SmartHome with a Windows Ecosystem? Anyone?

DiogoSousa

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking on starting a new home project.
Basically what to create a "smart home" based on a Windows Ecosystem.

So...the first thing I would like would be to have "something" that can monitor my energy consumption and show it on some kind of dashboard.

Does anyone have something like this?

Best Regards,
Diogo Sousa

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to do this as well. I current have ecobee thermostats (at the recommendation of this website) but i was sad to see that ecobee isn't listed in the "connected home" section on Cortana, while Nest is. (see image) connected home.jpg I sent an email to ecobee about that and they said, no plans to support Cortana and Connected Home, but they would take it as a suggestion. :( I'm waiting to hear about Microsoft's GLAS (the Cortana thermostat).

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-reveals-glas-gorgeous-cortana-powered-thermostat-0

Pairadyce

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'd like to do this as well. I current have ecobee thermostats (at the recommendation of this website) but i was sad to see that ecobee isn't listed in the "connected home" section on Cortana, while Nest is. (see image) View attachment 138419 I sent an email to ecobee about that and they said, no plans to support Cortana and Connected Home, but they would take it as a suggestion. :( I'm waiting to hear about Microsoft's GLAS (the Cortana thermostat).

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-reveals-glas-gorgeous-cortana-powered-thermostat-0

I have an ecobee4 connected through a SmartThings hub which was on sale for $50. If you want Cortana to connect to your smart devices, you should look at one of the hubs mentioned in the Connected Home section. I doubt we will get a lot of direct Cortana integrations due to lack of Microsoft support by developers but from what I've seen, working through a hub you get the same results and have access to the same products as others.

I would caution you on waiting for GLAS... I got a WiserAir because it had an official Windows 10 Mobile app, was sold on Microsoft's website, and had good features. After a year of no updates and disappearing from Microsoft's store I emailed Schneider and they said they had halted development. While the device still worked fine and all, it was disappointing to try and support the product only to have it fizzle away. I don't think GLAS would have the same problem but just be weary that you will be waiting for a long time and given that Nest and Ecobee are dominated the Smart Home space, I doubt this will get much traction in the consumer market and will be positioned towards businesses and niche clients that Johnson Controls works with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss