Possible Answer to Band/Band 2 Random Shut Downs

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
While waiting for yet another replacement of my Band 2, I stumbled across a video that may hold the answer to the random shut downs. A firefighter noticed that when moving his Band 2 close to his portable radio it would shut down even with full battery. This caused me to realize that my shut downs are also limited to when I'm on duty, wearing my radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9J78FLtnMY

So it appears that maybe the digital radio frequency from the portable radio is triggering some sort of event on the Band/Band 2. For those who are experiencing the issue who don't use radios, is there a common location/scenario where your band powers off? Maybe there are similar digital interferences that are causing the issues for others.

If we all try to identify potential causes, and find a common source, maybe Microsoft can issue a software patch or at least provide some form of shielding for future wearables.

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Someone has already posted this somewhere. If it's not in this forum it maybe in reddit.

See Band 2 shuts off when next to work radio.

So far, all of the known RFI incidents are a result of a radio extremely close to the Band. It seems to require enough signal that it would be a very rare problem for folks who don't use 2-way radios. Not unless we can find it's most sensitive frequency and reproduce the effect with a lower level signal.

I suspect the leading cause is a cracked wire from the display to the battery pack. Once that wire is stretched, the Band suffers from a complete "power off" condition and will not turn on again when the connection is restored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb