Brief flirtation with Gear Fit 2..........or..........

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
.........the grass is not always greener!

So, being a fitness band junkie, I was eager to give the new Samsung Gear Fit 2 a try. I have one of the original Gear Fits (unfortunately bricked), and it did have some things going for it, and I wanted to see what the new beast was like. Long story short, its going back today, sadly.

What I liked:

1. Design - really nice, reminiscent of what the Band could be!
2. The screen - beautiful, colorful amoled screen, somewhat larger and brighter than the Band's.
3. The strap - very comfortable, and somewhat slimmer, more supple, nicely textured.

What I didn't like"

1. Automatic activity detection. I've never seen this successfully implemented yet. Mowed the lawn this morning (push mower) and the Fit was convinced I was cycling. Finally had to manually start a 'Other Exercise' activity to get it to quit telling me I was on the bike. I get it, legs moving, arms not moving and stuck out in front of me. But that's why automatic detection doesn't work.
2. Heart rate while in an activity. Did a 45 minute session on the indoor trainer, with four nine minute intervals. Watched my hr strap report my hr raising steadily to 135-145, while the Fit stubbornly remained at 82 to 86. I've had issues with the Band accurately tracking indoor cycling, but nothing anywhere near that bad. Yesterday I did a session on the Elliptical where my strap was reporting 105-120, while the Fit was reporting 170 to 190. Really? I'm 61 years old and on blood pressure medication. If I push to the point of puking, I can maybe hit 165. Trust me, I was nowhere near that point.
3. The clasp. Yup, great strap, lousy clasp. Its one of those push the button through the hole type, that have always had a problem with getting caught on something and popping open. This one does too. Admittedly, it also has a loop that you pass the strap through first, so you're not as likely to lose it completely. Granted, you can use a 'band-keeper' type device to slide over the clasp to keep it covered and closed. But still.

I could easily overlook/overcome the clasp, and I can get around the auto-detection issue. But the inaccurate heart rate tipped the scale for me. As I said, its going back, and the Band is back on my wrist. Too bad, the fit is a rather beautiful device regards design.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Design vs functionality
It will be a couple of years before these fitness trackers are at a level to give accurate information all the time. For now, they are still in the development phase, much like how the first pcs were

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. There are so many variables involved in what folks want in a fitness wearable. And on top of that, my belief is that optical heart rate sensing is rather more an art than a science, at least at this point. Some manufacturers seem to have it figured out more than others, but none seem to be perfect. There has been a lot of progress in the last two years or so, though. Really quite incredible what the tech is capable of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs