Cortana button now works on Android ? Really Microsoft ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Exclusive features by definition excludes more customers than they benefit. Microsoft sure won't gain any significant revenue increases if they don't allow users of other platforms to access their services.

If more users use the service, the service gets better - for everyone.

Yea but, it cuts the advananges going to Windows Phone...

Like I said with the problems with WIndows Phone, App selection, hardware selection (smartwatches, etc) and NO exclusive features. Why would ANYONE buy a WIndows Phone device after looking at the whole echosystem for other phones ?

I am like others here, I want to see Windows Phone (w10m) grow and be a success but, with out any exclusives, I cant see it happening now... No matter how good the OS is...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea but, it cuts the advananges going to Windows Phone...

And how much did the Windows Phone share grow over the past couple of years having exclusive access to Cortana? And how much of that growth is immediately due to people only wanting access to Cortana?

The point is that Microsoft has learnt that having apps/services tied to Windows Phone really did nothing to encourage new sales.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Why would ANYONE buy a WIndows Phone device

For the same reason anyone, would buy anything; Quality of Product. If they can't provide this fundamental requirement, and I could get ALL the features of the Windows OS, and devices from a better quality product...I go with the quality first. What would MS net from this? I would continue using there OS, and not change that too; for that would be the sure beginning to their inevitable demise.

I just hope that there is a butt-kicker from Microsoft around the corner, for that would really vindicate my loyalties.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that there is a butt-kicker from Microsoft around the corner, for that would really vindicate my loyalties.

Sigh, I hope so too for your sake. Knowing Microsoft history pretty well, I have seen this before. This is not good for WIndows Phone in the long term.

I've been saying the same thing from the day of Windows Phone 7.....and waiting, waiting, waiting....and still waiting... Oh, wait, now the promised Tap to pay wont be for the older devices. Oh Gee wiz, waited and dispointed AGAIN.

And no matter how people think it's a great thing to be across all platforms...Each other platform has their exclusive features and their voice features. This should of been a feature across Windows Phone and WIndows 10, to make it exclusive to Windows. Making an advanage to staying in the Microsoft echosystem. Did you hear ? Siri is coming to IOS (PC) so...an ADVANAGE to say with iOS. Windows Phone ? Nope, no exclusive.

I really do want Windows Phone to succeed and have been VERY loyal to the platform from HPC 1.0 (through PDAs to Phones) but more and more, I dont see it any more...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sigh, I hope so too for your sake. Knowing Microsoft history pretty well, I have seen this before. This is not good for WIndows Phone in the long term.

I've been saying the same thing from the day of Windows Phone 7.....and waiting, waiting, waiting....and still waiting... Oh, wait, now the promised Tap to pay wont be for the older devices. Oh Gee wiz, waited and dispointed AGAIN.

And no matter how people think it's a great thing to be across all platforms...Each other platform has their exclusive features and their voice features. This should of been a feature across Windows Phone and WIndows 10, to make it exclusive to Windows. Making an advanage to staying in the Microsoft echosystem. Did you hear ? Siri is coming to IOS (PC) so...an ADVANAGE to say with iOS. Windows Phone ? Nope, no exclusive.

I really do want Windows Phone to succeed and have been VERY loyal to the platform from HPC 1.0 (through PDAs to Phones) but more and more, I dont see it any more...

I think the main exclusive feature of a windows mobile device would be that it has windows OS. That would be it. Not the apps, not the hardware, not the pricing. Just the OS itself.
You want a close system? Go with ios.
You want a very open system prone to malware attacks? Go with android
However, if you want an OS that looks and feels like your pc, everything is familiar, regularly updated, then go with windows.

Another thing that might become exclusive to windows mobile devices is continuum

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I think the main exclusive feature of a windows mobile device would be that it has windows OS. That would be it. Not the apps, not the hardware, not the pricing. Just the OS itself.
You want a close system? Go with ios.
You want a very open system prone to malware attacks? Go with android
However, if you want an OS that looks and feels like your pc, everything is familiar, regularly updated, then go with windows.

Well said, Chintan.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Sigh, I hope so too for your sake.

DavidinCT, I feel your pain. I think we all what to feel we've backed a winner, and right now our horse is showing only "some signs" of even showing up at the mobile phone finish line, let alone in first place; but it is still very early in the race for the Windows 10 OS - which technically will be an "exclusive feature":&).

Windows 10 is aggressive OS, with lots of great potential - but; like most things, takes time to iron out all the wrinkles.

I know another feature I'd like to see: that is; the display in direct sunlight.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Sure, and with low sales numbers, no promotion, No new strong apps, Microsoft almost abandoning some of their loyal fans. How long do you think they will keep doing that ?

When it comes down to it, Microsoft is a business, a multibillion dollar GOBLAL one. They are there to do one thing, make money. After a few more years of loss of money from the mobile market, How long do you actually think they will keep losing money ?

Giving all their exclusives away is almost like they gave up on Mobile, they are more of a holding pattern now, bug fixes on the OS mainly, pushing Universal apps, give it a few years, if app levels pick up, then promote it, if not, it's a 10 billion dollar write off.

As I have said, I have watched Microsoft from Dos 5.0 and Windows 3.0... They have played this type of game before, their process does not work and it's just a matter of time before they say, we are getting out of the mobile device market.

To Microsoft, a 10 billion dollar write off is a drop in the bucket and they can use the tax break...

Another thing that might become exclusive to windows mobile devices is continuum

Another feature that has good possibilities but, in the long run, it's hard to see it's future. The 950 and 950XL have promoted it, The 950 is on display at ever AT&T store. To add the feature (with a dock) it's not very expensive.

Still, how are sales on it ? Any real promo on it ?

It's got a long way to go before it's ready for a TRUE laptop replacement...

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Giving all their exclusives away is almost like they gave up on Mobile

OR!....maybe!... more followers of other platforms will see some of the keen features that Windows 10 has to offer; and as a result, actually make an effort to give it a try.

FYI: I remember when Dos 2.0 was a big deal, and Commodore and Atari where the "BIG BOYS" at C.E.S ";^)

Cheers!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sure, and with low sales numbers, no promotion, No new strong apps, Microsoft almost abandoning some of their loyal fans. How long do you think they will keep doing that ?

When it comes down to it, Microsoft is a business, a multibillion dollar GOBLAL one. They are there to do one thing, make money. After a few more years of loss of money from the mobile market, How long do you actually think they will keep losing money ?

Giving all their exclusives away is almost like they gave up on Mobile, they are more of a holding pattern now, bug fixes on the OS mainly, pushing Universal apps, give it a few years, if app levels pick up, then promote it, if not, it's a 10 billion dollar write off.

As I have said, I have watched Microsoft from Dos 5.0 and Windows 3.0... They have played this type of game before, their process does not work and it's just a matter of time before they say, we are getting out of the mobile device market.

To Microsoft, a 10 billion dollar write off is a drop in the bucket and they can use the tax break...

Another feature that has good possibilities but, in the long run, it's hard to see it's future. The 950 and 950XL have promoted it, The 950 is on display at ever AT&T store. To add the feature (with a dock) it's not very expensive.

Still, how are sales on it ? Any real promo on it ?

It's got a long way to go before it's ready for a TRUE laptop replacement...

Their idea of a universal windows platform is dependent on the mobile device component being in the mix. If there's no mobile, then the UWP is severely limited. So they won't outright give up on it.

Why are there few promotions on the 950? Because it's not as perfect as they would like it and there's no point of advertising a device that some might not like. I'm assuming that MS want to advertise something that they are really proud of and is worth advertising.

As it is, they're releasing builds for both windows 10 on pc and on mobile. Together, not separate.

A lot of people complained about the older models being left behind when windows 10 mobile was released. How come no one has complained that xp and vista users cannot get the free upgrade?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people complained about the older models being left behind when windows 10 mobile was released. How come no one has complained that xp and vista users cannot get the free upgrade?

Because those kinds of upgrades were never expected or implied.

Mac OS X's major upgrades were like $99 each.
Each iteration from 2000 to XP to Vista to 7 to 8.x were paid.

And Vista launched a decade ago. Nobody is asking that their original iPhone receive iOS 10, their Treo 680 should get webOS 2 or...

The Windows 10 Mobile upgrade was stated to be happening or heavily implied literally up until launch day.
Like if Apple suddenly cut off the iPhone 6 and earlier from receiving iOS 10 on launch day, and blaming poor performance during the betas.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

That one is easy, read the PAST of Windows upgrade paths. According to Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 was a failure. Most people who didn't upgrade to 8, were still on 7. Their newer OS's. They wanted 10 to be more widely accepted, there ONLY option was to offer it for Windows 7 and 8.

Correct me if I am wrong wasn't the Windows 7 upgrade available for Windows Vista and XP users ? Yep, it was...

Windows 7 Upgrade Eligibility and Paths ? SoftwareMedia Blog

They are ONLY offering Windows 10 for free because they want EVERYONE possible on Windows 10. After the mess with 8, most people would of stuck with 7 (it just works and works good), if Microsoft CHARGED for the Windows 10 upgrade, and they know that. Their new model to go to UWP and have people use a store over getting retail software would NOT work unless everyone possible goes to 10.

Still it's about money in the global scheme of things. I would love to be a Fly on the wall in the corporate meeting at Microsoft about the status of the mobile department about 2 years from now. In 2 years I expect Microsoft to know how UWP worked out for Mobile and the status of things. That is the point they will decide for good what they are going to do here.

No matter how much people love Windows Phone, the fact is still there, Microsoft is losing millions of dollars a year on it. It's just a matter of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12