Slow Charging

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A review I read said that the band 2 should charge 80% in 20 minutes.

An hour ago mine had 10% and now it only has 56%.

That's about 50% per hour.

This is from the same charger that I use for my Lumia icon.

Does that seem too slow or normal?

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
From this article, Windows Central said the following when the Band 2 was first released.

Even though the battery may reach 80 percent after charging for 20 minutes, it can take two or more hours to charge it to 100 percent. This is normal for lithium-polymer batteries.

I believe there have been some negative effects on the battery in updates since the initial release. I used to start every day by charging the Band 2 for about 20 minutes while I got ready for work in the mornings. I would leave the house with at least 80% battery every day and could usually make it about 30 hours on a single full charge to 100% - with watch mode enabled.

Around March, I started having issues with the battery cutting out randomly due to a faulty wire in the wrist strap. I noticed the battery life slowly diminishing over time. I ran a marathon and the battery died at 2 hours and 45 minutes in GPS mode when it was stated that it should last 4 to 5 hours. Finally in May, the faulty wire in the wrist strap caused the Band to not turn on at all.

I've had two warranty replacements since then - one refurb and one brand new unit. They have both lasted only about 14 hours on a full charge and they do not charge quickly to 80% anymore. I can only get from 30% to about 60% in that 20 minutes while I'm getting ready for work now.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe there have been some negative effects on the battery in updates since the initial release. I used to start every day by charging the Band 2 for about 20 minutes while I got ready for work in the mornings. I would leave the house with at least 80% battery every day and could usually make it about 30 hours on a single full charge to 100% - with watch mode enabled.

Around March, I started having issues with the battery cutting out randomly due to a faulty wire in the wrist strap. I noticed the battery life slowly diminishing over time. I ran a marathon and the battery died at 2 hours and 45 minutes in GPS mode when it was stated that it should last 4 to 5 hours. Finally in May, the faulty wire in the wrist strap caused the Band to not turn on at all.

I've had two warranty replacements since then - one refurb and one brand new unit. They have both lasted only about 14 hours on a full charge and they do not charge quickly to 80% anymore. I can only get from 30% to about 60% in that 20 minutes while I'm getting ready for work now.

I wonder if that's correct.
I, also, only get one day out of a full battery.
I charge my band 2 for about 45 minutes, in the morning, and I'll have to charge before going to sleep.
Given that this is my only band, this is all the reference that I have.
But the reviews seem to be more generous than I have experienced.
JJ

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I actually really enjoy mine, but I have started keeping a spare charging cable in my car to charge on my way home from work (about a 40 minute commute). This has helped a lot since I started noticing the diminished battery life.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
A review I read said that the band 2 should charge 80% in 20 minutes.

An hour ago mine had 10% and now it only has 56%.

That's about 50% per hour.

This is from the same charger that I use for my Lumia icon.

Does that seem too slow or normal?

Joshua,

After this commenting on this post a few days ago I also responded to this thread, which led me to a different way of thinking about this issue.

You can read my thoughts there, but can you confirm what phone you are connecting your Band with and whether it coincides with my thought that this issue is possibly related to the Redstone/Anniversary updates?

The battery issues that I've noticed started around the time that I enrolled my Lumia 640 XL in this Insider program. I got a new Lumia 950 this week on the 10586.x builds and my battery life has improved dramatically the past 4 days.

I also saw a comment on this article today that said his battery would be under 25% by the end of the day with his Lumia, but have close to 50% when paired with his Android phone.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Saturday is my day off of work, so I don't have the same routine of a commute where I have 40 free minutes of no activity to recharge the Band on my way home. The last few Saturdays that it was paired with my Lumia 640 XL on the Redstone builds, I would get about 14 hours of use before the battery got below 10%, and this is without doing any type of exercise tracking.

This weekend was my first Saturday back on the 10586.x builds since getting my new phone (version 10586.545 currently). As I suspected, the battery life was much improved, and I think it is due to the phone's operating system. After taking the Band 2 off the charger Saturday morning, I waited a full 24 hours before connecting it again. After sleep tracking Saturday night and a run with GPS early Sunday morning for 30 minutes, the Band was still at 34% when I plugged it in on Sunday.

One major issue I've had with the Redstone builds was Bluetooth freezing when turning it off and back on quickly. This is listed as one of the things addressed for mobile on the 14393.51 build that has only been released for PC so far. This particular issue doesn't sound like it would be related to the causing the battery drain on the Band, but maybe it will mean that other Bluetooth fixes for mobile could be addressed soon.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My Band 2 still gets 2+ days from a full charge, but I've definitely noticed it charges more slowly than before. I think it has to do with the big update pushed earlier this year. FWIW I use it with a nexus 5X.

Posted from my Nexus 5X

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers