Band 2, Health App and Battery Drain

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Made it 50 1/2 hours.

As a side note, I noticed that a lot of other annoyances went away also. Annoyances such as contact names not showing when recording a call and delayed notifications.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by poit57
Originally Posted by Praxius
I can't really roll back my 950XL to 8.1
You don't need to go that far back. My new Lumia 950 is currently on 10586.545. I have been getting about 14 hours of battery with no exercise or sleep tracking when paired with my Lumia 640 XL on the Redstone builds.

After getting my new Lumia 950 this week and not enrolling it in the Insider program, I went 24 hours from Saturday to Sunday, including a 30 minute GPS run and sleep tracking, and still had 34% battery left when I finally plugged it in to recharge.

I echo this. Battery life on my Band 2 was as good as ever up through 10586.545 on my 950 XL. Immediately after updating to the Anniversary Update, my Band's battery life tanked. I get maybe 13-14 hours before the low battery alert goes off.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This may add up with my experiences as well. I'm on a 950xl on fast ring and received a replacement band (strap split for the second time so this is my third one) just over a month ago now and the new one has a lot less battery life than the other ones I've had. Charging even seems to take longer (probably just misperception as it is much lower when I plug it in). I wonder if it is the phone build rather than band at fault here?

My old ones were great with battery and would easily last day and night with a quick 30 - 45 min charge in the morning while jn the shower. Quite often now mine now dies during the night and then needs a long charge in the morning.

I haven't used GPS for a while now but I have assumed it would die even quicker then as I assumed the device was at fault and was going to send it back for a replacement. Maybe I'll hold off now to see if anything comes of the thought it is the anniversary update causing the issue.

My wife has a Band 2 and 950xl but on release builds not insider, she received anniversary update the other day so I'll keep an eye on her Band battery life.

One other thing I've noticed is that the transparent live tile doesn't work on my phone despite setting it and even reinstalling the health app, works fine on the wife's 950xl though.

Also noticed that notifications are a bit hit and miss these days. Sometimes they seem to get stick and all come through at once sine hours later for no apparent reason. Shame really as the device is great without the bugs and the strap issue.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone reported this in the feedback app so people can upvote and let MS know there is a problem? Maybe tweet dona salad a link to the thread.

Is the RS2 build any better/

Jiri Dvorak

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I just want to confirm your suspicions. Battery life went down from almost two days to barely one day. It happened after the new Anniversary update.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
As previously stated in this thread, my Band 2's battery life became was really bad (about 14 hours) since I upgraded my 640 XL to the Redstone builds on Insider about 2 months ago. I wasn't sure of the correlation because that is about the same time that I had to get a warranty replacement because of a loose connection in the wrist strap where it would suddenly die with a full battery. At first, I thought the refurbished replacement unit had a bad battery until I received a second replacement (new in box from a retail store) and had the same problem with short battery life.

After spending the last week before the official Anniversary Update release with a brand new Lumia 950 on the 10586.x builds, I saw my Band 2's battery life return to about 30 hours. That is about what I got with watch mode (rotate on), using sleep mode at night, and tracking a 30 minute to hour run workout with GPS.

I installed the Anniversary Update on August 9, and currently running 14393.67. I haven't had any battery issue with the Band since the official update was released. When on the Insider program, I would have about 40% battery left after a 9 hour work day. Since the official Anniversary Update, I've had about 72% battery after work with the same usage.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As previously stated in this thread, my Band 2's battery life became was really bad (about 14 hours) since I upgraded my 640 XL to the Redstone builds on Insider about 2 months ago. I wasn't sure of the correlation because that is about the same time that I had to get a warranty replacement because of a loose connection in the wrist strap where it would suddenly die with a full battery. At first, I thought the refurbished replacement unit had a bad battery until I received a second replacement (new in box from a retail store) and had the same problem with short battery life.

After spending the last week before the official Anniversary Update release with a brand new Lumia 950 on the 10586.x builds, I saw my Band 2's battery life return to about 30 hours. That is about what I got with watch mode (rotate on), using sleep mode at night, and tracking a 30 minute to hour run workout with GPS.

I installed the Anniversary Update on August 9, and currently running 14393.67. I haven't had any battery issue with the Band since the official update was released. When on the Insider program, I would have about 40% battery left after a 9 hour work day. Since the official Anniversary Update, I've had about 72% battery after work with the same usage.

That makes me wonder if there is a different version of the Microsoft Health app that is being pushed to Insiders that handles refreshing differently.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the official release of the AU (14393.67) as well on a L950XL now, and still massive battery drain. So it's not necessarily a difference in apps.

waded

Feb 12, 2008
Visit site

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
So I just read that AT&T has started the push of the Anniversary Update. Does anybody know how to prevent it from being installed?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have, and no it doesn't fix it. I've been testing & giving feedback on this issue since it first showed up in earlier 143xx builds, and 14393.82 hasn't fixed it.

See also https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftB...tery_life_band_2_with_14393_win_10_au/d6b0kvp where I go into more detail.

Is it possible that the issue is lingering from previous builds that were installed on your phone? Since my Lumia 950 was practically brand new when the Anniversary Update was released, I went ahead and performed a master reset after the upgrade for a clean installation.

Ideally, a reset shouldn't be required after an upgrade, but that has become my common practice with a major OS change over the past year.

Timo47v

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 that I bought in June. I have never installed any insider builds on it. Yesterday I upgraded it to the AU. Today, I found out my band's battery had drained after more or less 14 hours of use. This is dramatically less than what I had the days and weeks before.

It is high time for Microsoft to a) acknowledge this issue and b) provide a solution for it.

And no, I will NOT do a hard reset of my phone only to find out it did not change anything.
I can understand this may be needed from time to time if you're running insider builds, but it should not be required for phones with production builds only.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Just saw the article about build 14393.103 entering Release Preview, with this item in the changelog as well:

Improved battery life of wearable devices (such as the Microsoft Band) while Bluetooth is connected and idle.

Hopefully that should fix at least one huuuuuge issue, even if it doesn't fix the live tile of the MS Health app.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Just saw the article about build 14393.103 entering Release Preview, with this item in the changelog as well:

Hopefully that should fix at least one huuuuuge issue, even if it doesn't fix the live tile of the MS Health app.

I was coming here to update the thread with this information as well. Since I no longer want to enroll my main phone in the Insider program, does anyone know the average time between when a build hits the release ring and when it is made available to the general public?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
i can confirm my band2 battery lasts about 2 days again after the .109 update. pretty happy with that now!

Curious how long we on the production update schedule will have to wait? My Band 2 doesn't last all day now.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb