Cortana button now works on Android ? Really Microsoft ?

indylux

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Cortana has never worked reliably for me on the Band 2 with the Lumia 950xl. Flagship windows phone won't work with flagship fitness band bout does work with Android... Not ok.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Still works on my Lumia 950 so not too worried that it's gone to Android.

To me, it makes sense for it to go to Android if Cortana is available there....Why not? Just to make Windows 10 Mobile look a bit better?

I don't think anybody would switch just to get Cortana to work on their Band 2, but maybe a few more people will consider the Band 2 now (Still, probably not going to have a big impact on this either).

The Band 2 is officially cross platform so in a way the Band team owes it to their users on all platforms to make the device as useful as possible.

I was more annoyed they abandoned the original Band so easily - I have a Band 2 now but the v1 had plenty of life left in it

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Still works on my Lumia 950 so not too worried that it's gone to Android.

What build do you have on your 950? I haven't been able to get Cortana on my band to work with a Lumia 535, 830, or 650.

I have no problems having it on Android .... but not when it doesn't work on WP! And yeah, that is a feature that is enough to make me switch - to Android.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good, the thing I least like about this platform (after the app issues) hangs out on Android as well. Can check off "No Cortana" from my short list of Android benefits, though not having to have it on the device is still a plus.

REALLY wish I could turn Cortana off in the Insider build. Also wish they wouldn't be bringing that slow pain to Xbox.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Good, the thing I least like about this platform (after the app issues) hangs out on Android as well. Can check off "No Cortana" from my short list of Android benefits, though not having to have it on the device is still a plus.

REALLY wish I could turn Cortana off in the Insider build. Also wish they wouldn't be bringing that slow pain to Xbox.

if you don't wish to have cortana, why not change the region so that you don't get it? You have over 180 countries to choose from where cortana does not work :winktongue:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
this is confirming more and more how Microsoft is treating their loyal fans.

Yes, this is exactly the case. I don't know how many more times this needs to be repeated, Microsoft is a software and services company that doesn't really care what platform it's customers are using. It supplies it's own platform, but doesn't want to deny the experience for users of other platforms.

Apart from Google Search and Gmail, what does Google do for users of non-Android platforms?
Apart from iTunes, what does Apple do for other platforms? (well, as far as I know iTunes isn't supported on Android..)

So, what's wrong with this story? Do all of the big three only have to offer products to their own users?

Microsoft are in a strong position here, the other two guys should be slightly embarrassed.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I think this is good news. @xandros9 said it best, "an escape route."

My Band 2 worked great with my 1020. When I got my 950 I couldn't believe how Cortana (and the keyboard) didn't work between the WM10 and Band2. As I'll probably be jumping ship soon, I'm glad to hear that the user experience will be better on Android. I like my Band, I'm not liking WM10 and this 950.

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
what a stupid post lol ... Microsoft is about services first, and it is great they give you their options no matter what platform you chose to stay in. If I ever use Android I will be glad to have microsoft services availabe, If at least google would have the same mentality regarding windows mobile the world would be a better place. I certainly ain't switching because of Cortana, it is the interface and the concept of windows that is keeping me here.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
For my two cents;

I have a Windows Phone (and always have) because it RUNS Windows on it, which is what I use, AND it allows me to connect my account/office too ALL my other Windows compatible devices. The more devices I have to connect too, the easier it is to find what I'm looking for. Hardware is hardware, I want the best quality and value for my dollar spent, I really DON'T care who makes it, I really DO care what is does; and the main thing it must "DO" in run Windows...I bought the L920 because it had Windows...and it was "built" by Nokia (literally a friggin Tank!...almost indestructible...still works great).

Another case-in-point: I bought a drone, to use one of the drone's features, I needed a late model Android device; I purchased a high end 8" tablet so I can use the steady-grip feature...otherwise, I NEVER use it, it sits in the case with the drone...period...the extent of its purpose (limited to me because it does not run Windows...may as well be a hammer, instead of a toolbox).

Point being: the more hardware that runs Windows, the more options I have":^)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Guess one thing is this: would you as MS rather have cortana on less than 100 million devices that are strictly windows (pcs, mobile, xbox etc) or would you rather have cortana available for ocer 500 million devices thar are spread across windows, ios and android? The more people using cortana, the more data collected, the faster the rate of development, the greater the uptake in usage. And the more searches with bing done hence better revenue through search

And if someone likes a service on ios/android so much, they might be tempted to try it out in a native (windows) environment - can this be considered a possible scenario?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
what a stupid post lol ... Microsoft is about services first, and it is great they give you their options no matter what platform you chose to stay in. If I ever use Android I will be glad to have microsoft services availabe, If at least google would have the same mentality regarding windows mobile the world would be a better place. I certainly ain't switching because of Cortana, it is the interface and the concept of windows that is keeping me here.

Seriously! How does this make Windows worse??

Yes, this is exactly the case. I don't know how many more times this needs to be repeated, Microsoft is a software and services company that doesn't really care what platform it's customers are using. It supplies it's own platform, but doesn't want to deny the experience for users of other platforms.

Apart from Google Search and Gmail, what does Google do for users of non-Android platforms?
Apart from iTunes, what does Apple do for other platforms? (well, as far as I know iTunes isn't supported on Android..)

So, what's wrong with this story? Do all of the big three only have to offer products to their own users?

Microsoft are in a strong position here, the other two guys should be slightly embarrassed.

Yes, I understand that. They ARE a software company. They created a platform that is theirs for Mobile, They have given away every excluseive feature for Windows Phone to iOS and Android BESIDES live tiles.

So Cortana goes to iOS and Android.... do you think we will see Google Now on Windows phone ? How about Siri ? I dont thinks so.

Exclusive features gives an advanage to a platform, something DIFFERENT from the other phones. Microsoft knows this and descided to give it up. This alone shows that Microsoft does not really care about Moble any more, just keeping it going for the customers who want to stay all Microsoft.

After all, WHY in the world (beisdes the basic phone layout over all) buy a Windows Phone when you can get EVERY advange to the platform on EVERY other platform ?

If you want a platform to SURVIVE, you NEED EXCLUSIVE features, something that works different from the other phones.

For the record, on my ICON and LG G4.... Cortana via the Band 2 is a POS, it SOMETIMES works, not all the time, not even close, Not a connection problem after it fails, I get a email notification. Even from day 1, it never worked really well, It was easier just to pull out my phone and say "Hey Cortana"....

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Exclusive features by definition excludes more customers than they benefit. Microsoft sure won't gain any significant revenue increases if they don't allow users of other platforms to access their services.

If more users use the service, the service gets better - for everyone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Exclusive features by definition excludes more customers than they benefit.

Yes it does; the definition of Exclusive includes "restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned". Exclusive features may work to increase sales in some cases, but it didn't seem to work for Microsoft when it comes to mobile. Look at Office; probably one of the most used, and most important, software suites for business. Office exclusivity did not work to boost Windows Phone sales. If Office won't bring users, what will?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05