Thinking of purchasing a Band 2, is it worth it at this point?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The Band line is looking to have a limited future. However, with a significant price drop I was thinking of doing one of those "what the hell" purchases as it doesn't cost that much to begin with.

I am thinking of it as kind of a beta test to see if I actually like wearable technology. I have never owned anything like that before. I probably wouldn't be using it for much except, checking the time, emails, texts, maybe some fitness tracking here and there. I do workout at the local gym but really only weight lift anyways.

Is it worth it to purchase something so late in the game and is likely to the way of the Zune? Thanks for your replies :)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say that, for what it is, it's a very good device. I've owned two of them, and wear my current one 24-7 minus showers. I've never experienced the band tearing issue that I've read so much about, but I do take extra care of mine, just in case. As long as you are looking for a pure fitness watch with a few notification functions, I think you'll be more than satisfied. It's very good at the fitness side of things. However, if you're looking for a smartwatch experience, I'd recommend not getting one. It just can't compare to the functionality of a true smartwatch.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like my Band, I wouldn't recommend it at this point. Seems MS isn't going to be enhancing the product any further. Not that it's missing much, but I'm thinking more of the long (medium, or even short) term support. I bought mine from BB with the replacement warranty. If it dies, I wouldn't even have the option of swapping it out there as BB isn't even selling them now. Essentially, it seems the writing is on the wall. I think your comparison to the Zune is actually dead on. Good product, that just isn't going to make it.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
With the cancellation of the Lumia line and the launch of the hp elite I don't think a MS band 3 will be coming out. Who knows how long the support will last for the smart match will last, since the mobile line is slowly fading away.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Band line is looking to have a limited future. However, with a significant price drop I was thinking of doing one of those "what the hell" purchases as it doesn't cost that much to begin with.

I am thinking of it as kind of a beta test to see if I actually like wearable technology. I have never owned anything like that before. I probably wouldn't be using it for much except, checking the time, emails, texts, maybe some fitness tracking here and there. I do workout at the local gym but really only weight lift anyways.

Is it worth it to purchase something so late in the game and is likely to the way of the Zune? Thanks for your replies :)

With the news today that Microsoft removed the Band 2 from the Microsoft Store and even the Band 2 SDK (see the ZDNet article), the simple, easy answer is no, don't buy it. Well, maybe as a novelty device. I'd pay $50 for a brand new Band 2, not a refurb.

Remember the Band 2 was released a year ago. The tech that went into the device is more than a year old. Compare with how you buy other mobile devices. Would you buy an older mobile phone when so many newer phones with updated technology have been released unless you got a deep discount for buying old tech?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
With the news today that Microsoft removed the Band 2 from the Microsoft Store and even the Band 2 SDK (see the ZDNet article), the simple, easy answer is no, don't buy it. Well, maybe as a novelty device. I'd pay $50 for a brand new Band 2, not a refurb.

Remember the Band 2 was released a year ago. The tech that went into the device is more than a year old. Compare with how you buy other mobile devices. Would you buy an older mobile phone when so many newer phones with updated technology have been released unless you got a deep discount for buying old tech?

Capture.PNG

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Whether or not the product is cancelled/discontinued really makes no difference at all on whether or not i should like the product. Unless im that insecure and cant walk around with a dated obsolete thing that no one even knows anyways.

The only thing that matters is that it is still supported and the app is there and available. Which it is. I think 174$ USD was a good deal, its not gonna break my bank in the slightest so who cares, its more of a beta device for me to see if i like wearables...i usually was never a big fan of things on my wrists so well see. I am really interested in tracking my sleep, it is just amazing to me how that even works

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Whether or not the product is cancelled/discontinued really makes no difference at all on whether or not i should like the product. Unless im that insecure and cant walk around with a dated obsolete thing that no one even knows anyways.

The only thing that matters is that it is still supported and the app is there and available. Which it is. I think 174$ USD was a good deal, its not gonna break my bank in the slightest so who cares, its more of a beta device for me to see if i like wearables...i usually was never a big fan of things on my wrists so well see. I am really interested in tracking my sleep, it is just amazing to me how that even works

So you still have the Zune you bought when it was discontinued? :wink:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
"Worth" is something only you can decide. Plan on it being functional for about a year. Is it worth the price to dip your toes in and see how you like the tracking and alerts on your wrist?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Add to that the ZDNet article: Microsoft pulls Band listings from its Store; admits no Band 3 this year

Microsoft's previous statement to me about the Band's future didn't mention the fact that the company won't roll out a new Band this year, but it did note that the company is continuing to explore the wearables space.

Wait, no more Band, but still exploring wearable? I'll admit to not always being the brightest bulb, but a "watch" would clearly explain the gap disconnect. Because I don't think anything else really feeds "MS Health" (the web backend). Just sayin'.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
It's a choice for you.. and if you don't have an issue with discontinued devices go for it with full knowledge that it will be soon obsolete, support for the app may well be minimal and the product was flawed in terms of materials used. Two B1 straps and clasp were broken, so into the trash and onto the B2, and after having my B2 replaced the new replacement sits in a box unopened.
I still have both MB1&2 but now wear a Garmin F3HR after also being through the Basis Peak debacle (at least they offered a full money back scheme).

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
So you still have the Zune you bought when it was discontinued? :wink:

Not sure why the wink/joke but yes I do still have the Zune I bought ( I think I bought it right before it was going to be cut just like I did with the Band 2, but I didn't know it at the time. I but the Zune in late 2011, I think September or October)

And yes I have it, and still use it. It was/is a beautiful device that functioned great. I just wish it had BT so I can connect my bose qc35 and Earin earbuds with it, so with those I have to use the phone (Lumia).

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why the wink/joke but yes I do still have the Zune I bought ( I think I bought it right before it was going to be cut just like I did with the Band 2, but I didn't know it at the time. I but the Zune in late 2011, I think September or October)

And yes I have it, and still use it. It was/is a beautiful device that functioned great. I just wish it had BT so I can connect my bose qc35 and Earin earbuds with it, so with those I have to use the phone (Lumia).

Mainly because I haven't seen anyone out and about with a Zune in years. I have a Sandisk mp3 player and a Sony mp3 player in a drawer somewhere. I really don't need or want to carry around an mp3 player along with my phone.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a choice for you.. and if you don't have an issue with discontinued devices go for it with full knowledge that it will be soon obsolete, support for the app may well be minimal and the product was flawed in terms of materials used. Two B1 straps and clasp were broken, so into the trash and onto the B2, and after having my B2 replaced the new replacement sits in a box unopened.
I still have both MB1&2 but now wear a Garmin F3HR after also being through the Basis Peak debacle (at least they offered a full money back scheme).

Since I'm on the subject of old tech devices, my oldest wearable is a Garmin Forerunner 301. More than ten years old. Built solidly like a brick and the GPS and functions still worked. The original battery life was a lucky 13 hours but it didn't hold that long a charge the last time I was curious enough to give it a run. I had a 201 also but I don't even remember when I put it. I don't doubt it would still work too. Garmin built those to last.

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the Band 2 is a great device, the newer ones they are selling aren't as prone to the tearing issue. 1 year isn't that old, and you can get great deals. Also with cell phones at this point, I think it makes fiscal sense for some to buy a device that is 1 year old and save some money.

With the cancellation of the Lumia line and the launch of the hp elite I don't think a MS band 3 will be coming out. Who knows how long the support will last for the smart match will last, since the mobile line is slowly fading away.
I don't see how the success of Lumia is tied to the Band?

I for one think there is a good chance Microsoft comes out with another wearable, obviously this year has been ruled out, but I think spring next year there will be an announcement.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how the success of Lumia is tied to the Band?

It seems that the Band should be tied to a phone from the same company, but yet it delivers a respectable experience on iOS and Android as well. I guess it should be obvious that Lumia and Band should be connected, but based on Microsoft's apparent direction, they certainly do not have to be!

I for one think there is a good chance Microsoft comes out with another wearable, obviously this year has been ruled out, but I think spring next year there will be an announcement.

I'm not sure how a Band 3 fits any of the moves Microsoft has been making lately. But then again, where has logic played into their decisions? :smile:

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
It seems that the Band should be tied to a phone from the same company, but yet it delivers a respectable experience on iOS and Android as well. I guess it should be obvious that Lumia and Band should be connected, but based on Microsoft's apparent direction, they certainly do not have to be!
Yes, my point was basically this:
1. Lumia does not equal Windows Phone
2. As you mentioned, Band works fine on iOS and Android as well

I'm not sure how a Band 3 fits any of the moves Microsoft has been making lately. But then again, where has logic played into their decisions? :smile:
Another wearable doesn't have to be the Band 3, it could be more of a smartwatch. I think they'll take the lessons they learned here, go back to the drawing board, and come up with something better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers