12-22-2017 10:13 AM
71 123
tools
    Calendar works for me. Sorry, maybe it's your calendar connection/setup instead of Cortana.

I have my Smartthings hub hooked up and use the Invoke for smart home commands, works great.
    12-03-2017 09:05 PM
    Is anybody else experiencing regular false Cortana wakeups? Every 45 minutes to an hour or so, Cortana's notification tone sounds off as if I've said "Hey, Cortana.". She seems to be very sensitive to sounds that are remotely similar to those key words or something is wrong.
    Just checked the Cortana app to see if anything is being recorded, but nothing is.
    12-04-2017 05:53 AM
    Two Invoke at the same time? Just curious, if one of you says "Hey Cortana", what is going to happen?
    We keep them separated in different areas, one upstairs and one downstairs. They both respond to anyone's voice so I'm sure both would respond if there were two of the Invokes close enough to hear "Hey Cortona".
    12-04-2017 07:01 AM
    Is anybody else experiencing regular false Cortana wakeups? Every 45 minutes to an hour or so, Cortana's notification tone sounds off as if I've said "Hey, Cortana.". She seems to be very sensitive to sounds that are remotely similar to those key words or something is wrong.
    Just checked the Cortana app to see if anything is being recorded, but nothing is.
    We don't have the notification tone turned on, but I do have a vague memory of seeing the lights, on the top of the Invoke, blink on for a few seconds.
    12-04-2017 07:10 AM
    We don't have the notification tone turned on, but I do have a vague memory of seeing the lights, on the top of the Invoke, blink on for a few seconds.
    I guess I'm going to be forced to turn off the notification sounds. 😟
    12-04-2017 07:28 AM
    Yes @Scienceguy Labs, I'm experiencing the exact same thing (also with no recording, that is noted). I have mine installed right next to the main downstairs TV, and when it chimes in, neither of the KEY trigger words ("Hey" or "Cortana") had been mentioned, just the listing indicator sound; other times its chimed in, in reaction to a simple conversation.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    12-04-2017 07:38 AM
    Moved from an Echo to the Black Friday invoke. Couple observations.

The Invoke is loud. Like really loud. I keep it around 10%-30%. But the actual voice could be tuned up a little higher relative to the music etc that plays. I have a hard time hearing the ping that let's me know she heard "Hey Cortana." My wife hates this, she can never trigger the device for some reason.

I'm also trying out spotify premium atm (99 cents for three months I think) and my favorite thing so far is launching what I'm listening to from my laptop/phone through the spotify app onto my Invoke. It's so simple. I don't know if the Echo Dot did this, but it's probably my favorite thing.

I miss Audible integration.

Phone calls are interesting but annoying to set up the first time. Otherwise they work perfect and if you're in the same room as the person you're calling it'll make a funny wub sound. I might try making a local business call at some point. (Also they show up as Unknown on Caller ID, just a heads up)

one of the most frustrating things so far is her stupid response "I can't help you with that right now" and how sparse the app is. I'd like to see more integration for non-Hub smart items. Like my TP-Link plugs.

I enjoy Cortana's sass. I told her yesterday Happy Birthday, she one said it wasn't her birthday and then accused me of forgetting.
    12-04-2017 12:44 PM
    For Caller ID, you need to set up you ID in Skype first; otherwise, it is shown as unknown. I believe it's left blank by default.

What is interesting is that you can type in any number as your phone number.
    12-04-2017 02:52 PM
    Calendar works for me. Sorry, maybe it's your calendar connection/setup instead of Cortana.

I have my Smartthings hub hooked up and use the Invoke for smart home commands, works great.
    What phone did you use to set up your Invoke? I suspect that Microsoft treated us Windows Mobile users as second class citizen, and gave us incomplete features.
    12-04-2017 02:56 PM
    I have the same issue. It waked up even if nobody called her. But I am not sure if it really waked fully up to the listening phase, it never recorded anything in her history book.
    12-04-2017 03:02 PM
    Invoke just delivers a shock to me, a huge shock.

If you go to check you Microsoft account using a web browser, there is a Privacy tab. Click into the tab, scroll down, there is a button to "view and clear your voice activity". It will show when you called Cortana, and what you asked her to do. All your voice commands were recorded. I can replay them to hear myself clear and loud.

When I scrolled down to see what I asked yesterday, I noticed there is one entry "Play twit live." I never asked Cortana to do that since I never knew what twit live is. (I do now, a quick search tells me that it is somewhat a radio talk show). I click to hear the voice, IT IS NOT MINE. I then scrolled down, and noticed a few more suspicious ones. There is one "Pause it", it is NOT my voice, the audio environment does NOT sound like the room I placed my Invoke. A third one is "Stop", NOT my voice, and it is the very first voice command in a day, which means I haven't asked Cortana to do anything yet, then why would I asked her to stop?

This made me thinking: do somebody else's voices get recorded under my account? Is it equally possible that something I said got recorded so someone else can hear it? All 3 entries were from the same day (yesterday). Were there some system glitches on the server side?

Whom should I contact to clarify this issue? It totally shadows my trust of Invoke and Microsoft in general. Considering the recent delays after delays in their software development, I seriously believe their coders are not as competent as they should be.
    12-04-2017 03:27 PM
    Invoke just delivers a shock to me, a huge shock.

If you go to check you Microsoft account using a web browser, there is a Privacy tab. Click into the tab, scroll down, there is a button to "view and clear your voice activity". It will show when you called Cortana, and what you asked her to do. All your voice commands were recorded. I can replay them to hear myself clear and loud.

When I scrolled down to see what I asked yesterday, I noticed there is one entry "Play twit live." I never asked Cortana to do that since I never knew what twit live is. (I do now, a quick search tells me that it is somewhat a radio talk show). I click to hear the voice, IT IS NOT MINE. I then scrolled down, and noticed a few more suspicious ones. There is one "Pause it", it is NOT my voice, the audio environment does NOT sound like the room I placed my Invoke. A third one is "Stop", NOT my voice, and it is the very first voice command in a day, which means I haven't asked Cortana to do anything yet, then why would I asked her to stop?

This made me thinking: do somebody else's voices get recorded under my account? Is it equally possible that something I said got recorded so someone else can hear it? All 3 entries were from the same day (yesterday). Were there some system glitches on the server side?

Whom should I contact to clarify this issue? It totally shadows my trust of Invoke and Microsoft in general. Considering the recent delays after delays in their software development, I seriously believe their coders are not as competent as they should be.
    Wow. Very interesting.
    Is your Invoke near a TV? Does someone else live in your house with you?
    A good way to test this out would be to mute your Invoke for a day or so and monitor your voice history.
    jbrown9100 likes this.
    12-04-2017 04:57 PM
    Ok, so I just visited my voice history on my account too. It seems that some of the random listening notifications that I've been getting are actually times when Cortana has been triggered by something that she heard on my TV. I too had odd recordings in my history that were not my voice. However, listening to them again, I realize that one recording was that of my local news broadcast. Another was that of a snippet from an episode of Little House on the Prairie. I had my Invoke sitting on the entertainment center next to my TV. I moved it too a different location yesterday, but still get random listening notifications. But I have not had any more odd recordings since I moved it. Bottom line...Cortana is triggered very easily by words that sound remotely similar to "Hey, Cortana".
    nate0 and mtf1380 like this.
    12-04-2017 05:08 PM
    Would you be able to post photos of the two adapters?
    12-05-2017 09:45 AM
    Would live a way to change the invoke word. Saying Hey Cortana also activates the PC and XBONE.
    12-05-2017 09:47 AM
    I love Invoke. I use it everyday. The sound quality is awesome and I have been surprised as to how well the microphone array works. I look forward to discovering new features in Cortana. Integration with Insteon is nice.
    jbrown9100 likes this.
    12-05-2017 09:47 AM
    The Invoke is an amazing speaker. I bought mine in the 5th Avenue MS Store and was flabbergasted that the music that was filling the ground and mezzanine floors was from a single Invoke - at about 30-40% volume.

The sound is amazingly clear, crisp and with a nice deep bass.

Would we recommend the Invoke? That would be a qualified 'Yes'.

The "Harman Kardon Invoke voice-activated speaker with Cortana by Microsoft", to give it it's full title, is a wonderful speaker and a great audio addition to any room. The design is made for the device to become invisible and blend into almost any environment - you don't want to see the speaker, you want to hear it. The Invoke fulfils that brief excellently well, the sound does the talking for this device.

As a Smart Speaker, the Invoke has some advantages over its competitors - the sound is crisper, louder and deeper than an Echo; the integration with Cortana on your other devices makes it easy to integrate into your life; the precise local knowledge in some aspects is better than Alexa, but the Echo and Google Home devices can be better for finding audio content.

Microsoft is updating Cortana at a frequent pace, adding skills and functions that were not there at launch for the Invoke, so it is possible that it can catch up on functionality available elsewhere.

Actually for Black Friday, Microsoft were offering this device for $99, as opposed to $199. At that price we would change this from a 'qualified yes' to a definite yes. As a quality Bluetooth speaker it would not be rivalled at that price - the Cortana part is a bonus on top of that (and if that Microsoft / Amazon AI partnership ever actually comes about, then you'll have Alexa on the device as well).
    jbrown9100 likes this.
    12-05-2017 10:26 AM
    We have been using the Invoke in Ireland and it is great, apart from a few glitches trying to get local stations up on TuneIn, and it doesn't have local news skills like Alexa on an Echo Dot.

The sound is amazing and fills a room. The 'Oirish' accent sometimes gives Cortana pause, as she occasionally takes some commands and makes a pigs breakfast of them - even though the same commands work on a Windows 10 PC or Phone.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    12-05-2017 10:29 AM
    My experience with the Invoke is wanting one and not being able because it's not available for my country/language. An awful experience, mind you.
    12-05-2017 11:09 AM
    I also bought one on Black Friday, but still waiting for delivery. Can't wait to play with it though!
    12-05-2017 11:31 AM
    I am really enjoying my Invoke. I setup it up just fine from my windows 10 computer. I like that I can chose a primary music service (iHeart, Spotity, TuneIn) so I can say play Queen it will use that by default. But you can override by saying Play Christmas classics on iHeart radio.

I have used it for reminders and it worked great. I tested with remide me to pick up milk at Costco, remind me to take the trash out Thrusday at 6:00 pm. All worked great.

And then the additional skills: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=2hS2AHD8

I like that it has "sleep sounds" so you can ask Cortana to play white noise, remote thunderstorm, etc. What I am missing though is direct access to my home automation system. They support Wink and SmartThings, but I use Vera. Hopefully a skill will come for that soon.

In summary my experience has been flawless and got it for $99 on black Friday and it showed up on my door Saturday. Sound is great.
    12-05-2017 11:47 AM
    I am really enjoying my Invoke. I setup it up just fine from my windows 10 computer. I like that I can chose a primary music service (iHeart, Spotity, TuneIn) so I can say play Queen it will use that by default. But you can override by saying Play Christmas classics on iHeart radio.

I have used it for reminders and it worked great. I tested with remide me to pick up milk at Costco, remind me to take the trash out Thrusday at 6:00 pm. All worked great.

And then the additional skills: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=nahRyPTq

I like that it has "sleep sounds" so you can ask Cortana to play white noise, remote thunderstorm, etc. What I am missing though is direct access to my home automation system. They support Wink and SmartThings, but I use Vera. Hopefully a skill will come for that soon.

In summary my experience has been flawless and got it for $99 on black Friday and it showed up on my door Saturday. Sound is great.
    12-05-2017 11:48 AM
    This is my feedback so far :
    - Setup was a breeze, boot it up, headed down the Cortana app and it was smooth.
    - The Invoke received a firmware update and didn't see any issue with the process.
    - Sound quality is amazing and clearly a step up from Google Home.
    - Mic sensitivity is a lot better than Google Home. I can talk to Cortana from very far, it feels that it has a better range than Google Home.
    - The LED on top is cooler than Google Home.
    - Cortana voice is really natural.
    - Office 365 integration from my work is a definitive +1 comparing to Google Home. "What's my calendar today become a lot more useful"
    - Speech recognition works pretty well, even with a foreign accent like mine.

What doesn't work so well :
    - Unlike Google Home (not sure Alexa) if I say "Hey Cortana" it wakes up all the Cortana devices I have, which include my PCs and phones. Problem is that if I happen to be close to one and say "Add a reminder to do X" then the reminder gets added twice, or Cortana answers twice which is a bit annoying. Google Home used to be that way and they somewhat fixed it by always giving priority to one device (the first one submitting the request and some other logic with mic level to see if you were closer to one or the other). It's not perfect but it works.
    - Spotify voice search is a bit inferior than say Google Home. Sometimes Cortana is unable to pick the context, for example if you say "Play *artist* from *country*, *country* is simply ignored and Cortana will match the first artist with a similar name. It's unfortunate because so many artists have similar names these days and she sometimes returns me totally unknown artists or old school ones rather than picking popular ones.
    - Asking to play a song doesn't continue playback when the song is finished. On Google Home if I ask a song on Spotify it will play the song and then continue playing similar songs (whether style or artist). Invoke simply stop playing after the given song.
    - Cortana is unable to learn my inner circle (like back in Windows Phone). That's not specific to Invoke though, Cortana on PC, Cortana on Android are unable to learn about who is my wife. My wife has a foreigner name so it's easier to ask about "my wife" than her name.
    - Cortana is unable to learn how to pronounce names so Skype calling is finicky.
    - No multi user support which is a bummer for calendar and Spotify
    - No casting support whatsoever : no way to ask her to play videos on a Google Cast in the house, or even on the PC. Same for showing pictures. I can't say : "Show me the pictures of last week end in my office PC". Google Home can do that.
    - Kids voice recognition is not as good as Google Home. My 6 years old daughter struggles a lot more to trigger Hey Cortana than Ok Google. And she says it correctly, the Invoke just doesn't pick it up.

Overall I'm happy with the device. I hope Microsoft will continue doing improvements on it, especially with the claim that they are better at speech than some competitors. They need data to improve their system so hopefully if they keep committing on the product and updates they'll get more users and more data.
    12-05-2017 11:50 AM
    So I've had an Invoke since they started the beta testing almost 6 months ago. The first one I got was a dud, it had hardware problems, and they quickly sent me a new one.

I loved it when it had integration with Groove music. But that got cancelled and removed. I don't have a Spotify subscription, so I don't use it for music much. You can, however, listen to streaming radio stations through tunein. The sound is GREAT on this thing. It also came with a skype subscription, which I already had one via my office 365 subscription. I've made one or two calls on it, but I always have my Lumia 950 on me, and usually use that.

Occasionally I have it put things on lists. Occasionally I will ask it questions. I don't have any smart devices it can control.

So for me, it mostly sits in my kitchen unused.

If it had multi-user support, it might be better, mostly for adding things to calendars.

If it could access my music collection in onedrive, it would be awesome!
    12-05-2017 12:17 PM
    I bought one as a that "unnecessary Christmas gift to myself". No regrets here. The extra $$ for noticeably better audio from the speaker was worth it. Cortana is perfectly capable.
    Negatives: The cable is embarrassingly short. Not a deal breaker, but, it's noticeably short. Cortana skills ("apps"?) needs bolstering. Not a deal breaker for me, but for others no doubt. Lastly: Bluetooth doesn't connect to my moto g5 plus. It has paired with multiple other devices, so it's something to do with the phone, but if it does it w mine (and my wife's) doubtless that same Bluetooth hardware/stack/what have you exists elsewhere, and someone needs to do something about it.
    12-05-2017 12:51 PM
71 123