If MS abandons us Band users, what will you get next?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
(Sorry that was supposed to be Abandons).

I bought both the Band and Band 2 the first day each came out. I've truly relied on and love them both. I use the Band 2 for running, hiking and biking as well as daily to discretely screen calls and texts and e-mails. But since it does not appear that MS will come out with a Band 3 or manufacture more 2s and since both my Bands have had to be replaced at some point, it's clear that sooner or later I will need something to replace my Band 2. (Probably right at a critical time when I'm either trying to increase my mileage or race speed or have a big day hike planned).

So the question to start thinking about becomes what to get next. What device out on the market is a versatile and will fit in with run, bike and hike? And does anything work with Windows Phone e-mail and texts?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: If MS Abandons us, what will you get next?

If the GATT support comes soon, Fitbit will be the way to go for most of us that want to stick with WP...

Still don't fully understand why they had to cut the band

danckel

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

If the GATT support comes soon, Fitbit will be the way to go for most of us that want to stick with WP...

Ahum, could you expand on this? What is GATT? And what is WP?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I think you need to wait a bit. I've heard that while Microsoft today might not be manufacturing a band 3 they could have partnered with someone to produce alternate hardware. Just a rumour at this stage.

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

my Band 2 suddenly died. so back to using my original Band. I can wait for a Band 3. I can't stomach the idea of paying $120-250 for a device that does a fraction of what the Band 2 did.

I believe the reports that Band 3 was canceled because it was too hard to get Windows 10 to run on it (even the IOT version). I'm sure they're going back to a much simpler firmware and that's when a Band 3 will be available. Hopefully they build it to be more robust. I was lucky not to have gone through the wrist strap problems.

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Garmin bands worked like charm before anniversary edition but right now they work but not 100%.

I have a vivoactive hr, the notifications work most of the time but not always and if the ble link is broken you need to launch the app to regain connection. However, my notifications needs are only during exercise and that works.

The band it self is everything that I ever wanted for a sports band.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I hope it comes to the production builds pretty soon... as it's pretty crucial for wearables and it's funny how they coded around it with the band sdk... lol. Goes to show that vertical production integration pays off when you develop the hardware :grin:.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

my Band 2 suddenly died. so back to using my original Band. I can wait for a Band 3. I can't stomach the idea of paying $120-250 for a device that does a fraction of what the Band 2 did.

I believe the reports that Band 3 was canceled because it was too hard to get Windows 10 to run on it (even the IOT version). I'm sure they're going back to a much simpler firmware and that's when a Band 3 will be available. Hopefully they build it to be more robust. I was lucky not to have gone through the wrist strap problems.

I dont think they'l come back with custom firmware, they are not into hardware business as their primary focus, their focus is to showcase reference devices for OEMs to pick up.

I think Band3 was scrapped due to 2 reasons, first they couldn't get window 10 iot to work on it, second they could find many takes of its health platform.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm back with Band 2 as I found out mine was still under warranty. Can't wait for a new one to arrive! Still rocking my original Band until Band 2 is back in my hands!

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I went back to my Band 1 when the 2 had battery problems and had to be sent back for warranty work. However I missed the ability to track hikes. Any way, the Band 2 will soon be out of warranty and even if I have a problem before then, I doubt there will be others in stock for MS to replace it with.

The inability to get the Band to work on Windows 10 or IOT excuse story strikes me as weak. Maybe it would have been nice to have Bands work on those systems and would have fit the whole integration concept, but the Bands work absolutely fine now with my Windows 10 phone and Windows 10 fast track Surface. Seems to me MS could have released a new Band to work that way until they eventually figured it out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I think you need to wait a bit. I've heard that while Microsoft today might not be manufacturing a band 3 they could have partnered with someone to produce alternate hardware. Just a rumour at this stage.
On Zac Bowden's piece I made a SWAG alluding to that very scenario. I'm thinking one of two paths: the current hardware doesn't support what they're cooking up next and all-new hardware is required (WP7 to WP8, we've heard that before). Soooo, either MS retools for a new "Band 3" or pulls a BlackBerry and farms out production to a 3rd party. I wish MS would shed just a tiiiiiiny bit of information before the Gloom and Doom society goes off on apocalyptic flights of fantasy.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

I wish MS would shed just a tiiiiiiny bit of information before the Gloom and Doom society goes off on apocalyptic flights of fantasy.
That would be nice. I'm hopeful that we'll learn more in a week and a half. I'm hopeful that the end of Band 2 supply was timed to run out the inventory before "the big announcement".

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
My Band 2 has been working very well since I bought it in July. Suddenly yesterday it would not charge. Even when I hooked it up to the cable it wouldn't give that buzz indicating it was getting power. It would wake up, ask for the time, but then die out again while plugged in. Took it to the MS Store and the rep said ~30% of Band 2s have some battery issue that he said mine had. He also said Band 2s were pulled production because of some design problem and if they didn't have a replacement Band 2 in my size at the store they'd replace it with a Fitbit Blaze.
- That didn't seem to preclude an eventual Band 3.
- I guess MS's response to the OP's question might be a FB Blaze.
- The guy was a sales rep in the store and might or might not know the complete story but I thought it was interesting.
- Service was excellent though. In and out with a new Band2 and a credit for a replacement screen protector.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
W10M IoT seems like a wasted effort on a device like the Band, it's like they were putting it on there just for the sake of it, it never needed to run full apps on the screen tbh,

They could make a smart watch for that more like the Apple Watch if they really want to I guess.

I'm back on my original Band whilst my Band 2 is in for it's second replacement, I forgot how ghetto it was lol. Battery life is superb though

Sent from Microsoft Band

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Windows Central always use the words "worked around" and "cheated" when they talk about the Bands SMS feature but it wasn't cheating it's just an alternative way of doing it - The API's were potentially open to others but you did need Approval from MS to request the Notifications permission - I'd guess nobody was interested in doing that - Fair enough when the rest of the industry standardised on GATT for wearables communicating with phones for the most part.

At least GATT will be here for Insiders soon and FitBit have confirmed they will add support as soon as they possibly can once GATT drops

Sent from Microsoft Band

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
An iPhone 7 and Apple Watch.

While I'm not a huge Apple fan, I do have an iPhone and I think the Watch is likely where I'd go right now. The watch is certainly a much better looking option than the Garmin Vivoactive which I think is the closest match to the band for features. But the Garmin is just so ugly. It looks like the original Band, but twice the size.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
While I'm not a huge Apple fan, I do have an iPhone and I think the Watch is likely where I'd go right now.
And since I have Android, I'd have a hard look at the Android Wear stuff. I don't need athletic functions as much as basic fitness encouragement and notifications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99