the Fitbit Surge has but lacks GPS like the Apple Watch lacks GPS tracking. The Blaze is more smartwatch-y than the Surge. Techcrunch has a nice short initial video review of the Blaze.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft comes up with in a Band 3.

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The $199 Fitbit Blaze is available now too so one more new model for the Band 2 to compete against.
Indeed. The field is getting crowded. And another device with a rich ecosystem.

In some ways, this is coming down to a test of "band" versus "watch" form factor. And I'm not sure who the winner will be. Fitbit was one of the major leaders of the "band" format, but apparently they think "watch" is the way to go for more functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos