12-08-2017 12:35 AM
67 123
tools
    I got two, one for my bedroom and one for my kitchen... I love it so far, but I'm waiting on Pandora and multi-room listening.
    Other than that, so much happier with this over google home and amazon echo. Those have more features, but the sound is/was crap and the devices are uglier.
    Giving my google home away, took the echo to work...
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-05-2017 02:19 PM
    Does the Invoke have room to room ability?
    12-05-2017 02:28 PM
    Cortana is triggered very easily by words that sound remotely similar to "Hey, Cortana".
    I'm not even sure that the "Hey" part is necessary. Mine seems to trigger when I say anything remotely close to "Cortana". I agree that it needs a way to "train" the device for a wake-up phrase like Windows Phone/Mobile has done for a long time.
    12-05-2017 02:29 PM
    I hope the touch panel on top of Invoke is more sensitive. Sometimes, I feel I have to tap so hard on it to do the function, it even shakes the device. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it.
    The touch area is actually a ring around the middle. Try simply tapping between the center and the edge.
    12-05-2017 02:35 PM
    The touch area is a ring between the center and the edge. Try tapping lightly in that area.
    12-05-2017 02:38 PM
    I got one at the black Friday sale for use as a music speaker in my office while I work. My impressions of it thus far...

1) Sound quality is excellent. Very first time I fired it up, I actually had to lower the volume some as even at medium-high volume, they could hear it from the very back of my office.
    2) Voice commands are excellent so far. As someone who uses a lot of Apple products, I am continually impressed by Cortana's speech recognition.
    3) Connection to my Spotify and Office 365 accounts were incredibly easy and painless. Whole process took about 2 or 3 minutes.
    4) Cortana and I have very different ideas of what "relaxing music" means. I asked her to play "something relaxing" and she gave me a country music playlist. Considering I'm a classical music/jazz kind of guy when I want to relax, this was not what I was expecting but it was amusing all the same
    5) Bluetooth I've had mixed experiences with. Not when it's actually paired, then everything is great, but pushing and even holding the pair button didn't make it recognizable to my MacBook or my iPhone. Telling it to "Hey Cortana, pair Bluetooth" worked great though.

Overall I'm very pleased with it. It does everything it said it will do and it does it very well. I'm hoping Cortana adds Apple Music to its apps it can control once it comes to the Windows Store but we'll see.
    12-05-2017 03:19 PM
    I'm really liking my Invoke so far. I wish I could stream Deezer with it. But I have it playing everyday. I haven't tried using it for appointment reminders yet. I should do that because I set them on my phone all the time. Usually I'm out somewhere reminding myself to do something outside the house so I guess I haven't really had a need to use that feature on the invoke. Would be cool if it knew to give a special greeting on holidays. Like you wake up on Christmas and Cortana sings, I wish you a merry Christmas. :-)
    12-05-2017 03:49 PM
    What phone did you use to set up your Invoke? I suspect that Microsoft treated us Windows Mobile users as second class citizen, and gave us incomplete features.
    Essential PH-1

...Android.

I stopped torturing myself months ago when I bought the S8. Now my 950 is collecting dust with the rest of my Windows phones.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!
    I forgot, I actually used my Surface Pro 3.
    12-05-2017 07:26 PM
    Would live a way to change the invoke word. Saying Hey Cortana also activates the PC and XBONE.
    You can change the Xbox trigger back to "Xbox" like it used to be.
    12-05-2017 07:32 PM
    I own 2 Invokes and mostly use them with Spotify and home automation (Insteon). The sound is very good and the mics are very sensitive as it will hear commands while in other adjacent rooms. My only major disappointment, or wish, is the fact that I can't play my OneDrive music (I can using bluetooth of course, but that requires a PC). I also own an Echo Dot, and it's clear that Alexa has a leg up on Cortana in skills. I really hope MS continues expanding Cortana's capabilities and 3rd party skills, and doesn't, or hasn't thrown in the towel on her. But, for right now Cortana does almost everything I need/want so I end up using the Invokes much more than my Dot.

For $99 I think the Invoke is a great buy.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-05-2017 08:40 PM
    I bought 2 on black Friday because that was a steal of a deal. I put one in the kitchen and one in the living room (next to my Sonos 3). The sound quality is great. I got home today and music was playing, I foolishly assumed it was from the Sonos but they were listening on the Invoke. I have Philip Hue bulbs and a Nest thermostat so it controls my 'smart houses as it currently stands. If they add multi-room support, Xbox control, and multi-user support...oooh!
    12-06-2017 12:48 AM
    True. But I still have issues with our PC and two other Invokes. Would be nice to have a way to change the command like the Echo has.
    12-06-2017 01:03 AM
    Just ordered 2 more, one for upstairs, one for the barn:)
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    12-06-2017 08:17 AM
    I finally got the calendar access issue figured out.

I have my Office365 and Outlook connected with Cortana on my phone 950xl. Obviously, when one asks Invoke for calendar related things, it first tries Office365. Then there problem begins. As a university faculty member, I got free Office365 through my school email address. But my school use Google service for email and calendar, so my Office365 is not a complete service. It allows me download Office suite, and offers Outlook for Business, but does not provide email or calendar. So when Invoke accesses my Office365, it hits a wall.

After I experimented removing Office 365 connection in my phone Cortana, all my calendar related requests receive correct responses from Invoke.

I also noticed that after I connected Office365 back to Cortana, if I specifically ask Invoke to access my personal calendar or Outlook calendar, it will correctly do that.
    12-06-2017 02:34 PM
    It appears that Invoke Cortana and phone Cortana work differently.

On my phone 950xl, when I ask "what's on my calendar", it pulls results from my Outlook calendar, Outlook family calendar, personal gmail calendar and Googled sponsored work domain calendar. If I ask results from one specific calendar, it still shows me results from all.

However, on Invoke, it can access my Outlook and personal gmail calendar, and I can ask results from one calendar at a time, but not my Outlook family calendar nor my work calendar.

This probably suggests that the implementation of Cortana on the server side is fragmented, probably due to some technical challenges Microsoft hasn't figured out. Microsoft, shape up.
    12-06-2017 02:53 PM
    For the privacy shock Invoke gave me a few days back, I did more digging. If I had any very slim doubt that the voices I heard were actually mine, I simply forgot them and microphone distortion made them sound not like mine. I don't now.

I compare the voice history in my Microsoft Account privacy setting, and the Invoke voice history in my phone Cortana app. All my own voices are recorded in both places, but those not-mine voices are only in my Microsoft Account. Again, Microsoft screwed up.

If Microsoft let me hear someone else's voice, it probably let them hear mine as well. I hope there is an easy way I can download those voices and put it here, probably they belong to some of our forum members. That will be fun.
    12-06-2017 03:11 PM
    I finally got the calendar access issue figured out.

I have my Office365 and Outlook connected with Cortana on my phone 950xl. Obviously, when one asks Invoke for calendar related things, it first tries Office365. Then there problem begins. As a university faculty member, I got free Office365 through my school email address. But my school use Google service for email and calendar, so my Office365 is not a complete service. It allows me download Office suite, and offers Outlook for Business, but does not provide email or calendar. So when Invoke accesses my Office365, it hits a wall.

After I experimented removing Office 365 connection in my phone Cortana, all my calendar related requests receive correct responses from Invoke.

I also noticed that after I connected Office365 back to Cortana, if I specifically ask Invoke to access my personal calendar or Outlook calendar, it will correctly do that.
    You don't have to remove your Office 365, you can just connect your Google calendars to Outlook.
    12-08-2017 12:35 AM
67 123