Microsoft Watch - When!

mordreadx20

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm hearing about the upcoming release of the Microsoft Band 3 and wondering when is Microsoft going to release a smartwatch!

The Band 2 is cool but very uncomfortable to wear as a daily device. I just want a smartwatch with the Band's features that works with my Microsoft 950.

C'mon Microsoft enough with the Bands already....it's smartwatch time!

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I hate Microsoft's obsession with fitness. They should release a smartwatch that looks like a watch and focuses on productivity, not silly, battery-wasting sensors.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What's the definition of a smartwatch? If it mainly shows time and notifications from the phone, doesn't the band do that? Or glance and the band?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say that I'm using an LG watch and a Band 2, and, as far as functionality is concerned, the LG watch (Android Wear) is far superior than the Band 2. I can access just about every app on my phone via my LG watch. It truly is an extension of my phone. However, it can't compete with the Band 2 regarding fitness. MS has that area of the market pretty well covered. But, are all people into tracking fitness??? No. I would imagine that lots more people most likely would wear a watch, and when they might go shopping for a watch, they're probably not going to be interested in a fitness band with watch capabilities. Just my speculation, though. I love the Band 2 for what it is, but I'd really like to see MS make a truly functional smartwatch that retained some or all of the fitness capabilities of the Band 2. I'd most likely buy one.

Valter Baptista1

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Yes but i say it in my case, when i have meetings or need to more formal for work, i like to have the correct watch for the correct need. When i was on android i owned a Sony SW30. Basically when i as running i weared a silicon band, and in work i weared the metal band.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I prefer classic watches.

Me too.

I would much prefer if they made the band a real watchband, so I could use a classic watch as a jewelry piece, but still have the smart functionality in the band.

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 right now, which is great (and looks decent), but something like the Garmin Vivosmart (with a screen that you cannot see unless it is active), as a sporty band to go with my Panerai, would be amazing. Like the previous poster said, I would throw my money at them.

Montblanc had the right idea with their e-strap, but the implementation isn't very appealing, especially without a proper dev platform. Plus, I am not a fan of their watches. A strap that would fit most watches would be best.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What's the definition of a smartwatch? If it mainly shows time and notifications from the phone, doesn't the band do that? Or glance and the band?

On that aspect, how would you define a WATCH ? How should it look ? Something you LOVE, I could hate.

The band 1/2 is a fitness device first, then a notification device second. A SMARTWATCH should have notifications FIRST and fitness second.

The Pebble is a smartwatch, the FITBIT or Microsoft Band is a FITNESS device.

Would love to see what Microsoft will come up with but, at this point.... Android for me..So I can get a REAL smartwatch..

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On that aspect, how would you define a WATCH ? How should it look ? Something you LOVE, I could hate.

The band 1/2 is a fitness device first, then a notification device second. A SMARTWATCH should have notifications FIRST and fitness second.

The Pebble is a smartwatch, the FITBIT or Microsoft Band is a FITNESS device.

Would love to see what Microsoft will come up with but, at this point.... Android for me..So I can get a REAL smartwatch..

so how would you say a device is this first and that second? What's the definition?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree.

There should be a proper smart watch for Windows 10 mobile. The currently available Vector watch is not very good and just expensive.

I would love to use my Pebble with Windows 10 mobile but I don't think it will happen any time soon it seems.

Until then I cannot use Windows 10 mobile.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't care if they do make one, I am a windows die hard but after the Band 2 fiasco, I am done with their wearables. Sent one back due to failure, received new one, it quit working, they received and said it was damaged and voided my warranty (bullcrap) and sent it back. I got it working again but now wrist strap is cracked and they say I have no warranty due to their canceling it from last time I sent it in. I am done with them.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't care if they do make one, I am a windows die hard but after the Band 2 fiasco, I am done with their wearables. Sent one back due to failure, received new one, it quit working, they received and said it was damaged and voided my warranty (bullcrap) and sent it back. I got it working again but now wrist strap is cracked and they say I have no warranty due to their canceling it from last time I sent it in. I am done with them.

To be fair, Band 2 never had a great record with reliability.

There are other decent wearable products that last. I am using a Pebble watch which seems to work well and is cheap.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Scienceguy Labs
I gotta say that I'm using an LG watch and a Band 2, and, as far as functionality is concerned, the LG watch (Android Wear) is far superior than the Band 2. I can access just about every app on my phone via my LG watch. It truly is an extension of my phone. However, it can't compete with the Band 2 regarding fitness. MS has that area of the market pretty well covered. But, are all people into tracking fitness??? No. I would imagine that lots more people most likely would wear a watch, and when they might go shopping for a watch, they're probably not going to be interested in a fitness band with watch capabilities. Just my speculation, though. I love the Band 2 for what it is, but I'd really like to see MS make a truly functional smartwatch that retained some or all of the fitness capabilities of the Band 2. I'd most likely buy one.

Are you using your LG Watch with a w10m or android phone?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't normally go off on a rant about Microsoft Hardware users, but this is going to be a minor rant.........

I have for a long time tried my best to push this issue out into the public eye, and almost every other user ( save for a few ) have done nothing to help.

Lots of people here will write paragraph long complaints at how they want a Microsoft Watch, but will not even click a retweet or hit a like over on facebook. It just really boggles my mind, a person will take 5 min's to pose a desire/gripe/complaint, but when given an option to express it as a collective, a mouse click becomes something that is too hard to do.

Ok firstly I am sorry I had a rant !!! Secondly for any who may be new and not aware.....Microsoft stopped Nokia from releasing a Watch like Smartwatch, one that focused on notification/information, music control, time keeping and steps ( health as a second thought).

It was ready to go and should have launched at the same time the Lumia 730 hit. Now it's more then likely in the same warehouse as the Surface Mini......just doing nothing.

moonraker.jpg
Twitter-Moonraker-Leaks-3.png
microsoftmoonraker3.0.0.jpg
xnokia-smartwatch-1024x600-1040x580.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UV4DjT0gJP.jpg

This should be an outrage to many who are not into the fitness side of things !!!! Don't get me wrong, I think the Band is great for what it is, but I'm sorry a Watch it just is not !! It is however the best fitness tracker you can get for our platform!!!

Why can't Microsoft just cut a deal with a 3rd party ( say Swatch), to make these so they don't have to take on extra cost???
Windows Phone Smart Watch lovers are out here, but we need to find a way to gather as a group and push a very public message in front of Microsoft brass, so they can't ignore it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't normally go off on a rant about Microsoft Hardware users, but this is going to be a minor rant.........

I have for a long time tried my best to push this issue out into the public eye, and almost every other user ( save for a few ) have done nothing to help.

Lots of people here will write paragraph long complaints at how they want a Microsoft Watch, but will not even click a retweet or hit a like over on facebook. It just really boggles my mind, a person will take 5 min's to pose a desire/gripe/complaint, but when given an option to express it as a collective, a mouse click becomes something that is too hard to do.

Ok firstly I am sorry I had a rant !!! Secondly for any who may be new and not aware.....Microsoft stopped Nokia from releasing a Watch like Smartwatch, one that focused on notification/information, music control, time keeping and steps ( health as a second thought).

It was ready to go and should have launched at the same time the Lumia 730 hit. Now it's more then likely in the same warehouse as the Surface Mini......just doing nothing.

View attachment 130634
View attachment 130635
View attachment 130636
View attachment 130637

This should be an outrage to many who are not into the fitness side of things !!!! Don't get me wrong, I think the Band is great for what it is, but I'm sorry a Watch it just is not !! It is however the best fitness tracker you can get for our platform!!!

Why can't Microsoft just cut a deal with a 3rd party ( say Swatch), to make these so they don't have to take on extra cost???
Windows Phone Smart Watch lovers are out here, but we need to find a way to gather as a group and push a very public message in front of Microsoft brass, so they can't ignore it.
Totally agree. I'd be first in line to buy a true smartwatch from MS. I've really gotten into the functionality of my LG watch, and miss it when I switch over to my 950XL/Band 2 combo. But, the LG watch just doesn't cut it when I go out for a bike ride. I haven't used my Nexus/LG Watch in a couple of weeks, and I've gotten back into the Band 2. However, I just can't help but imagine how cool it would be if the Band 2 had just a little more non-fitness functionality.
As far as getting the attention of MS regarding an actual smartwatch, what do you suggest that we do. I'll participate however I can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes