Phantom calorie counts

jwballing

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing that when I am not wearing the band calories are still being counted. I went to ms store and they replaced. However new one is doing same thing. For example I did not wear my band last night and it reported 583 calories burned when I checked. This morning.

Thanks.

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Pretty sure that is because the calorie count that happens during the day is an estimation done by an algorithm that uses your height, age, and weight.

It assumes (quite rightly) that you will burn a baseline number of calories per day, and tracked activities are added on to that value.

I don't think this is a fault. It is just how the band works.

Somebody more knowledgeable can now step in and tell me I am wrong. :D

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment.

lstar337 is correct. In order to give us an estimated for total calories burned in a day, Microsoft must account for the amount of calories we are burning at rest, even when we are not wearing the Band. BMR calculators generally use age, sex, height and weight, to calculate this estimate.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The time to worry is when your band shows no calories. It means you've joined the undead.

heh, this is actually happening to my Band 2. My calorie count started registering stupid low numbers for all activity a few days ago. I think a sensor has gone kaput. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos