Plasti Dip for Band repair

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone ever try Plasti Dip to repair a tear in the Band 1 or 2. Its mostly used on cars. its a sprayable rubber like coating that seals and protects. For most materials it peels off easily, but on the Band, it should be permanent. I've been using it recently, and I'm so impressed, I'm going to pick up a used Band 2 and apply it when a rip inevitiably occurs.

If you decided to try it, mask off the band well, and try your best to spray multiple light coats. Most hardware stores sell it for $6.00 a can.

Last edited:

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, I decided to test out my theory. I grabbed a slightly damaged Band 2 on ebay. Here are the results: The first pic shows the original damage. Fairly minor, but would get progressively worse over time. The second pic shows the same area after 3 coats of Plasti Dip. I could have gotten a smoother finish had I waited longer between coats. I also scratched the final coat, which is visible in the photo. The last pic shows where the Plasti dip ends on the band, in contrast to the orignal rubbery material. If things don't last, I will post an update.
Band Pic 1.jpgBand Pic 3.jpgBand pic 2.jpg

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Seems like a better solution than Sugru assuming it holds. My current Band 2 is almost 1 year old and Sugrued on both sides for 6 months. I now have a third crack developing near the battery and may consider Plasti Dip instead of Sugru.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe Sugru may be best for patching cuts. If I had some on hand, I would have applied Sugru first, then coated it with Plasti dip. I expect the edges to start peeling eventually, but its easy to peel it completely off and respray. My bad was out of commission for a total of 3 hours for the duration of 3 coats and curing time.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, it was a failure. The Plasti Dip started peeling a little after a week. I don't recommend this way, unless you dont mind repainting on a weekly basis. I hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up. Sugru seems like the best temporary fix at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786